HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 13, 2020, 11:05 PM

CBC national news is far superior to any U.S. national news, IMO.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 12:06 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ Even better than PBS?

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 12:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jd3189 View Post
^^^ Even better than PBS?
True, PBS radio news is excellent. I've never listened to CBC radio.

But the National, the nightly Canadian news hour, is really good.

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 1:21 AM

LA local news is amazing. Beautiful weather women in tight dresses talking about cooling trends when it drops to the mid 70's from the low 80's and car chases.. Lots and lots of car chases... On every channel lol! Channel 2 and 9 are CBS, 4 is NBC, 5 is ktla, 7 is ABC, 11 and 13 are fox, spectrum has its own local news channel... And then several of the others have other offshoots... It's ridiculous

Old Posted May 14, 2020, 2:19 AM
Aimless Wanderer

Quote:
Originally Posted by stevanford1 View Post
I really dislike CP24.

TODAY ON CP24 WE ARE GOING TO TELL YOU THE WEATHER THE STOCKS THE TRAFFIC AND THE WEATHER ALL AT THE SAME TIME!!!! DO YOU HAVE A HEADACHE YET?

I like CBC but that's not local.
Agreed on CP24, but I still seem to have it on if I'm not watching anything else at the the moment.

There is a local newscast on Toronto's CBC affiliate station, CBLT. Plus, the CBC Broadcasting Centre is in Toronto.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:48 AM

Our local paper has great investigative series and the stories are generally written for those who have analytical capabilities. The letters to the editor are more for fun...the paper often prints letters from idiots, obviously for entertainment value. The crazies are almost always from Lakeway or Lago Vista.

Our local TV news sucks. It caters to the uneducated, but then again, the uneducated should have news to watch, too. It's just that there's not much else other than car wrecks, shootings, etc. One channel has an anchor who likes to throw in "praise the Lord" during stories, and religion is frequently worked into the stories. I'm certainly not against religion at all, but I don't think it should be a theme on the local TV news.

Last edited by AviationGuy; May 15, 2020 at 4:59 AM.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 8:07 AM

If we're including the local paper, the Boston Globe is one of the few remaining quality local dailies with a sizeable (and marginally profitable) daily paid circulation. I'm a paying subscriber; it's good stuff, wins lots of Pulitzers. But the other daily local, the Herald, is a bit more NY Post, with equally snarky headlines.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 2:39 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post

A lot of Canadians actually hate it. Or at least hate the three rotating anchors format they adopted maybe 2 years ago.

Historically though The National is a much-venerated news program it's true.

Whether it will remain so going forward I am not sure.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 3:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Acajack View Post
A lot of Canadians actually hate it. Or at least hate the three rotating anchors format they adopted maybe 2 years ago.
I get a kick out of the roundtable discussions of rather dry domestic issues. I especially like the takedowns from that cantankerous older lady from Quebec who refuses to wear makeup or dress up. In the U.S. she would be replaced by a giggly blond with cartoonish implants, taking gibberish.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 3:34 PM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
I get a kick out of the roundtable discussions of rather dry domestic issues. I especially like the takedowns from that cantankerous older lady from Quebec who refuses to wear makeup or dress up. In the U.S. she would be replaced by a giggly blond with cartoonish implants, taking gibberish.
I take it you are referring to Chantal Hébert. She is originally from Toronto, but her parents were Québécois. Lives in Montreal now. Might be the best political commentator in the entire country.

https://www.google.com/search?q=chan...w=1536&bih=722

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 3:38 PM

Quote:
I take it you are referring to Chantal Hébert. She is originally from Toronto, but her parents were Québécois. Lives in Montreal now. Might be the best political commentator in the entire country.

Yup, that's her. Love her commentary, even if I often have no idea what they're talking about.

Old Posted May 19, 2020, 11:49 PM
They all float down here

Our local news sucks. It's superficial and tailored toward the lowest common denominator with forced special reports that are parody-level bad. "This chemical is responsible for hundreds of deaths every year and now a Utah mother will tell you why your children could be at risk. Tonight at ten on..."

The talent is generally good, and the production quality has always been strong (especially when we were a smaller market) but the actual content generally sucks.

And of course, the most popular news station in Salt Lake is owned by Sinclair, so...

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 8:37 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I like how entangled they are with the local celebrities.

So this dude is our most famous contemporary actor, as no one knows who Gordon Pinsent is anymore:

And he's married to our main anchor on the CBC:

So, CBC is the Canadian national public broadcaster. That gives it a really interesting history in my city. When we joined Canada, they were afraid of St. John's (the only city, and capital, which voted overwhelmingly against joining Canada) so it took them until the 1960s to set up a station here, despite setting up ones in rural towns well before that. Their main competition was NBC (Newfoundland Broadcasting Corporation) and VOCM (Voice of the Common Man, talk radio). There were violent protests here at the idea of a state-sponsored station. Locals (because they didn't even want to join) were suspicious it was propaganda.

That eventually faded. CBC went on to have a sort of renaissance in St. John's. To this day, I guarantee you in every single CBC station across Canada there are people from my city working. We dominate the network behind the scenes (To give you an example of what that's like on the ground, I lived in Winnipeg for a few years - that's like moving to Dublin from Kazakhstan in terms of geographic distance, and to Bristol from Glasgow in cultural distance). Yet every day, on TV and radio, there were people from my city, interviewing arts and culture people from my city, reading stories about my city, etc. Local actor, that one I mentioned, Gordon Pinsent, even had a segment reading Newfoundland authors during my morning commute lol The Canadians don't seem to notice that's weird lol). Some of us are even front and centre on camera, like David Cochrane (one of the main political reporters). Anyhow, so many game shows, comedies, etc. CBC in St. John's started a lot of television trends that still exist today. For example, you can find alarmingly similar shows to Saturday Night Live and Daily Show on our CBC years, sometimes a decade, earlier.

And a lot of it was very risque for the time. SO many positive portrayals of homosexuality in the 70s, and drag queens in the 80s. They even tackled church abuse. The scandal here broke ages before the one in Boston, and led to an immediate collapse in the power and membership of the local churches. In the aftermath, we even quietly (and socially easily) did away with denominational education and merged our Catholic and Protestant school boards into a single secular one. One of my proudest moments. We're a small people, simple and modest history, but one of the things that makes me proud of us is how completely and quickly people turned against the church when it came clear they weren't having a positive impact locally. Every family has a few hardcore Catholics, the type who bless themselves every time they pass a cemetery, who left the church at the time and haven't been back. That's amazing. But anyhow, after the scandal broke, this is a sample of how the local CBC responded:

Video Link

And they even had clips that slammed the church while showing gay guys weren't necessarily the problem:

Video Link

While all that was going on, Newfoundland Television also existed. It was owned by a local eccentric, a legend in his time.

Quote:
Every Newfoundlander is familiar with the wonders of NTV Late Night but very few people have ever known what, exactly, is actually going on. I certainly didn't, until I spent three months trying to get inside Stirling's head.

I'm still not sure I get it, but it's been one hell of a trip.

Welcome to the mystical world of Captain Newfoundland.

Born on March 22, 1921, Stirling spent his life chasing new heights—literally as well as figuratively. He was an accomplished sprinter and high-jumper in the 1930s and 40s, attending Tampa University in Florida on an athletic scholarship for track and field. In 1946, while the moribund colony of Newfoundland was wrestling with whether it should join Canada or seek independence, Stirling founded a tabloid magazine (the Sunday Herald) that urged the island to link with the United States instead. Along with broadcaster Don Jamieson (who later sat in Pierre Trudeau's cabinet), Stirling founded CJON as a radio station in 1950 and expanded to television in 1955. This station—NTV, "Canada's Superstation"—eventually became the first colour station in the province, and in 1972 it pioneered 24-hour broadcasting.

"While every other station in the country would simply go off-air, NTV blazed all night, showing syndicated programming, movies, continuous live feed of a fish tank, Scenes of Newfoundland, and the Stirling tapes: hours-long interviews with Joey Smallwood; conversations with conspiracy theorist David Icke spliced with images of horrible grey aliens; the "Computer Animation Festival," featuring Atlantis characters and pulsating animation sequences from the Lawnmower Man; repeated showings of Pink Floyd's The Wall; images of crop circles, UFOs and the Egyptian Pyramids layered on top of one another and/or images of Barack Obama; and the laws of God—"The Law of Energy – All is Energy"—scrolling over random stills."

Stirling was deeply influenced by the psychedelic counterculture of the 1960s. When he bought CHOM-FM in Montreal—the first English FM station in Quebec—he used it to play multi-day Beatles marathons, live meditative chanting, and divination sessions with the I Ching. Famously, while vacationing in London in 1969, he befriended John Lennon and Yoko Ono when he sent Lennon a cryptic telex: "I've heard your Come Together. Here I am. Geoff Stirling." According to Stirling's son Scott, it was Geoff who invited John and Yoko to Montreal when they held their Bed In and recorded "Give Peace A Chance."
https://www.vice.com/en_ca/article/d...n-newfoundland

But NTV, being entirely local, hasn't changed its sets or staff since the 80s. So it's hilariously outdated to watch. Here's an interview about a local show about my family:

Video Link

Beyond all the oddities, what I like most about local news is how passionate people are about it. Every time the CBC tries to cut our local 1-hour-plus supper hour news down to 30 minutes local, and 30 minutes the national feed, they bleed so many viewers the decision is reversed. People here prefer to get their national/international news from the local anchors.

Also, on NTV, they read out a list of birthdays to anyone over 90, and anniversaries for any couple married longer than 50 years. It's hilariously bay/rural/hick/whatever you'd call it.

But, for how hilariously backwoods it is, NTV is deeply connected to the community and does have a great sense of humour. (For the Americans, the highest temp you see behind him at the beginning is 21C, or 70 in your degrees).

Video Link

And back to radio, for one second. Newfoundland is obscenely into talk radio. It accounts for like 30% of the market here, and like less than 5% in mainland Canada.

Here, talk radio is very left-wing. The main show is Open Line, wherever everyone can call in to talk about the news of the day. Politicians local and visiting (including Canada's Prime Minister, and visiting ambassadors, etc.) all call in every time they're in town or something relevant is happening here. It's a cute little oddity that I love.

But a lot of the calls are stupid. "Paddy, b'y, me wife is gone again. I'm calling in about Income Support. Why am I only getting $200 a week when the b'ys on EI is getting $600?"

One of my all-time favourites:

Video Link

Last edited by SignalHillHiker; May 20, 2020 at 10:40 PM. Reason: Bos

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 11:30 PM

Quote:

Historically though The National is a much-venerated news program it's true.

Whether it will remain so going forward I am not sure.
I'm one of those Canadians. I loved the National until they went all MTV. I do miss At Issue though. I've discovered that CTV News is not as evil as I had feared

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 11:34 PM

Quote:

The book The Morning After, which she co-authored with the late Jean Lapierre is nothing short of brilliant.

She skates circles around Andrew Coyne.

Old Posted May 20, 2020, 11:44 PM

Mexican weathergirls are the best. I love Univision.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 12:52 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

. To this day, I guarantee you in every single CBC station across Canada there are people from my city working. We dominate the network behind the scenes (To give you an example of what that's like on the ground, I lived in Winnipeg for a few years - that's like moving to Dublin from Kazakhstan in terms of geographic distance, and to Bristol from Glasgow in cultural distance). Yet every day, on TV and radio, there were people from my city, interviewing arts and culture people from my city, reading stories about my city, etc. Local actor, that one I mentioned, Gordon Pinsent, even had a segment reading Newfoundland authors during my morning commute lol The Canadians don't seem to notice that's weird lol). Some of us are even front and centre on camera, like David Cochrane (one of the main political reporters). Anyhow, so many game shows, comedies, etc. CBC in St. John's started a lot of television trends that still exist today. For example, you can find alarmingly similar shows to Saturday Night Live and Daily Show on our CBC years, sometimes a decade, earlier.
]
Yes, it's very obvious if you pay attention to the national CBC (and even some local programming outside Newfoundland itself) that Newfoundlanders have appropriated much the network for themselves. Good on them for taking advantage of something that was ripe for the picking.

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 1:31 AM
BANNED

Liz Cho (ABC7NY):

Source: reddit – https://www.reddit.com/r/HotNewswome...new_york_city/

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 1:33 AM

Quote:
True, PBS radio news is excellent. I've never listened to CBC radio.

The CBC radio station in Ottawa has been number one for years, however when comes to local TV news, it is the local CTV station.

I have slowly adapted to the new CBC National News format since Peter Mansbridge retired in 2017, but as others have said, I have always enjoyed Chantal Hebert on the panel.

Anybody with SiriusXM can listen CBC Radio One at 169

Old Posted May 21, 2020, 11:49 AM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by JAYNYC View Post
Liz Cho (ABC7NY):
Video Link

ABC7NY!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions