HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 2:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
I noticed that too. I was surprised but it must be part of the plan and they'll be fully removed soon.
I didn't notice but it may have been inevitable if they are doing a lot of excavation work. I'm no arborist by any means, but I think once you start compromising the root structure, you are compromising the integrity of the tree itself. Correct me if I am wrong.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 3:57 PM

Doesn't the city have an arborist? I noticed it too today and wondered what was up. Regardless of any excavation work I would think that some priority should have been given to trying to preserve such mature trees. This city is clueless when it comes to trying to preserve and/or grow trees. They will probably put back a 6 foot tree and next winter the plows and snowblowers will take dead aim at it.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 4:55 PM

Maybe I overreacted a little in my previous rant/post about trees, please allow me to be a little more constructive. Perhaps there is a very valid reason why those trees have been removed from the Government House grounds, let’s move on.

Let’s talk about what should be done with that area once the pool house and the Gov House renos are complete. I would like to see a serious reconstruction of Bannerman St. with (1) few more LARGE trees (as large as you can reasonably plant) and some flowers planted in the median. (2) Perhaps the city could approach the province to try and get a few feet of the Government House land to widen the street and maybe increase the parking by making it angled. (3) put in a decent sidewalk on the east side…with maybe a few more trees. I like trees.

Hopefully these improvements have already been thought of...we’ll see.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 5:43 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

I think the plan is to install some sort of public square/plaza in front of the old Parliament/Colonial Building.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 7:01 PM

This has been discussed somewhere on CBC today (radio I presume...)
Tweets below.

Quote:
Tweets

Peter Cowan @PeterCBC

Collins says trees added as late as 100 years after Colonial building's construction #nlpoli

about 2 hours ago

Peter Cowan @PeterCBC

Sandy Collins says cutting down of trees at Colonial Building about restoring it to original condition with fence #nlpoli

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 7:07 PM

Yeah I assume they have big plans for the square out in front. Still always hate to see nice big old mature trees go. But perhaps in the end the finished square will look awesome or whatever they have planned for the front of the building.

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 7:45 PM

I don't necessarily agree with the logic of cutting down the trees because they weren't there 100 years ago. I'm sure the new look will be an improvement but I don't see why they couldn't incorporate the existing trees.
Let's hope there isn't a movement afoot to restore LeMarchant Rd to what it was 100 years ago by cutting down all the trees!!

Old Posted May 15, 2014, 8:50 PM

I remember years ago when workers who were widening water street near the train station cut down several huge trees. It was an unfortunate mistake back then but the damage is done. It's a real shame that this had to be done at colonial building.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:06 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

I hope it's just the trees very close to the building, since they obscure the front façade. The site grading was different when this photo was taken, and there were no trees directly in front, so I imagine they are restoring it to that.

Source: http://www.heritage.nf.ca/law/colonial.html

There also are power poles and lines which weren't there years ago. Maybe they could remove those while at it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.57065...snizVczULQ!2e0

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 3:18 AM
♒︎ Empirically Canadian

Quote:
Originally Posted by displacednewfie View Post
Hey guys, I am moving back home from Alberta or should say getting transferred back to NL in October, and I was wondering what are the best options available outside DT for new Condo's or fairly new Condo's?
There are some nice ones on Blackmarsh at Topsail Rd, which is technically in Mt. Pearl.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.52530...b8wW1yNHMA!2e0

http://www.thesundara.com/

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 12:15 PM

This is how developers scam city council to change their original plans when buying historic properties and promising to restore them and then let them rot beyond repair. This is shocking that this has happened.

http://www.vocm.com/newsarticle.asp?...46207&latest=1

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 12:18 PM

The trees they cut down and no where near the building. They are all out near the sidewalks out front.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Architype View Post
I hope it's just the trees very close to the building, since they obscure the front façade. The site grading was different when this photo was taken, and there were no trees directly in front, so I imagine they are restoring it to that.

Source: http://www.heritage.nf.ca/law/colonial.html

There also are power poles and lines which weren't there years ago. Maybe they could remove those while at it.

https://www.google.ca/maps/@47.57065...snizVczULQ!2e0

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 12:23 PM

from VOCM

Quote:
Removal of Colonial Building Trees Causing Uproar
Friday , May 16 2014 | 9:36:06 AM

Comments

The Minister of Tourism says the Heritage Foundation of Newfoundland and Labrador was heavily involved in the Colonial Building restoration project. Sandy Collins says the foundation reviewed and approved all aspects of the $22-million project. The land fronting the historic building has been cleared over the last couple of months, including the removal of some old mature trees which has some area residents upset. The City of St. John's says it was consulted by the province, but ultimately it had no say. The land is owned by the province, so government didn't need municipal approval.

The Colonial Building was the home of government and the House of Assembly from 1850 to 1959. The $22-million restoration project will transform the building into an interpretation centre and bring the grounds back to its original landscape --removing the fountain and trees, and developing a small hill leading to the steps with the grounds surrounded by a wrought iron fence.

Minister Collins says trees had to be removed to allow easier access for construction vehicles. He says while removing and replanting may sound like a good option, in this case he says it wasn't realistic. Collins says given the expansion root system of trees this old it would be near impossible to replant the trees and have them take root in a new home. The idea he says was to return the building back to its original state so that means no trees and a fence.

Liberal MHA Tom Osborne says the original design would also include gas lamps, with no plumbing or electricity. Osborne argues the trees should have stayed and the city of St. John's consulted. Osborne says he supports the restoration project but says there's limits.

George Chalker, who is on the board for the restoration of the building, says the removal was necessary for the project, to return the land back to its original slope. Chalker is also with the Heritage Foundation, but would only speak to his experience with the restoration board. He says another reason the province removed the trees was in order to fill a request from the city to keep the fence from blocking the view of drivers at that intersection. He says they are attempting to comply with the city's wishes. But the trees are really being moved to comply with restoring the slope of the building.

St. John's City Councilor Dave Lane says the plan for the restoration was brought to Council many months ago by the Heritage Department. Lane says that given the state of public engagement on these types of issues in this day and age, this may be a good lesson for future government projects. He says that given today's response to the trees coming down, a communications plan may help going forward. He says a monthly update on projects such as this may help prevent surprises after the work has already been done.

Meanwhile, Ward 2 Councilor Jonathan Galgay is questioning the effectiveness of the Heritage Advisory Committee following the removal of dozens of mature trees from the grounds of Colonial Building. Many in the area were shocked when they saw the majestic trees being chopped down as restoration work on the site gets underway. The intent, according to Culture Minister Sandy Collins, is to return the site to the way it was when it was built, and that was without trees. Others feel there was a way to incorporate the trees into the park-like setting. Galgay says there are a number of recent cases that show the committee is not as effective as it could be.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 12:24 PM

Quote:
Hey guys, I am moving back home from Alberta or should say getting transferred back to NL in October, and I was wondering what are the best options available outside DT for new Condo's or fairly new Condo's?
Do you just want to be anywhere outside of the downtown or are there any specific areas? There are probably a few options near the downtown, while there are a number further away.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 1:00 PM

Quote:
There are some nice ones on Blackmarsh at Topsail Rd, which is technically in Mt. Pearl.

I wouldn't go near them, very poorly built.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 2:12 PM

It breaks my heart that the trees are gone What's worse is the thought that a fence of all things will probably be going back. I understand heritage, but this may be a bit extreme.

Old Posted May 16, 2014, 4:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
It breaks my heart that the trees are gone What's worse is the thought that a fence of all things will probably be going back. I understand heritage, but this may be a bit extreme.
Sounds like something they'd do in North Korea to "preserve heritage".

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 5:59 PM

Location: Edmonton,Alberta(work) St. John's, NL (where my heart is)
Quote:
Originally Posted by PoscStudent View Post
Do you just want to be anywhere outside of the downtown or are there any specific areas? There are probably a few options near the downtown, while there are a number further away.

I would like to be close to downtown without actually living downtown. I was home a cpl weeks ago and went to look at what i call the "salt pile condos" refuse to live there.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 6:01 PM

Location: Edmonton,Alberta(work) St. John's, NL (where my heart is)
Quote:

Thanks for that link. That's along the lines of what I have up here. Really nice indeed.

Old Posted May 18, 2014, 8:33 PM

Quote:
I would like to be close to downtown without actually living downtown. I was home a cpl weeks ago and went to look at what i call the "salt pile condos" refuse to live there.
I really like these condos that are walking distance to the downtown on Suvla Street. I think there may be a few condos available in that building.

http://www.royallepage.ca/en/propert.../#.U3kWqV6x4ds

There's also this place on Lemarchant Road. It's just okay inside but it's a great location.

http://www.royallepage.ca/en/propert...1#.U3kXpF6x4ds

There's also condos available at 59 Roosevelt Avenue in Pleaseantville, which are nice too. I know someone who lived in the condo building a few years ago and loved it.
http://remax.nf.ca/?Content=View_Listing&l=47415

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's