HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Aug 5, 2010, 3:35 AM
Paradise

Here's the older rendering. The only one I had seen.

The design looks a little different, but seems like they've always had screens.

I think I like the newer one.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2010, 4:42 PM
Paradise

Is Rivercenter Mall going to completely demolish a parking structure to build a new hotel?

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 3:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
Is Rivercenter Mall going to completely demolish a parking structure to build a new hotel?
I thought someone mentioned the hotel would be built on top of the parking garage. Don’t know If I read it in this thread, or somewhere else…

Old Posted Aug 7, 2010, 4:05 AM
Paradise

So that means we will get some new height soon? *hopes*

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 4:16 AM
Paradise

New focus for Rivercenter

Okay, it doesn't say much of anything new, but I am highly interested in what restaurant is about to sign lease.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2010, 6:20 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

"Oviatt said he has been in talks with several interested parties and has heard pitches for a flea market, hotel and space utilized for rave parties, among others."

I loled.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2010, 2:18 AM

^^^ me too. Surprised there wasn't another longing reference to "attracting those hip single 20-somethings like Austin has got".

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 1:35 AM

This article was posted back in March (of this year) and I thought it was interesting to see that some progress is being made and a newer look forthcoming.

I realize that there is similar, but older information, posted elsewhere so I decided to post this updated stuff here. (What I found particularly interesting was the pdf file provided by one of the folks commenting on the story. I also liked his or her idea of closing down one lane of Commerce, to vehicular traffic, in order to widen the sidewalk for better pedestrian flow as well as a bike lane).

mySA.com
Jennifer Hiller
3/20/12

The landmark downtown Joske's building this year could see the start of construction that would return retail to the space for the first time since 2008.

The New York-based company that owns Rivercenter mall plans to divide the department store space into smaller retail spaces and restore the building's original façade. Interior demolition could start in the year's second quarter.

“We hope to start construction midyear and be 70 percent leased at that time,” said Joe Press, senior vice president of Ashkenazy Acquisition Corp.

Read more: http://www.mysanantonio.com/business...#ixzz1ywy9M87R

http://reatarealestate.com/files/201...ivercenter.pdf

Old Posted Jun 27, 2012, 8:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAonFire View Post

I realize that there is similar, but older information, posted elsewhere so I decided to post this updated stuff here. (What I found particularly interesting was the pdf file provided by one of the folks commenting on the story. I also liked his or her idea of closing down one lane of Commerce, to vehicular traffic, in order to widen the sidewalk for better pedestrian flow as well as a bike lane).
Wow, this nt82 person sounds like a really smart person with some great ideas.
It's true though; every time I walk along Commerce, I feel like I'm going to get sucked under a bus or if I get a bit clutsy, that I might trip and fall in the street and not get up in time to avoid getting hit by one of the cars or oversized SUV's going 45+mph.

People need to feel safe, and if that means losing a lane which is underutilized anyways, or adding a barrier (parked cars) or widening the sidewalk and adding additional clearance with a bike lane, then so be it.
Heck, I'd go big with it; widen the sidewalk, put 4-6 trees along Commerce for some shade (since the awning is getting removed) and a bike lane for extra clearance. It turns to 4 lanes after that corner anyway (at Alamo) and with a bit of realigning by cutting the small triangle near the ToF, the 4 lanes east of Alamo can align with the 4 lanes west of it.

Also, I think that the "bus" lane is pretty narrow (as you can see in this pic below) anyways, and over by Fogo de Chao, there's only 4 lanes for the Marriott RW loading areas. If you realign from the garage entrance (make it a "enter only" lane) you'd only be losing a lane for a little over 100 yards (maybe). Plus, you could get a bit more room in front of St. Joseph's for pedestrians, especially on the weekends when there are wedding party's and such standing out front.

from https://maps.google.com/

Instead of that, you could have something like this...

It just creates a better (and safer) pedestrian experience.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Old Posted Oct 14, 2012, 4:10 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

The redevelopment of Rivercenter Mall is finally back on with some note worthy changes. Rivercenter Mall is dropping the use of mall from its name. Signs reading Rivercenter Mall will be changed to read just "Rivercenter". Good branding move IMO.

The currently empty Joske's building (550,000 square feet) will be turned into a new retail development called The Shops at Rivercenter and will be part of the greater Rivercenter.

Confirmed tenants will include Armani Exchange, H&M, Urban Outfitters, Dave and Busters, Apple Store, Lego Store, Five Guys, It'sugar, Froyo Yogurt.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 2:25 PM

I'm not so sure they are "confirmed" just based on the HDRC agenda signage request.

The one thing that did stand out to me was that the entrance for the "New Hotel" next to the garage on Commerce. It doesn't show anything on top of the garage, but perhaps this section of the building is just going to be the potential lobby area. I guess its too early to tell.

on the right side of this rendering

Also for those interested, the new Children's Museum is on the HDRC agenda this week.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 5:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by miaht82 View Post

Also for those interested, the new Children's Museum is on the HDRC agenda this week.
What did they do to it?! Am I the only one troubled by how much the new design differs from the original rendering?

The original rendering had great interaction with Broadway, which the HDRC doc rightly says is "becoming more popular with cyclists and pedestrians." This new design looks like a suburban school from Stone Oak....

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WorldTexas View Post
What did they do to it?! Am I the only one troubled by how much the new design differs from the original rendering?

The original rendering had great interaction with Broadway, which the HDRC doc rightly says is "becoming more popular with cyclists and pedestrians." This new design looks like a suburban school from Stone Oak....
That's what I was thinking.... I was just waiting for someone else to chime in before I sounded off or else I might be accused of being bothered by everything. It is so far away from the street, and I also don't know what the need is for taking over the Humphreys Ave. If they need 10 more parking spaces, build it better; push it up against the street and use more space behind the building.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 11:31 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

The fact that the museum seems to be separated from Broadway by a grassy berm doesn't help, either.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
The redevelopment of Rivercenter Mall is finally back on with some note worthy changes. Rivercenter Mall is dropping the use of mall from its name. Signs reading Rivercenter Mall will be changed to read just "Rivercenter". Good branding move IMO.

The currently empty Joske's building (550,000 square feet) will be turned into a new retail development called The Shops at Rivercenter and will be part of the greater Rivercenter.

Confirmed tenants will include Armani Exchange, H&M, Urban Outfitters, Dave and Busters, Apple Store, Lego Store, Five Guys, It'sugar, Froyo Yogurt.
Yes yes yes! It's about time this project started moving. Does anybody know if there is still going to be a bowling alley?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2012, 11:53 PM
Paradise

I was upset by the museum's designs as well.

Glad to see Rivercenter back though.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 1:00 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

Why don't we do something about it? Let's call or email the SACM people. Call or email the mayor and let him know that the revised design isn't good for broadway. Maybe he can use his influence. Complaining on a message board isn't going to fix it. Let's be proactive.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
Why don't we do something about it? Let's call or email the SACM people. Call or email the mayor and let him know that the revised design isn't good for broadway. Maybe he can use his influence. Complaining on a message board isn't going to fix it. Let's be proactive.
Sirkingwilliam, I couldn't agree with you more! Didn't they create the CityDesign Studio (name?) to stop these types of things?

I'm happy to lend my efforts to bringing some attention to this. San Antonio deserves better.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 3:32 AM

Although usually it is desirable for a building to be engaged with the street, I think this is an understandable exception. As a children's museum, maybe it's better that the landscaping separates the building from Broadway. For many museums in town, the landscaping is an essential aspect of the whole experience. Also, maybe a streetscape that is treed and bermed would be more appropriate for that particular stretch of Broadway. Directly across the street is Lions Field, with several mature trees right against the curb. If, thirty years from now, the midtown stretch of Broadway looks radically different than it does today, maybe a heavily treed stretch of road, with shady, parklike settings on either side, would be a welcome addition to the street. You never know.

Last edited by Spoiler; Oct 16, 2012 at 3:54 AM.

Old Posted Oct 16, 2012, 5:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Spoiler View Post
Although usually it is desirable for a building to be engaged with the street, I think this is an understandable exception. As a children's museum, maybe it's better that the landscaping separates the building from Broadway. For many museums in town, the landscaping is an essential aspect of the whole experience. Also, maybe a streetscape that is treed and bermed would be more appropriate for that particular stretch of Broadway. Directly across the street is Lions Field, with several mature trees right against the curb. If, thirty years from now, the midtown stretch of Broadway looks radically different than it does today, maybe a heavily treed stretch of road, with shady, parklike settings on either side, would be a welcome addition to the street. You never know.
I don't buy it. The current location is about 15 feet from Houston St. and the distance was never an issue. Kiddie Park is closer to the street than this appears to be.The fact that it is directly across from Lions Field makes it even more critical that there is some form of continuation on that side of the street. If someone were walking from farther south, this would be the dead space that would deter them from continuing their walk; it disconnects neighborhoods, it would be no better than it is now. This is the side of the street that they would use to avoid the driveways and keep the interest going as they walk.
Its not just about how it looks from the map view of 500 feet up, it about how it works when you have two feet on the ground. Plus the design is horrible. No scale to it.
cake and keep it, too.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio