HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 1:41 AM

They were saying on the Military Channel that the South Tower was less than 20% full at the time of impact, is this correct?

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 3:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bmust71 View Post
They were saying on the Military Channel that the South Tower was less than 20% full at the time of impact, is this correct?
Not true. The Twin Towers were about 98% occupied on 9/11. Most of the tenants were technology, business, and law firms.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 3:09 AM

I understand that about 20% of those that worked in the towers were actually there at the time of impact.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 5:07 AM

:edit:

(Mods, please delete this)

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 4:02 PM

Yeah the 20% number seems about right. About 14,000 or so people were in the Towers at the time of the plane crashes on 9/11. The 98% reference was probably to say that 98% of the Tower was occupied with tenants on a daily basis. However, since the attacks happened before 9 AM a lot of people did not arrive to work allowing their lives to be spared. If the attacks happened lets say around noon then a lot more people would have been killed. Thankfully the bastards that did this didn't think about that but still no one should have died that day. Period.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 4:43 PM
Basket Case

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
Yeah the 20% number seems about right. About 14,000 or so people were in the Towers at the time of the plane crashes on 9/11. The 98% reference was probably to say that 98% of the Tower was occupied with tenants on a daily basis. However, since the attacks happened before 9 AM a lot of people did not arrive to work allowing their lives to be spared. If the attacks happened lets say around noon then a lot more people would have been killed. Thankfully the bastards that did this didn't think about that but still no one should have died that day. Period.
Not only that but hes talking about the South Tower...and many people had started to evacuate the building after seeing what had already happened next door.

Old Posted Apr 12, 2013, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimumPx View Post
Not only that but hes talking about the South Tower...and many people had started to evacuate the building after seeing what had already happened next door.
I know he was talking about the South Tower. Well, had it not been for that stupid announcement telling everyone it was safe to go back to work in Tower 2 following the first plane crash perhaps a lot of people would have made it out. Whoever made that announcement should seriously burn in hell. I don't care if it would have made things smoother for the evacuation in Tower 1. You see a building is on fire whether it's the same building or the one next door you get the hell out. A lot of things were ridiculous that day. The Port Authority never learned after 1993. Sure they improved security in the basement and in the lobby but a lot of things should have been working more efficiently, like the elevators. For goodness sake, the firemen had to walk up the damn stairs, only a few elevators worked. The Trade Center had plenty of backup generators and not one was put to good use. It's great men like Rick Rescorla who worked security for Dean Witter (later merged with Morgan Stanley. He helped nearly 3,000 people get out safely that day. He anticipated the 1993 Bombing style attack and 9/11 as well. The Port didn't give a shit about their buildings. Instead of privatizing it to Silverstein they should have sold it. That complex was a great place and I still miss it to this day. It's people like Austin Tobin and Guy Tozzoli who really made the World Trade Center for what it was, a world icon.

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 2:12 AM
Future Mayor of Chicago

Quote:
Originally Posted by NewYorker2009 View Post
I know he was talking about the South Tower. Well, had it not been for that stupid announcement telling everyone it was safe to go back to work in Tower 2 following the first plane crash perhaps a lot of people would have made it out. Whoever made that announcement should seriously burn in hell. I don't care if it would have made things smoother for the evacuation in Tower 1. You see a building is on fire whether it's the same building or the one next door you get the hell out.
I agree, even under the assumption that a plane was not going to hit the south tower and that the north tower would not collapse I don't see how anyone in their right mind could think they could just go about their normal work day with all this going on.

"Auto-centric suburban sprawl is the devil physically manifesting himself in the built environment."

Old Posted Apr 13, 2013, 6:31 PM

Interesting series of lighting proposals for the towers when they were first opened in 1973.

http://www.allanwexlerstudio.com/pro...d-trade-center

Quote:
The year I moved to New York City, the World Trade Center was nearing completion. It was the tallest building in the world. I thought of the tower’s facades as huge blank canvases.
I am interested in simple solutions that make a big impact so I proposed the redesign of the surfaces of the towers using only the light switches, the window shades and the labor of the cleaning staff. Each evening the cleaning person consults a calendar positioned at each window of the building to determine if a light is to be left on or a window shade adjusted. ON/OFF - the binary system in operation. The illusion is that World Trade Center’s facade is sliced, dissected, rearranged, or transformed into other facades. The Empire State Building or Notre Dame can be displaced to lower Manhattan.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 12:23 AM
An Optimistic Realist

^^^ That would have been awesome. Since the new 1 WTC is similar and has done facades like this befor, this idea can be implemented on it.

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 7:50 AM

I always loved the Twin Towers at night. It was so pretty to look at. I fell in love with them because of this as a kid. Was only 8 on 9/11.

Here is New York City at night before 9/11. Skip to 2:35 to see the Twin Towers at night.

Video Link

Old Posted Apr 14, 2013, 10:08 PM

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=b0AyjQoM1TA

start at 30s with this song playing

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 3:13 AM

Something I've always wondered about, does anyone know how damaged the North Tower was after the South Tower collapse? I imagine that the concourse and the lobby probably took damage.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2013, 4:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SFContributor View Post
Something I've always wondered about, does anyone know how damaged the North Tower was after the South Tower collapse? I imagine that the concourse and the lobby probably took damage.
There is video taken after the collapse of 2WTC that shows the crushed Marriott Hotel, and shows some significant facade damage to the south face of 1WTC, including a portion where some perimeter columns appear to be missing. Unfortunately smoke and dust obscures most of the damage, but the damage appears to start a few floors below the first pair of mechanical floors (43-44), and trailing down from there. I've seen the video on Youtube, I'll see if I can find it and post a link to it here. There's also video of firefighters in the lobby of 1 during the collapse of 2, the video is located here

I'm sure the plaza and at least the first floor of the concourse was destroyed by the collapse of 2. If the collapse of that tower could flatten 4WTC (literally flattened), imagine what it did to the underground.

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 6:34 PM

Thought you guys would be interested in seeing this. Ignore if this has already been posted. I found this app where if you are within 40 miles of the WTC, in digitally inserts them in the correct spot using GPS tracking. Check out the link. http://www.110stories.com/

Old Posted May 1, 2013, 8:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by OptimumPx View Post
Exactly. For example, my grandmother was working on the 92nd floor of 2WTC that day. When the first plane hit she flashed back to the '93 bombing and a yelled for everyone to get out (she caught one of the last elevators down and made it. Her boss and a few other co-workers stayed behind to ensure everyone was out. They were trapped after the 2nd plane hit).

Also, a lot of the deaths in 2WTC were firefighters and other emergency personnel who were ascending the stairs when it fell. 2WTC caught everyone off guard...

Old Posted May 5, 2013, 4:23 AM
An Optimistic Realist

Old Posted May 9, 2013, 9:56 PM

As we wait for the last piece of the spire to be placed, I Post some historical documents.
I don't know if anybody has posted them before, but I guess nobody would complain about that.

First this ad of Pakistan International Airlines of 1979. The advertisers that did this ad had no clue how unfortunate it would be 21 years later. Although I find it somehow shocking, it is not anything else than an unfortunate coincidence. I hope nobody takes this in a wrong way, I post it just as curiosity.

1979 Ominous ad from Pakistan International Airlines por SA_Steve, en Flickr

And this are some pages of a supplement published on the New York Times on february 28th 1971, to advertise the then still in construction, World Trade Center Complex.
I just post this five pages here, but there are 16 pages in total, you can find the rest of the supplement in this Flickr album: http://www.flickr.com/photos/3447164...th/7914742406/

Page 1 por hoveringcheesecake, en Flickr

Page 3 por hoveringcheesecake, en Flickr

Page 8 por hoveringcheesecake, en Flickr

Page 9 por hoveringcheesecake, en Flickr

Page 12 por hoveringcheesecake, en Flickr

Old Posted May 10, 2013, 11:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CCs77 View Post

Page 9 por hoveringcheesecake, en Flickr
Facinating to see what the Trade Center would have looked like with the Singer Building still existing and no Battery Park city.

Old Posted Jun 3, 2013, 10:40 PM
New Yorker for life

“Office buildings are our factories – whether for tech, creative or traditional industries we must continue to grow our modern factories to create new jobs,” said United States Senator Chuck Schumer.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture