HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States

Old Posted Jun 7, 2007, 5:53 AM
Always running Late

I think Idaho.. alteast before I moved here.. I thought..
Mountains, rivers, Potatoes People: lumberjacks, natives, outdoorsy

upon moving here... Mountains, Computer Chips, Warm Springs People: Outdoorsy, welcoming, adventerous. (I've noticed there's a lot of good looking people around as well)

Old Posted Jul 3, 2007, 2:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JMancuso View Post
being from upstate new york, this grates me to no end.
Even though, as a born-and-raised Upstater I have to admit that the City is, was, and always will be the crux of the state, it still does indeed grate when people are totally ignorant of all that space between the northern edge of the Bronx and Lake Ontario/St. Lawrence River/Lake Erie.

You don't know how many times I've had to viciously tickle the wife for taking pot-shots at Upstate. Damn Downstaters...

Old Posted Jul 8, 2007, 11:42 PM

atlanta: "Baptist-new agey hipster wannabe-hip hop mixed culture" - heckles

(hahawha?!)

Old Posted Jul 13, 2007, 3:21 PM

Go to school in NYC but am from Connecticut (Hartford) and everyone automatically assumes that all of Connecticut must be like Fairfield County - the closest part of Connecticut to metro New York City. These people cannot possibly view poverty, violence, unemployment, blight, etc. as being in Connecticut.

Oh and with Mass. - yes amazingly there is more to the state then Boston. Residents of the Pioneer Valley (western Mass around Springfield, I-91 and the CT River) feel a world away from their state capital in Boston.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2007, 12:38 AM

Coming from Pittsburgh, I know that PA has often been described as Pittsburgh and Philadelphia with Nebraska (or some other rural state) in the middle. Obviously, the topography is different.

I've also been to all 50 states (some more frequently than others), so I guess I would have different impressions than many people.

To the upstate New Yorkers, I think of NY as NYC plus the rest of the state, even if NYC dominates. I think of NYC people as abrasive in aggregate, but I've never had any issues one-on-one.

Florida makes me think of hurricanes, swamp, Disney, oranges, and rude people in the south.

For Illinois, I think of Chicago along with a typical Midwestern state.

Wisconsin makes me think of cheese and water slides (what's up with that?).

Nevada conjures up Vegas, Tahoe, and vast desert.

Minnesota does make me think of winter cold (though I've never been there in winter), summer humidity, 10,000 lakes, and mosquitoes.

Texas brings to mind, "Don't Mess with Texas" and "Drive Friendly--The Texas Way."

New Jersey seems to be largely a suburb of Philadelphia or New York, aside from the Atlantic City and resort areas.

Old Posted Jul 21, 2007, 12:21 AM
high expectations

The biggest steryotype of all is probably of Canada as a whole being like alaska or antactica

Im not sure if thats what its like for everyone but thats so extremely far from the truth with even just province to province its like going to different countries

As for it being cold its supposed to get to 36 or 37C for sunday here in winnipeg (98F)

winnipeg has more then half a months worth of 86F + and with the humidity 86F can easily feel like 104F my thermometer my be wronge but its read 122F a lot last year

(this years been cooler then average [average being last 20 years])
dont get me wronge though but most major canadian cities shutter at winnipeg or even Minniapolis's winter temperature though with winnipeg being the Coldest city in the world (pop over 600 000)
easily reaching -22F during january or even febuary or even -40F a couple of times

for more check me website

My Hoar Frost Photo Thread (Feb 2012).

Old Posted Jul 25, 2007, 3:32 PM

I'm from Jersey and South Jersey Is philadelphia and north Jersey is NYC its likes 2 completely different states.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 6:02 PM
Devon Tower/Museum Tower!

I hate to say it, but the only reason stereotypes exist is because there is some truth to them. There will always be those that continue to adhere to the stereotype, no matter how much everyone else tries to get away from it.

Old Posted Nov 12, 2007, 11:44 PM
Respect My Authorit-I!

Quote:
Originally Posted by nschmoyer View Post
I hate to say it, but the only reason stereotypes exist is because there is some truth to them. There will always be those that continue to adhere to the stereotype, no matter how much everyone else tries to get away from it.

True, but many stereotypes are based on outdated ideas that have become rarely seen or nonexistent. Habits, fads, social characteristics, income levels, communities, and cultures in general - apects of these groups can change or come and go very quickly...but some people still like to hold on to the stereotypes from 1980...think about how things around you have changed since then...

Old Posted Nov 13, 2007, 6:43 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Drewcifer View Post
When I think of Wisconsin stereotypes 3 things come to mind: beer, cheese and the Green Bay Packers.
You forgot serial killers

Old Posted May 21, 2008, 4:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RG1976 View Post
To the upstate New Yorkers, I think of NY as NYC plus the rest of the state, even if NYC dominates. I think of NYC people as abrasive in aggregate, but I've never had any issues one-on-one.
The thing is that people think because downstate and upstate are "different" (which is extremely relative unless we're talking economy) and that upstate NY is up for grabs. There are people that honestly think Albany is 8 hours from NYC, when in fact its 2 hours (145 miles). Thats "so far" but commuting from PA to work in NYC isnt apparently, which almost takes the same amount of time, obviously depending on where.

NYC most certainly has an influence upstate, but it lessens the more west you go on 90. Albany is the medium for upstate and downstate, and when you look one way and have NYC and to the other with dying cities, its a no brainer where most of the power goes. Utica consists of half of NYC rejects, and was also an important player in connection with the mob in Brooklyn from the prohibition to the 70s, due to the largest population of Italians outside the NYC metro. There are also old maps that show Utica (Fort Schuyler) during the American Revolution and how the frontier was just west of it (including Syracuse). Utica also prospered from being on the Mohawk River, which is a runoff of the Hudson coming from Albany and obviously NYC.

Then you have people that think Upstate cities are non-existent. There are about 4 which at least 100,000 in the city and a million in their metros, inner city problems typical of anywhere else (sometimes worse) and loads of diversity. I've ran into people that think Upstate is all white people, which is partly true-- IN RURAL AREAS. Alot of the immigrants trickle upstate, especially Utica, which is probably the most diverse city of its size (60,000). Crime rates and ghettos in Upstate cities are even worse than in NYC.

Ive split time between Brooklyn and Utica and recently graduated from college in Jersey and I remember I went out one night in the city and got into a discussion about being from upstate with a bouncer. He assumed "I had land" and it kinda pissed me off. Honestly, Id bet I got as much land as he does in his 2x4 yard in Brooklyn. Most NYCers think if you're from Upstate you got land, which is not true in any sense.

I'd bet the majority of Upstaters that go to the city are familiar with the culture because theres a higher % that live in said Upstate cities. Theres plenty of diversity Upstate and any culture shock is relative. The only difference I find is the economy.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 5:21 PM
Bah!

One stereotype I've noticed (from East and West Coasters) - Iowa, Ohio, Idaho.....meh, same thing.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 8:29 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasBoi View Post

For Texas, I will say that the one thing they probably should have added was it's diverse land. Texas is very diverse from swamps to hills to praries to thick forests to desert to plains.
Also: Flash floods.

San Antonio: Land of the Rescue Fee!

Old Posted Jun 15, 2008, 11:34 PM
Of Heart's Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayorOfChicago View Post
California Place: Very diverse state, two huge cities
San Diego isn't really that big.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2008, 1:48 AM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
San Diego isn't really that big.
San Francisco is kinda big. Only a little.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 4:58 PM
Of Heart's Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
San Francisco is kinda big. Only a little.
So then the state has at least four huge cities?

Old Posted Jun 17, 2008, 8:31 PM
Bears of antiquity

CA is all sprawl.

Everything is a suburb of LA

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 3:52 PM
Of Heart's Delight

Quote:
Originally Posted by alexjon View Post
CA is all sprawl.

Everything is a suburb of LA
including LA

Old Posted Jun 18, 2008, 4:26 PM
Bears of antiquity

Quote:
Originally Posted by krudmonk View Post
including LA
It's the LA-LA MSA

I wonder what the other big city is? I bet it's Fresno

Old Posted Oct 5, 2008, 6:47 PM

I am a resident of StLouis MO and your stero type about the state is correct. Highway I70 corridor is populated by the middle class but your statements about StLouis are wrong. The fifth wealthiest city in America(Huntleigh)is in Saint Louis County.Saint Louis County, Saint charles,Jefferson,Madison, Saint Clair and Marion counties have collectively the 14Th highest population in america at 2,985.943 people. the neighborhoods of Belreive, University City, Dog Town, The Central West End, Webster Groves are style and design centers. Washington University and Webster University are top rated schools in America . O,fallon and Saint Charles are the fastest growing cities in America. The Inner city is under going several projects to bring it back to its former glory. with the mass renovation of Washington Ave we even have our own loft district. A new Mississippi River bridge to replace the Popular Street bridge is even in the works. You can say what you want to about Missouri,but do not mess with Saint Louis[/B] Cause we WILL FIND YOU .

Last edited by the architect26; Oct 5, 2008 at 7:01 PM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States