HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 4:28 AM
mmmm... infillicious!

That isn't what the Vib hotel will look like. That is a rendering from, IIRC, Louisvilly KY that was used as a placeholder.

DenverInfill Blog
DenverUrbanism

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post
That isn't what the Vib hotel will look like. That is a rendering from, IIRC, Louisvilly KY that was used as a placeholder.
Good to know; thanks for the correction.

Hopefully somebody will track down a Real RiNo Rendering soon.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:51 AM
Never Dell

Quote:
Originally Posted by TakeFive View Post
Pffffft

That was a nothing burger compared to the computer driven "do you have a heartbeat" NINJA ("no income, no job and no assets") lending of 2006/2007 packaged up and passed along as high quality new fancy Wall Street derivatives with their various tranches. Now that was a Recession to Remember. Denver didn't suffer from a significant overhang of real estate inventory but it hardly mattered as the aftershocks impacted everybody.

Interestingly, most recessions have been driven by real estate excesses. The Fed-induced recession of the 80's though resulted more from uncontrollable inflation; it was mostly a cost & wage spiral.

But your point about today is why it's hard to find any real estate bubbles. If the economy were to become constipated there might be some inventory overhang here and there but nothing particularly scary.
The last boom was NOTHING like the early 80s in commercial real estate financing.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mhays View Post
The last boom was NOTHING like the early 80s in commercial real estate financing.
Fair enough; the 80's S&L fiasco was noteworthy for commercial property. Actually, Denver experienced a double-whammy because when the Oil & Gas guys packed up their bags and left town they left behind see-thru office buildings downtown and also thousands of empty housing units. But the S&L crisis was largely limited to well S&L's along with those cities left with vacant commercial real estate which was bad enough.

The Great Recession however was the worst financial crisis to my mind caused by a huge real estate bubble. We, the U.S.A. managed to create a Global financial crisis the likes of which I've never seen before. How many $trillions did it take the Fed to backstop this crisis using levers they've never used before? Maybe you were relatively unaffected and thanks to the Fed (and to Obama's ARRA) many were able to carry on with their lives without much pain. But I hope to never see the stock market dive to such depths ever again. Let's just say the stock market wasn't lying; those were very scary times.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 7:31 AM
Robotic Construction

Quote:
Fair enough; the 80's S&L fiasco was noteworthy for commercial property. Actually, Denver experienced a double-whammy because when the Oil & Gas guys packed up their bags and left town they left behind see-thru office buildings downtown and also thousands of empty housing units. But the S&L crisis was largely limited to well S&L's along with those cities left with vacant commercial real estate which was bad enough.

The Great Recession however was the worst financial crisis to my mind caused by a huge real estate bubble. We, the U.S.A. managed to create a Global financial crisis the likes of which I've never seen before. How many $trillions did it take the Fed to backstop this crisis using levers they've never used before? Maybe you were relatively unaffected and thanks to the Fed (and to Obama's ARRA) many were able to carry on with their lives without much pain. But I hope to never see the stock market dive to such depths ever again. Let's just say the stock market wasn't lying; those were very scary times.
That's exactly what we are headed into now. Only this time, the recovery period won't see the job growth recovery that we had after the great recession. That is because, in order to survive this recession, companies will turn to AI and robotics to cut costs. So how will we rebound the 2/3rds of the economy based on consumerism, without solid job growth? A corporate taxation on AI and robotics assets, which in turn will fund a UBI. Initializing the UBI brings a boost to consumer spending, which leads to an expansion in service industry jobs which haven't been replaced by technology. They won't be great paying jobs, but in addition to the UBI, it will add up to a secure middle class lifestyle, which in turn further expands consumerism and specifically the service industry as well as technology services sector (R&M of robotic assets).

I have already cashed in on all my capital gains - as of July 22nd (18.5% in gains, to be exact) along with~60% of my holdings. I have eliminated most of my debt and what debt remains will be paid off over the next two years. I have shifted an additional 7.5% of my remaining holdings into gold as well as another 10% shifted over into high grade bonds. During the upcoming recession, I plan to pump liquidity into equities in carefully selected corporations, which are embracing AI and robotics. I will also invest heavily into blue Chip tech companies and other high dividend companies which have a place in this AI & Robotics based economy. I will also look to purchase a home in a projected optimum buying window which should exist between 3-5 years out from now. I highly recommend you all take similar actions to take advantage of this great opportunity quickly approaching us. I'm walking a very fine line of being completely off topic, so I won't discuss it again on here. My apologies.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 6:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SnyderBock View Post
I have already cashed in on all my capital gains - as of July 22nd (18.5% in gains, to be exact) along with~60% of my holdings. I have eliminated most of my debt and what debt remains will be paid off over the next two years. I have shifted an additional 7.5% of my remaining holdings into gold as well as another 10% shifted over into high grade bonds. During the upcoming recession, I plan to pump liquidity into equities in carefully selected corporations, which are embracing AI and robotics. I will also invest heavily into blue Chip tech companies and other high dividend companies which have a place in this AI & Robotics based economy. I will also look to purchase a home in a projected optimum buying window which should exist between 3-5 years out from now. I highly recommend you all take similar actions to take advantage of this great opportunity quickly approaching us. I'm walking a very fine line of being completely off topic, so I won't discuss it again on here. My apologies.
I have no opinions about the plans outlined above but I gotta admit that I appreciate the conviction and your willingness to act. I don't even know what I'm going to do this afternoon...

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 8:44 PM

I can't quite figure this proposal out. The address is 4900 S. Syracuse which is the site of the existing Marriott Tech Center. That building is only 12 stories. So, I can't tell if this is a vertical expansion of the existing structure or a new building in the parking lot. It's listed as Kimpton Hotel - Belleview Station. However, there is another 17 story hotel proposed on the west side of I-25 right adjacent to the LRT platform.

Quote:
Site Plan - 20-Story, 190 room hotel with approx. 154,345 sqft. including 13,595 ground level lobby/ restaurant. One level of above ground parking (40 Spaces).

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 9:01 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Quote:
Originally Posted by DenverInfill View Post

Here's a low-rez shot from the developer's website:

To be generous, this is pretty meh. Denver FUGLY is going to go ballistic as Brad was giddy over the placeholder rendering.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 9:11 PM
Reluctant Hobbesian

Looks like the City of Denver is ramping of it's shelter ownership:

Denver wants to buy a Salvation Army homeless shelter

I wonder what the plan is for the facility and the $10M that the Salvation Army will receive? Probably some sort of trade-off where the Salvation Army uses the sale proceeds to develop transitional housing at another site while the city goes big and does a massive new shelter on the site of the Crossroads facility. Or put is up elsewhere and sells the the land.

All of us who are concerned for peace and triumph of reason and justice must be keenly aware how small an influence reason and honest good will exert upon events in the political field. ~Albert Einstein

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
I can't quite figure this proposal out. The address is 4900 S. Syracuse which is the site of the existing Marriott Tech Center. That building is only 12 stories. So, I can't tell if this is a vertical expansion of the existing structure or a new building in the parking lot. It's listed as Kimpton Hotel - Belleview Station. However, there is another 17 story hotel proposed on the west side of I-25 right adjacent to the LRT platform.
The DTC could use more height! 20 would be a nice addition.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 10:46 PM

Quote:
The Fox North site will mark the first project for the international partnership.

Courtesy Tryba Architects via Denverite

41-acre 'Fox North' parcel in Globeville sells for $56.5 million
Aug 22, 2019 By James Rodriguez – Data Reporter, Denver Business Journal

Who are these clowns? Some general background, please?

Maybe add a little hype to this?

Oh yeah, that was good; now I'm stoked.

(Rumor has it that Mexico says Trump is going to pay for this.)
Being from Indy, Pure has done a couple pretty projects, but they are all suburban low-rises (8-stories or less). I'm not sure I'd give them much praise just yet.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 11:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rds70 View Post
I had heard the Kimpton will be on the west side of 25, adjacent to the new office building U/C.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 4:46 AM

Images courtesy ZOCALO/Studio

https://zocalodevelopment.com/zocalo...ts/the-quayle/
Quote:
Historic charm meets the perfect South Broadway location at The Quayle – a landmark turned social center for Denver’s Baker neighborhood. Once the 1st Avenue Hotel, The Quayle will feature 102-units of affordable – apartments for renters who earn 60 percent of the Area Median Income. The ground floor will include nearly 11,000 square feet of retail and have four new neighborhood-friendly restaurant tenants.
https://livethequayle.com/
Quote:
A timeless fixture on the prominent Denver street is now offering brand new affordable, income restricted apartments.
They're just starting to rent units; (at least) 10 units available so far.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 1:58 PM

Quote:
[...]

A Google image search on that fellow returns "hipster", and provides links to stock photos of the same model.

Just amusing to me.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 2:01 PM

Hilarious, he certainly checks a lot of Denver Hipster boxes:
- Fixed wheel bike and messenger bag
- Manicured beard and freshly-slicked back haircut
- Vintage button down shirt, shorts and shoes (that probably combined cost over $500)
- Expensive watch (even though he works at a coffee shop)
- An appropriate number of tattoos

Just needs the obligatory Apple laptop with local Brewery stickers

Last edited by BG918; Aug 25, 2019 at 10:15 PM.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 2:32 PM

Not the best skyline view but a reliable cam. Apologies for the advert.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Fq68_K0YlIA

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 7:24 PM

Very nice clear camera view from, let me guess, the top of one of the office buildings near the Rugby stadium in Glendale. Love that view with the Indian Peaks ( Longs and Meeker too) in the distance. Moved back to my native Oregon, but i will always have love in my heart for this beautiful city.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 10:14 PM

^ Yep the mountain view from this angle is superior to that looking directly west toward Mt Evans, IMO. This showcases the Upper Downtown core but completely hides 1801 California and makes the Mid-Downtown skyline look really small (4S, 1144, Tabor, etc). Golden Triangle is in full view with its increasing density. You can see the Capitol Hill/Cheeseman Park mini-skyline that gets more dated every year, and the Cherry Creek cluster on the far lower right.

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 1:16 AM

The new Denver Skyline

Old Posted Aug 26, 2019, 3:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mtnboi303 View Post
The new Denver Skyline

Looks awesome! Probably won't have that sort of infill for +40 years but it looks awesome!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Mountain West