HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 12:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
I was driving on Morton Close to the University and i was wondering what were they doing near MacArthurs with all the lot clearing there?
If it's on Morton (On University property) O do believe it's the new apartment building, and fully assisted living facility.

Old Posted Oct 18, 2015, 6:36 PM

Went for a Sunday drive around town and took couple pics of the new firehall on Caledonia

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 1:45 PM

I was walking on the corner of MacLaughlin and Morton this morning and they started to break ground for the new development. They tore down a house on MacLaughlin already.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 1:48 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Thanks for the photo.

Welcome to the forums!

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 2:22 PM

Universite de Moncton will partner with long-term care provider Shannex on a $50-million, 60-bed nursing home project in Moncton.
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tel...284/?nopromo=1

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by habs33 View Post
Universite de Moncton will partner with long-term care provider Shannex on a $50-million, 60-bed nursing home project in Moncton.
https://www.telegraphjournal.com/tel...284/?nopromo=1
That's a huge investment, great news. The land has recently been cleared, I wonder if that means they are starting this year.

There is a rendering of the project in the background but I can't make it out. Does anyone have access to the T&T online that could share the image?

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 3:38 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

University of Moncton getting 60 nursing home beds
$50M facility is a partnership between government, the University of Moncton and ShannexCBC News Posted: Oct 20, 2015 11:29 AM AT| Last Updated: Oct 20, 2015 11:29 AM AT

The University of Moncton's research and development campus is going to be home to a 60-bed nursing home for francophones.

The private-public partnership between the university, the province and Shannex RLC limited was announced Tuesday.

Shannex plans to build on land leased from the University of Moncton on the university's research and development campus.

University of Moncton president and vice chancellor Raymond Théberge said the project will "provide an opportunity to create bridges between generations, internships and jobs for health care students and research projects on aging,"

Priority for housing units will be given to University of Moncton retirees.

According to the statement, the lease contains language clauses regarding the academic partnership, the language of work, the name of the complex and priority rights in relation to the rental of the units.

"The University becomes a leader in the preservation of the language rights of the Acadian and francophone population of New Brunswick," said Théberge.

Shannex is investing $50 million in the first phase and said it will create approximately 150 new jobs for New Brunswickers in health care and hospitality services.

The project will take two years to complete.

In a statement, Social Development Minister Cathy Rogers said the project will be more than just a nursing home.

"It is an example of innovation and partnership that is creating a senior-friendly community that fits our vision of healthy aging, where seniors are active and engaged and where the right services and supports are available to each individual."

The project will include a retirement home, special care home and apartments.

personal note - did I read this right? Is this nursing home going to be for francophones seulement? How is this possible given the charter of rights and freedoms? Does this mean that the bed blockers at the Dumont Hospital will now have a place to go but the bed blockers at the Moncton Hospital will continue to languish in inappropriate accomodations? How could the provincial government concieve of becoming involved in this blatantly discriminatory project???I can just imagine the howls of outrage if a new nursing home was constructed in the city with a large sign out front stating "English only allowed"

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 3:56 PM

French only? Nothing to see here...Move along

On a serious note, I've fired off an email to Cathy asking for clarification.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 4:10 PM

I was just about to post this article. If this is real (and not CBC NB being incompetent or inflammatory as usual), then it's completely crazy.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 4:16 PM

Well, Radio-Can is reporting the same as CBC:

http://ici.radio-canada.ca/regions/a...-shannex.shtml

Un foyer francophone

Il s'agira d'un établissement francophone. L'entente signée avec Shannex comprend d'ailleurs des clauses qui garantissent aux aînés francophones la priorité dans l'attribution des places. Elles précisent aussi que la langue de travail du complexe sera le français et que les rapports avec l'université se dérouleront également en français.

« Nous nous sommes engagés auprès de nos partenaires et de l'université à ce que [cet établissement] soit une communauté francophone », a affirmé le président et directeur de l'exploitation à Shannex, Jason Shannon.

Francophone seniors will have "priority" and the workplace language will be French.

"We're committed to our partners and to the university that this will be a francophone community."

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 4:48 PM

IMHO this only means that all the staff will need to speek french and that french will be the operating language for the nursing home. This is similiar to how Assumption vie and U de M operate.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 4:59 PM

Also per the U de M press release, a retirement residence will be build along with a home. The focus of this residence will be for retired U de M personel.

http://www.umoncton.ca/nouvelles/inf...l#.ViZws36rSM8

Quote:
IMHO this only means that all the staff will need to speek french and that french will be the operating language for the nursing home. This is similiar to how Assumption vie and U de M operate.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 5:01 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
See this quote from the Radio Canada article:

Quote:
qui garantissent aux aînés francophones la priorité dans l'attribution des places
In other words, while they won't flat out say that anglophones are not welcome in this nursing facility, francophone patients will have priority in placement. Given the severe shortage in nursing home beds, there will always be a francophone patient available to fill a bed therefore for all intents and purposes, there will never be an anglophone admitted to this facility, so this is tantamount to saying that anglophones are not welcome.

I hope there's a charter challenge over this........

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 5:09 PM

Assomption is a private business. U de M is a French-language academic establishment.

A private business can make up their own internal rules on what language of business is used, and education is targeted at a specific language.

This is not the same: a nursing home combines health care and residence, which both prohibit discrimination. No hospital is allowed to refuse to provide you healthcare because you speak a particular language, and a landlord can't tell you to only speak a certain language while living there.

You could argue that this is a private business and they can dictate to staff what language is spoken within the confines of the building, but they would still have no right to refuse patients (or tenants depending on how you look at it) based on your linguistic choice. Now if we argue that it's not a private business since the public purse is propping it up, staff can speak any official language.

Even if someone sued the government for discrimination and lost the case, I can't even start to understand why this government would choose to go along with this.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 5:22 PM

The optics are horrible.
A million-dollar-a-bed nursing home for French only. For those like me who have spent decades defending bilingual NB to my fellow residents, this one will be a tough sell.
I'll await further clarification.
What are the beds made of? Gold?
EDIT: I now see they are talking about 350 residents in total. Those beds are going to be crowded.
I'm pretty lost here. I guess I'll have to wait to see the details.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 7:09 PM

There's a nursing home and a retirement residence. so that I guess and the site clearing comes to 50 mill?
Quote:
Originally Posted by L'homard View Post
The optics are horrible.
A million-dollar-a-bed nursing home for French only. For those like me who have spent decades defending bilingual NB to my fellow residents, this one will be a tough sell.
I'll await further clarification.
What are the beds made of? Gold?
EDIT: I now see they are talking about 350 residents in total. Those beds are going to be crowded.
I'm pretty lost here. I guess I'll have to wait to see the details.

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 11:17 PM

really?

Which one of you guys intercepted my email and spoofed this return?

This can't be true...

Quote:
On behalf of Minister Cathy Rogers, I would like to acknowledge receipt of your e-mail message.

As Social Development’s policy does not allow for correspondence to be replied by email, can you please provide me with your mailing address?
Found this announcement at their website:
http://www2.gnb.ca/content/gnb/en/de...5.10.0993.html

Old Posted Oct 20, 2015, 11:54 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Must be a new government policy.

1) - email is dangerous and cannot be controlled. How many political careers have been ruined in the last decade because of errant email leaks. Email use therefore must be discouraged at all costs.
2) - by providing them with your mailing address, they will know who you are and where they can find you. If there is a "leak", they will know where to send the RCMP.

Have a nice day

Regards:

Brian Gallant
premier of NB

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 2:42 AM

Folks I know this is not construction related but folks traveling on the Irishtown Road from Caledonia Park to the City Limits the speed limit has been lowered from 70KPH -60KPH. That's just a heads up!! And does anyone have any updates on the other developments in the area close to the TCH and the development at the corner of Morton and McGlauglin.

Old Posted Oct 21, 2015, 7:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephan.richard View Post
Folks I know this is not construction related but folks traveling on the Irishtown Road from Caledonia Park to the City Limits the speed limit has been lowered from 70KPH -60KPH. That's just a heads up!! And does anyone have any updates on the other developments in the area close to the TCH and the development at the corner of Morton and McGlauglin.

Actually the lowering of the speed might have to do with Construction projects.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces