HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 2:05 AM

UPDATE: Grand Hyatt opening delayed again

Web Posted: 02/13/2008 03:00 PM CST

Melissa S. Monroe
Express-News Business Writer
The date of the opening of the luxury convention center hotel has been pushed back a second time to March 19, city officials confirmed Wednesday.

Just last month, developer and general contractor FaulknerUSA of Austin said it agreed to push back the opening date of the Grand Hyatt from Feb. 6 to Feb. 26. Groups planned at the 1,000-room hotel are being moved again to other downtown hotels.

"Hyatt is moving all its groups through March 19 so that they can train the staff and focus on being ready for the Final Four," said Michael Sawaya, the city's director of convention, sports and entertainment facilities.

Sawaya said the city is not concerned about the second delay, despite the fast-approaching NCAA Final Four men's basketball tournament scheduled for April 4-7 at the Alamodome. The tournament is expected to bring 45,000 tourists to the city -- many of them with reservations at the Grand Hyatt.

But the more time Faulkner needs, the more fines it has to pay. Every day it has missed since the original Feb. 6 opening deadline, it's paying $70,300 a day to a fund that goes to make bond payments in January and July.

Some workers don't think the new March 19 deadline is realistic. Several employees at the job site Thursday said the project was at least three months behind schedule.

The project is being partly financed with $208 million in taxable and tax-exempt bonds, with the remainder being financed through Hotel Investments LP, which includes FaulknerUSA and Marathon Real Estate.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:28 AM

LAME!!!!!!!!!!! I want to have an excuse to see IU in the final four and to see this thing in real life!!!

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:29 AM

Not a surprise; The one month delay didn't seem realistic.

When we were there in January, Memorial Day seemed like a more realistic opening. There was too much to be done on the outside. I could only imagine what the inside was like.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 5:34 AM
Meh

Faulkner really dropped the ball on this one. Contractor payment issues, behind schedule, and I still don't like the design. I think San Antonio deserves much better than what it got. I hope Faulkner doesn't get the contract for Austin's new Marriott convention center hotel. I'd be pissed.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 5:37 AM

That is going to be a terrible mess if its not done for the final four.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 6:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Faulkner really dropped the ball on this one. Contractor payment issues, behind schedule, and I still don't like the design. I think San Antonio deserves much better than what it got. I hope Faulkner doesn't get the contract for Austin's new Marriott convention center hotel. I'd be pissed.
What happened, I thought you were starting to like the design haha.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 9:06 AM
Meh

I just think it could have been better. It has some nice points, but I would definitely change a few things. And like I said, I certainly feel like San Antonio deserves better than what it got.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 2:32 PM
Endless Moments...

Here, here...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 3:46 PM
James

I think with the design, all of us are just trying to be optimistic. This is what we have, there is no need to complain about it anymore. But as for Faulkner, I hope we never get a contract from them again, let alone anyone else.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2008, 4:17 PM

I'm just happy that we have a new skyscraper

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio