HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Jul 30, 2006, 7:44 PM

Construction Update

July 25 2006, hazy skies and bad air day;

Old Posted Jul 30, 2006, 8:07 PM

is it 39 stories including the parking deck or 5 levels or parking + 39 levels of residential (total of 44 stories). I thought I read 12CP was 501ft does 39 or 44 seems closer to that number??

Old Posted Jul 31, 2006, 3:50 AM
JoeCooper

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLBlaxican
is it 39 stories including the parking deck or 5 levels or parking + 39 levels of residential (total of 44 stories). I thought I read 12CP was 501ft does 39 or 44 seems closer to that number??
12CP will be 520 feet to the spire and 470 feet to the roof and 39 floors.

Your thinking of Viewpoint, which will be 501 feet, that will be 36 floors.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 12:41 AM

July 31st 2006:

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 1:34 AM

that is an odd/unique building behind the cranes

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 1:59 AM
Back on the road again

yes it is...it's called Peachtree Summit. I recall a post or thread in here not too long ago that showed a rendering where there was to be a similarly designed but much taller second building, which never got constructed.

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 3:00 PM

Nice pics Mayhem

Old Posted Aug 1, 2006, 4:57 PM

Thanks

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 4:18 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jfsatlbldr
July 25 2006, hazy skies and bad air day;
Yeah, I've always liked the Peachtree Summit building, very cool, esp for a 70s brutalist/modern piece. The other bigger tower was supposed to be on the other side of the interstate and form a "gateway" into downtown.

The cool thing about Peachtree Summit and I suppose too with the new 12CP buildling is that with the Civic Center MARTA station (which is no where near the Civic Center) those buildings will have direct access right into the MARTA system which is pretty rare in ATL. The only other building I can think of that has that is the big BellSouth Building at the North Ave. station.

If you look in the picture above, directly below the red crane horizontal piece is the Subway station. It's actually underground, but since the interstate is in a deeper cut, the interstate actually runs under it, and the station has windows that actually make it a pretty bright station. The main street there (W. Peachtree) runs direction over the station.

That's an area that'd I'd really love to see covered over, to tie downtown and S. Midtown together more. That little triangle to the North of 12CP (between Spring and W.P'tree) would make such a great little park.

Last edited by Chris Creech; Aug 4, 2006 at 4:27 AM.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 9:16 AM

I think I'm one of the few who like Peachtree Summit as well.

Any lot of land between Pine and Ralph McGill over the interstate would close the gap if it were a 50+ story tower, which it would need to be to cover the cost of construction and generate the kind of revenue that would make it worth it for all the political parties to allign.

Old Posted Aug 4, 2006, 10:49 AM

I was surprised when some folks put it on their ugly list in a thread some months ago. I don't think it's that bad either.

As I was riding past the Civic Center station the other day I was wondering if MARTA should consider renaming it "Allen Plaza". I think it was correctly pointed out it's no where near the Civic Center.

Old Posted Aug 5, 2006, 7:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Harry Cane
I was surprised when some folks put it on their ugly list in a thread some months ago. I don't think it's that bad either.

As I was riding past the Civic Center station the other day I was wondering if MARTA should consider renaming it "Allen Plaza". I think it was correctly pointed out it's no where near the Civic Center.
It definitely should be renamed, although I oppose MARTA spending money to rename it - I think it cost $125,000 to rename Hightower to HE Holmes. However, I think "Centennial Hill" is a more approriate name than "Allen Plaza." I support names that are geographic, rather than named after a particular development or company.

"Atlanta - it's getting there."

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terminus
It definitely should be renamed, although I oppose MARTA spending money to rename it - I think it cost $125,000 to rename Hightower to HE Holmes. However, I think "Centennial Hill" is a more approriate name than "Allen Plaza." I support names that are geographic, rather than named after a particular development or company.
I agree and I would donate $$ to rename the Dome/GWCC/Philips Arena/CNN station to something else.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 8:02 PM

Marta Station Names

I'm not sure about the Marta names. Centennial Hill means nothing to me and I've lived in Atlanta since 1981. Allen Plaza would seem much more appropriate than Civic Center....which is a complete false advertising being named Civic Center Station. I know that alot of people visiting know that Dome/GWCC/CNN Center means exactly that....that's what you'll be at when you exit the station. What would you rename this?

