HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Feb 4, 2007, 5:10 AM

soon they will fill up so it will come together one day

Old Posted Feb 5, 2007, 8:38 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by JoLeMaMa View Post
Is it me, or is placing the windows on the sides already a bit too much? I believe they should complete the entire structure (height wise) and then begin making it shine.
Luckily you aren't a general contractor. This could require a long explanation, but, basically, different components of the building are handled by different subcontractors. This allows them to work simulaneously and for the project to be completed much faster than if they did it component by component. I would hope that if you actually thought about it a little bit, you would realize this is a much better way to do things.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 1:26 AM
Apathetic...and Loving It

Question 13th Floor gets no love

I was driving down 10th going down W. Peachtree today and got a good view of the construction elevator shaft. My question is this: why do we still omit the 13th floor from skyscrapers? (They did this at 201 17th in Atlantic Station as well) Are people still that superstitious?

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sabino86 View Post
I was driving down 10th going down W. Peachtree today and got a good view of the construction elevator shaft. My question is this: why do we still omit the 13th floor from skyscrapers? (They did this at 201 17th in Atlantic Station as well) Are people still that superstitious?
It is a purely market-driven decision. If you built a highrise of your own and tried to sell or rent out the 13th floor, you would understand! It might seem silly, but it's just a matter of giving people what they want -- and not being stupid enough to try to force people to buy what they don't want.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2007, 8:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarketsWork View Post
It is a purely market-driven decision. If you built a highrise of your own and tried to sell or rent out the 13th floor, you would understand! It might seem silly, but it's just a matter of giving people what they want -- and not being stupid enough to try to force people to buy what they don't want.

Yea, though I think such stupidity has gone to far, it is not the developers fault but the public's.

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 4:33 PM

Quote:
There's a 13th floor in Plaza Midtown and people live on it too!

Old Posted Feb 11, 2007, 6:21 PM

Aqua has now topped out...right?

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 11:34 PM
i ain't no bubba

I manage a building that has a 13th floor but they skipped 13 when numbering the units...go figure.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2007, 11:39 PM
Urban Explorer

Quote:
Originally Posted by ATLssMania View Post
Aqua has now topped out...right?
I believe they have the form work up for the 23rd floor, which means they will need to pour 2 more (for 24 total). I'm not sure if there will be any extra height to cover the HVAC system...it doesn't seem to appear in the renderings.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2007, 11:14 PM
Dutton Brown Design

Pics (2-22-2007)

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 3:43 AM

Thanks for the pics GThomas... I'm sure hoping this thing looks better when it's complete. I'm not sure what word or phrase would describe what it looks like now. It's really strange IMO! Kinda hard to see from that last shot, but the front (facing 10th) looks like it might be a much more coherent design than the other sides.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 5:36 AM
Back on the road again

I know what you mean, Whiplash...I'm sort of frowning and not really liking what I'm seeing so far, and hoping things will come together a bit more as it progresses..it looks sort of odd and ungainly at the moment...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 6:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whiplash3825 View Post
I'm not sure what word or phrase would describe what it looks like now.
Perhaps "unfinished" is the best word to describe a building that is still well under construction. The architect has provided renderings to show how it will look upon completion. Patience!

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 3:54 PM

Quote:
Perhaps "unfinished" is the best word to describe a building that is still well under construction. The architect has provided renderings to show how it will look upon completion. Patience!
I know... and you're right. I've seen the rendering and the flyover and thought it looked fine. We'll soon see...

Old Posted Feb 25, 2007, 4:14 PM
Back on the road again

yes, I fully understand all of that, which is why I couched my comments in the manner that I did. It's the massive concrete wall at the base...but that's been discussed in here also so we don't need to re-hash that.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2007, 5:56 AM
Dutton Brown Design

Pics of north side (2-26-07)

Realized too late that I took the pics in black and white, but here you go.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 3:13 AM

sucks for all the people who live on the north-facing tower of plaza midtown...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 6:42 AM
Urban Explorer

It looks like Aqua has topped out. They're still working on pouring the concrete walls on the side/back of the building, but it looks like they've started putting some kind of bolts into it on the back - we may see another covering over the concrete. I really, really hope so, because right now it looks hideous.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 4:30 PM

I think I like Chicago's Aqua better...

Old Posted Mar 12, 2007, 5:18 PM

I didn't think it would be but Aqua looks slightly taller than the 10 Peachtree building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Completed Project Threads Archive