HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 4:37 PM

All the guys I know who come here from other states for Spring Training every year are still coming this year. Maybe they'll play golf instead of watching baseball.

Last edited by biggus diggus; Mar 12, 2021 at 5:06 PM.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2021, 5:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrestedSaguaro View Post
I have been noting the uptick in traffic too. I wonder how much of it is actually snowbird/Cactus League related traffic? I have seen quite a bit of out of state plates. I guess we'll find out how much of it stays once everyone leaves town again.

Gotta say though, it was damn nice driving the freeways for a while there.
I dont live in snowbird territory its not that kind of traffic.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 1:04 PM
self-important urbanista

Quote:
Originally Posted by biggus diggus View Post
All the guys I know who come here from other states for Spring Training every year are still coming this year. Maybe they'll play golf instead of watching baseball.
I thought the games were going to be played with spectators, although maybe at reduced capacity.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 1:46 PM

I don't know about baseball, just thought based on what I was reading that it might not be an option to go to the game.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 9:45 PM

Quote:
I don't know about baseball, just thought based on what I was reading that it might not be an option to go to the game.
There is limited capacity at the Spring Training games as well as the NASCAR events going on this month. There are also a lot of people coming here for spring break, so I'm not surprised that we're seeing an uptick in traffic valleywide.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2021, 11:19 PM
METRO: Encanto

Cactus League games are at 20% capacity. Game at Salt River Fields (Diamondback/Rockies) sold out mostly in pre-sale and completely when available to the public. I think most stadiums experienced the same thing. Prices on StubHub were through the roof last time I checked.

For regular season, the Diamondbacks plan opening at 25% at the beginning. Season ticketholders are being offered relocated "pods" for those games. It sounds like this will hold for the 9 games in April. Coors Field in Denver will open at 42.6% and Globe Life Field (Texas Rangers in Arlington, TX) at 100%.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 9:52 PM

Semiconductor Re-shore

Well, it looks like the industry is moving and a huge amount of semiconductor manufacturing is reshoring to AZ.

not surprising given the existing industry, low cost land, and lack of natural disasters and general stability unlike... SE Asia.

Firs the Taiwan plant, now this!

https://azbigmedia.com/business/inte...3000-new-jobs/

Quote:
Intel today announced a substantial expansion of its Arizona-based manufacturing capacity with a $20 billion investment – the largest private sector investment in state history. The expansion will see the construction of two new semiconductor fabrication facilities, or fabs, which will produce advanced semiconductor chips used in modern electronics.

The investment will lead to the direct creation of 3,000 new high-tech, high-wage jobs and 3,000 construction jobs, while supporting an estimated 15,000 additional indirect jobs in our community.

READ ALSO: Arizona expected to add 325,000 jobs by spring 2022

“Today’s announcement means jobs, jobs, and more jobs for the state of Arizona,” said Governor Doug Ducey. “It also proves once again that Arizona is at the cutting-edge of advanced chipmaking and manufacturing. No company has been such an instrumental partner in Arizona’s growth and transformation over the years as Intel, and my sincere thanks goes out to CEO Pat Gelsinger and the entire Intel team. I also want to recognize the U.S. Department of Commerce, Arizona Commerce Authority, City of Chandler, President Fann and Speaker Bowers for their partnership to bring this project here. Today, when people think of semiconductor production, they think of Arizona, and that means tremendous things for our state, country and future generations of Arizonans.”

“I’m thrilled to announce plans for Intel’s first large-scale foundry operation, which will be in Arizona,” said Intel CEO Pat Gelsinger. “This represents an investment of approximately $20 billion dollars, which will create over three thousand permanent high-tech, high-wage jobs, over 3,000 construction jobs, and 15,000 local long-term jobs in Arizona. To make our new expansion in Arizona possible, we are excited to be partnering with the state of Arizona and the Biden Administration on incentives that spur this type of domestic investment.”

“Intel’s selection of Arizona for this historic investment is a testament to our vibrant and growing technology ecosystem – one powered by our streamlined regulatory environment, low cost of doing business, world-class higher education institutions and highly skilled and talented labor force,” said Sandra Watson, President and CEO, Arizona Commerce Authority. “We are so grateful to Intel for their unrivaled commitment to our state. We look forward to continuing to partner in their success for decades to come.”

Intel’s operations in Arizona go back more than 40 years. With this new expansion, Intel will employ nearly 16,000 Arizonans and will have invested more than $50 billion in our state. Intel operates four other fabs in Arizona, including Fab 42, the company’s largest chipmaking factory in the United States and said to be the most advanced in the world. In addition to high-volume manufacturing, Arizona is also home to Intel’s Assembly Test Technology Development group and functions like marketing, finance, human resources, legal, supply chain and logistics, and more.

Intel’s contributions to Arizona extend beyond jobs and manufacturing to also include supporting local schools and students, promoting healthy forests and rivers, providing pandemic relief, and more. Since 2015, Intel and the Intel Foundation have given more than $35 million to support Arizona schools and nonprofits and employees have contributed more than 750,000 volunteer hours.

With a global shortage of semiconductor chips, Arizona is poised to continue growing its technology and advanced manufacturing footprint. Arizona is already a top-five state for semiconductor production, with multiple industry leaders choosing the state to start, expand or relocate operations.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 10:03 PM

wow. this is incredible.

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 10:46 PM

where are they building all of this?

Old Posted Mar 23, 2021, 11:31 PM
E pluribus unum

Quote:
Originally Posted by PHX31 View Post
where are they building all of this?
Good question. My guess would be out near the other Intel plant (Fab 42?) in south Chandler?

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 1:03 AM

Samsung needs to announce their plans to build their Fab Plant in Phoenix metro area next

Old Posted Mar 24, 2021, 1:52 AM

It will be a very special day if Samsung announced to build their fab factory in or around Phoenix would be no words.

Old Posted Mar 27, 2021, 6:55 PM
Skyriser

I'm seeing Streetview updates in Downtown/Central Phoenix for December 2020 for those wanting to look around. Lots of updates since the last time.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 9:44 PM

A lot of smoke suggesting Samsung could follow TSMC and Intel in doing semiconductor manufacturing here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...e-auction.html

Quote:
The 1,060-acre site in Goodyear that experts have identified as a possible landing spot for Samsung’s $17 billion silicon chip manufacturing plant was rezoned in late March to allow industrial uses on the site, ahead of the scheduled auction for the land in late April...

...At the meeting, Vice Mayor Bill Stipp told constituents that the city had been approached by a company wanting to buy the land, the city was not the decision maker to sell the land...

...City documents referred to the project as “Project Spring,” which is the same code name used for Samsung in a Texas city the company is also considering for its plant...

...At a March 22 Council meeting, Carolyn Oberholtzer, attorney with Bergin, Frakes, Smalley and Oberholtzer, who was the outside counsel representing the Arizona State Land Department in the case, said the land was “significant” and there is a specific outcome planned in terms of the entitlements. Oberholtzer also represented the department in the rezoning case for the Taiwan Semiconductor Manufacturing Co. Ltd. site in Phoenix, which was sold to TSMC at auction in December...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 10:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by muertecaza View Post
A lot of smoke suggesting Samsung could follow TSMC and Intel in doing semiconductor manufacturing here.

https://www.bizjournals.com/phoenix/...e-auction.html
Man this would be huge! Where there's smoke, there's fire...

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 10:19 PM

If TSMC, Intel, and Samsung all make huge investments in chip manufacturing here that would be incredible.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 10:20 PM

This is really exciting if it happens. Hell, it's exciting just to think about.

Intel building another plant, TSMC building a plant and maybe Samsung building a plant which will all be on opposite ends of the valley? There won't be a bad piece of real estate in the whole valley. This is Phoenix's ticket to becoming a globally recognized city. We'll be the chip capitol.

Old Posted Apr 1, 2021, 10:40 PM

If it does happen, that would be close to $75B in investment by all 3 companies, all announced within a year. Mind-blowing stuff.

Old Posted Apr 2, 2021, 2:34 AM

It could be an interesting twist if it's not Samsung looking at this property. I would be a great addition if Samsung, however I do stand by my previous comments about going to Austin. Anxious to see how this plays out.

Old Posted Apr 3, 2021, 8:11 PM

Quote:
This is really exciting if it happens. Hell, it's exciting just to think about.

Intel building another plant, TSMC building a plant and maybe Samsung building a plant which will all be on opposite ends of the valley? There won't be a bad piece of real estate in the whole valley. This is Phoenix's ticket to becoming a globally recognized city. We'll be the chip capitol.
New 5 c’s

Cows
Citrus
Copper
Cotton
Chips

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Southwest