If you are visiting our city, you should be able to know what station to exit at based on the name of the station.

When picking station names, they need to imply where they are taking you either by a physical landmark name or a development where alot of the people will be exiting to reach. Allen Plaza seems appropriate. Probably a large percentage of those exiting will be headed toward that finished development. Where did Centennial Hill come from? Honestly, it's not even close to the park at that station and until about a year ago I'd never heard of Centennial Hill. I even question the name Novare has chosen for that matter. While close to the park, it's not on the park and is several blocks of asphalt away to the park. Maybe 12 Centennial Hill would be more appropriate.

Lol, this is a good discussion item though, because until about 8 months ago I had never heard of West Midtown.....what and where is that seriously? Another developers dream? Things change over time granted but West Midtown, come on..... And since when was South Atlanta Road turn into Vinings? Yet again a developers misnomer I would say.

South Atl Road is South Atl Road....when I hear that I know exactly where someone is geographically referring to...but 2 days ago someone told me Vinings and when I started asking where in Vinings that proceeded to describe South Atl Rd....I said oh god.....lol, that's not Vinivgs sorry to burst your bubble...........but if you drive South Atl, everything is being referred to as Vinings!

The next time you are contemplating what the hell went wrong in your life, look in a mirror!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 8:38 PM
Back on the road again

Some pics from Tues Aug 8 - Election Day - VOTE!

Hey folks, my latest project had me on the roof of a low rise building immediately south of Allen Plaza today, so I took a chance to snap a few pics.

This is from the roof of that low rise building looking mostly at 30 Allen Plaza, but you can see TWELVE Centennial Park construction in the background:

From that same roof, looking due north:

Now I'm down at street level at West Peachtree looking northwest at the TWELVE CP construction. They are pouring the 12th level floor slab already!:

Same view from further west along Ivan Allen Boulevard, looking northeast this time:

Finally, I also snapped a picture of 55 Allen Plaza, under construction:

That sure is a busy area these days!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 8:40 PM
i ain't no bubba

@Atlriser: WHEW! I'll bet it felt good to get that off your chest!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 8:46 PM
Back on the road again

I'm assuming I snuck in between four O four's reply!

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 8:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser
I'm not sure about the Marta names. Centennial Hill means nothing to me and I've lived in Atlanta since 1981. Allen Plaza would seem much more appropriate than Civic Center....which is a complete false advertising being named Civic Center Station. I know that alot of people visiting know that Dome/GWCC/CNN Center means exactly that....that's what you'll be at when you exit the station. What would you rename this?

If you are visiting our city, you should be able to know what station to exit at based on the name of the station.

When picking station names, they need to imply where they are taking you either by a physical landmark name or a development where alot of the people will be exiting to reach. Allen Plaza seems appropriate. Probably a large percentage of those exiting will be headed toward that finished development. Where did Centennial Hill come from? Honestly, it's not even close to the park at that station and until about a year ago I'd never heard of Centennial Hill. I even question the name Novare has chosen for that matter. While close to the park, it's not on the park and is several blocks of asphalt away to the park. Maybe 12 Centennial Hill would be more appropriate.

Lol, this is a good discussion item though, because until about 8 months ago I had never heard of West Midtown.....what and where is that seriously? Another developers dream? Things change over time granted but West Midtown, come on..... And since when was South Atlanta Road turn into Vinings? Yet again a developers misnomer I would say.

South Atl Road is South Atl Road....when I hear that I know exactly where someone is geographically referring to...but 2 days ago someone told me Vinings and when I started asking where in Vinings that proceeded to describe South Atl Rd....I said oh god.....lol, that's not Vinivgs sorry to burst your bubble...........but if you drive South Atl, everything is being referred to as Vinings!
lol...great post. Its all about being "grand"...I actually like West Midtown..instead of Atlantic Station or Howell Mill. but point well taken. Great post.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 8:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Atlriser

lol...great post. Its all about being "grand"...I actually like West Midtown..instead of Atlantic Station or Howell Mill. but point well taken. Great post.

Old Posted Aug 8, 2006, 9:28 PM
i ain't no bubba

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD
I'm assuming I snuck in between four O four's reply!
Pictures trump a smartass response any day!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive