HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 7:03 PM
My Mind Has Left My Body

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
This is silly, Chicago gets tons of tourism. It's near the top of the nation. It totally blows SF away. The primary issue is relative lack of international tourism. That needs to be the new focus
Really? Where do you get that? That would surprise me but then again I guess the population of the region within a 2-5 hour drive of Chicago is a lot bigger then San Fran. We do get a crap load of neighbor state tourist though we could always use more.

It's just hard from an international perspective. With good reason if I were an overseas tourist I can see why they would gravitate leisure trips to the megalopolis on the East Coast or California. You can see so multiple awesome natural and urban locales within an 6-8 hour (often much less) drive from wherever your starting point. While near Chicago.....

Last edited by nomarandlee; May 29, 2016 at 11:11 PM.

Old Posted May 29, 2016, 10:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nomarandlee View Post
Really? Where do you get that? That would surprise me but then again I guess the population of the region within a 2-5 hour drive of Chicago is a lot bigger then San Fran. We do get a crap load of neighbor state tourist though we could always use more.

It's just hard from an international perspective. With good reason if I were an overseas tourist I can see why they would gravitate leisure trips to the megelopolis on the East Coast or California. You can see so multiple awesome natural and urban locales.
Chicago gets more than double the number of tourists that SF does, but the trouble is that SF gets more international tourists than Chicago.

SF had 24.6 million visitors in 2015, and 2.85 million of them were international overnight visitors. Chicago had 50.97 million domestic visitors in 2015, and it was expected that it went over 52 million overall visitors when international tourists were included. I haven't seen an exact figure for 2015, but, in 2014, Chicago had 1.55 million international visitors.

http://www.sanfrancisco.travel/artic...g-year-tourism
http://www.chicagotribune.com/busine...425-story.html

Old Posted Jun 1, 2016, 6:27 PM

For those of you that don't know, this past memorial day weekend Chicago was once again the host city to the International Mr Leather contest, a contest where people from all over the world comes to participate in. This usually flies under the radar for most people (unless you happen to pass by the Congress hotel on Michigan Av that weekend, highly recommended). This year it was its 39th year (it was founded in Chicago) and it attracts around 17,000 people every year, making it one of the biggest Chicago conventions. This year alone I hosted people from Montreal, the US and Ireland at my home, and every single one of them were amazed at how amazing the city is and said they can't wait to come back.

This year we had 59 total contestants, 3 contestants from Australia, one from Israel, Austria, Germany, France, Canada, etc..It has very high visibility in the Gay community worldwide and it brings tons of people into our city with lots of dispossible income. New Jersey took the title this year, but Chicago got second AND third place, marking the first time Chicago has ever reached the podium and the end of "the curse" (maybe the CUBS "curse" will also be broken this year). The Congress hotel is way too small for this event, so the Travelodge, Hilton, Palmer house and others nearby were also packed with atendees.

If you're curious and want to find out more, PVT message me. This event brings tons of revenue and publicity to our city

Old Posted Sep 19, 2016, 2:47 AM

Haven't been to Chicago yet and want to, for a lot of us Canucks( sorta international) all we tend to hear is about black on black violence and shootings.

Chicago should play up its role in the skyscraper and rise of art deco architecture a bit more. There is lots to see, many just don't think of Chicago outside of some of the troubles.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 1:06 AM
Ann Arbor, Pale Blue Dot

Due to it's "negative image" Chicago has remained one of the most intact, urban, and affordable cities left in the United States. Yes, tourism is good. It's great, even. But attracting even half of the tourism NYC does will mean changing the image of Chicago into one that will also cause it to become extraordinarily expensive to current residents, forcing many to move out. That's how you make boring cities.

Personally, I love Chicago for what it's not known for, as much as for what it is. I say let the rich and famous play with the tourists in NYC while that city becomes a ghost of itself.

Old Posted Dec 3, 2016, 8:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Michagain View Post
Due to it's "negative image" Chicago has remained one of the most intact, urban, and affordable cities left in the United States. Yes, tourism is good. It's great, even. But attracting even half of the tourism NYC does will mean changing the image of Chicago into one that will also cause it to become extraordinarily expensive to current residents, forcing many to move out. That's how you make boring cities.

Personally, I love Chicago for what it's not known for, as much as for what it is. I say let the rich and famous play with the tourists in NYC while that city becomes a ghost of itself.
Last year Chicago had 52 million overnight visitors to New Yorks 59 million. Chicago gets more domestic visitors than New York (all those conventions) but New York gets considerably more international visitors.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest