HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 1:40 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

there's a whole chunk of the podium glazed this morning.. i'll get a picture later... so much that i think it's the finished glazing pattern

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 1:41 PM
the first stamp is free

Quote:
So they're spending hundreds of millions to end up with poorer working conditions than they have now? While it could be a case of excessive complaining, isn't it potentially significant if the building is actually going to be uncomfortable and not conducive to work? I don't consider my "personal office" a "perk" but rather a fairly necessary condition of doing my job well.
^ well either way, the new building will have windows they can actually open up...

I am sure it's simply a case of the building designers being overly cautious in their claims and older grumpy employees being overly, well - old.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2007, 1:54 PM
Closed account

I've heard the same complaints from my contacts at Hydro. However, most of them are philosophical about it - quite a few who are being downgraded from offices to cubicles will at least have windows on one side, and they seem to accept that trade-off.

Most are concerned about noise levels, and how well the white-noise generators will cancel out the office sounds. It seems there will be adjustable settings scattered about to increase/decrease the white noise according to user preferences.

May 2008 is still the target date for move in, but is close to slipping again.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:45 AM
surely you agree with me

that office space will be so incredible that these pinheads who like working in their ofice park strip malls will eat their words.....yes, sustainable buildings have a broader range of temperatures, but personal comfort is not compromised with the controlability of their environment.

people are so opposed to change it makes me crazy...they are getting one of the best office buildings in canada and they now work in a piece of shit...yet they still complain.....i would kill to work in a building like that.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 5:49 AM
Canadian Urbanite

So what's going in the old building?

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 6:00 AM
surely you agree with me

hydro is currently spread out over a number of buildings in the suburbs and a couple of floors in a downtown building.....they have one major suburban building that will remain in use....departments that dont really deserve 200 dollar per square foor floor space, like the printshop will stay there.

i wish they would have closed it and added a few floors to the tower...it wouldnt be so stumpy then.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:00 PM
What could go wrong?

They are keeping the offices on Taylor because there are some very complex systems and departments there that they deemed too expensive to try and relocate to the new building.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 2:36 PM

They also have an unmarked high security office off of Scurfield that will be moved as well I'm told.

Old Posted Apr 19, 2007, 10:54 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
hydro is currently spread out over a number of buildings in the suburbs and a couple of floors in a downtown building.....they have one major suburban building that will remain in use....departments that dont really deserve 200 dollar per square foor floor space, like the printshop will stay there.

i wish they would have closed it and added a few floors to the tower...it wouldnt be so stumpy then.
I wouild imagine they will keep a few of the current sites, as some of them also double as compounds for Hydro vehicles and large electrical equipment, as well of mechanical buildings and warehouses. I would think they will keep at least 3 of these compound/sites, maybe more. It must be realized that Hydro is not just a simple office operation. They do require alot of space, which can't be contained in a office building. The Nortre Dame site alone contains warehouses for a variety of things including christmas lights, a paint shop (those large electrical boxes don't come green) .. hazmat material, vehicle washing equipment in a heated warehouse, an electrical lab building and acres of space of large wire spools and other very large components. There is also a similar site in the south end of the city, which is even larger. I am sure they will sell of a few of the less important locations, but Hydro will always have a significant presence outside of downtown.

As for the printshop... called the production room, which is currently in the basement of Taylor, may not have made a great resident of the new tower, as it uses some temperature sensitive equipment and also produces alot of fumes, which wouldn't work well in a buildings which cycles its air. I have also been told the executive offices will be staying at Taylor Ave.

Last edited by newflyer; Apr 19, 2007 at 11:06 PM.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 12:41 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

what about their offices in pointdouglas?

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 1:16 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

I took this while driving by this afternoon. Starting to get tall. Sorry for the slantiness.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 1:47 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

great shot

hope you posted it in the other hydro thread... link in my sig

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 1:55 AM
Robot Hand is the Future

Thanks 1ajs. I posted some new photos in the construction thread and the 'post some pictures of your city' in the Canada forum too.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 3:23 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
I have also been told the executive offices will be staying at Taylor Ave.
Word I have is that Brennan will be on the first office floor while the rest of the executive offices will be top floor (21 I believe). This comes from a future resident of the 20th floor.

Old Posted Apr 20, 2007, 10:34 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by fengshui View Post
Word I have is that Brennan will be on the first office floor while the rest of the executive offices will be top floor (21 I believe). This comes from a future resident of the 20th floor.
Okay .. well my information is a couple years old. This may have changed due to optics of wanting a true head office and not just a operations office.

Good to see big Bob Brennan coming downtown.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 7:43 PM
What could go wrong?

I drove by the Hydro Building this afternoon and i can tell you that the glass you see in the previous pictures is definately not test fit glass. It is complete around the entire back end podium and looks great. I personally love the look of the glass and its charcol colour. It will look different than the blue in the renderings but i love it. It is one big building!

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 8:01 PM
http://www.archiseek.com

according to a chat I had last night the podium should be completely glazed in and sealed by july

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 11:29 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
I drove by the Hydro Building this afternoon and i can tell you that the glass you see in the previous pictures is definately not test fit glass. It is complete around the entire back end podium and looks great. I personally love the look of the glass and its charcol colour. It will look different than the blue in the renderings but i love it. It is one big building!
I agree I think it looks amazing!!! The charcoal glass is great.

Any new pics??

Last edited by newflyer; Apr 24, 2007 at 11:58 PM.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2007, 11:53 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Old Posted Apr 26, 2007, 7:31 PM
Closed account

The building was on the cover of Canadian Consulting Engineer's March/April 2007 magazine. No new renders or photos though.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan