HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 3:57 AM

Really excited to see what becomes of this site. Redevelopment is long overdue.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 1:08 PM

All I thought when I saw this was "finally!" I have some nostalgia for this mall but it's been hanging by a thread for waay too long. It'll be so nice to see the gross parking garages torn down. I hope they develop something worthy of the prime location. Just to be rid of this giant fortress that has had its back to the neighborhood for 60 years will be a positive thing.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 3:29 PM

MLB Stadium and District!!!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2021, 5:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PacificStates View Post
Really excited to see what becomes of this site. Redevelopment is long overdue.
I would't mind seeing a couple of 225' towers go up here.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2021, 8:49 PM

Lloyd Center and its future possibilities

Hi All,

Remember growing up in the 60's and going to the toy store at LC. Open, windy, and wet sometimes. Great memories! Glad to see this happening for PDX future.

Hope it is done right for business and the neighborhood (N, NE, and SE). I hope for some point towers (300'+), green spaces, grid pattern, alleyways for restaurants and pubs, best movie multi-plex in PDX, small venue for music/plays/etc. (1000 people), artistic work/live area for all skills from architects to glassworks/pottery, cars left on the edges (people focus redevelopment), and maybe room for MLB stadium/entertainment zone.

I do expect multi-level parking for EV's and trucks for products needed to support the area (). Trucks restricted to best access point but items are delivered by smaller EV business. Only trucks allowed for maintenance issues.

Oh and make sure there is roof areas designed to support future air taxi services and drone deliveries.

Cheers, ESV

Old Posted Nov 6, 2021, 2:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EastsideView View Post
Hi All,

Remember growing up in the 60's and going to the toy store at LC. Open, windy, and wet sometimes. Great memories! Glad to see this happening for PDX future.

Hope it is done right for business and the neighborhood (N, NE, and SE). I hope for some point towers (300'+), green spaces, grid pattern, alleyways for restaurants and pubs, best movie multi-plex in PDX, small venue for music/plays/etc. (1000 people), artistic work/live area for all skills from architects to glassworks/pottery, cars left on the edges (people focus redevelopment), and maybe room for MLB stadium/entertainment zone.

I do expect multi-level parking for EV's and trucks for products needed to support the area (). Trucks restricted to best access point but items are delivered by smaller EV business. Only trucks allowed for maintenance issues.

Oh and make sure there is roof areas designed to support future air taxi services and drone deliveries.

Cheers, ESV
Most likely a request to the city asking for them to pay to restore the street grid. Then they will sell off each block.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2021, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Six Ways to Redefine Portland, Using One Dead Mall
The ideas range widely. New neighborhood. Skateboard park. Wooden tower. Library branch. Robot market.

The biggest opportunity to reshape Portland’s landscape currently smells like a Cinnabon.

That’s right: Those 23 acres of prime real estate are Portland’s way out of civic malaise.

Ever since lenders decided to foreclose on the Lloyd Center Mall, Portlanders have flooded social media with tear-stained memories of childhood ice-skating parties and caramel corn feasts.

Most of those people probably haven’t visited for a while.

For more than a decade, Lloyd Center has degraded into a carjacker and shoplifter’s paradise. The pandemic accelerated that decline, but Lloyd Center was struggling well before then. (In 2019, this newspaper published a cover story wondering if the mall would last another Christmas.) The four anchor stores—Sears, Nordstrom, Marshalls, Macy’s—have all abandoned ship.

A Honey Baked Ham kiosk is one of few signs of holiday bustle. Only a third of the mall’s storefronts are occupied, and several of the shops lower their security gates even during posted business hours.
...continues at Willamette Week.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 1:07 AM
A before E

The site is so big that it could probably do all of those ideas and fit a MLB stadium. I do like the idea that this area could become a dense urban mixed income district even without using any of the nearby Kaiser property that they seem to not want to redevelop.

Though the idea for the public market, I don't see that happening over in this area, though it would be a good tourist draw. Personally I think the best existing building in Portland for a public market is the bus depot by the train station. It's design is a perfect design for an open public market that could easily be filled with shops and produce booths.

As for the starchitect part, if someone like Koolhaas is commissioned to design a building in Portland, then we best damn let him design here because Portland could use a few starchitect designed buildings.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 5:39 AM

I don't understand how we are in a declared housing emergency and can't create a temporary shelter or shelters in the empty department stores surrounding the mall. The old Meier and Frank building makes the most sense to me. Close to transit, no immediate neighbors, utilities are already in the building, and it has several tens of thousands of square feet. We have plenty of money to build out the space and it can be utilized for several years while the property goes through foreclosure, re-ownership, reimagining and redeveloping. I'd also urge the city to utilize the garages fronting Multnomah for RV parking with proper hook ups. This fairly quick solution frees up our ability to focus on other solutions that may take several years to build out.

I feel the same way about the Post Office property too. There's no reason why we can't open enough non-used properties around the city to get roofs over the houseless and eliminate the camps that are harming the livability and humanity in our beloved town.

Old Posted Nov 18, 2021, 10:10 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
...continues at Willamette Week.
I support 100% the advocacy in Idea #1 by architect George Crandall. I have previously weighed in that Lloyd Center should be leveled and the 200-foot street grid restored. Within the newly-developed district of short blocks, many of the other ideas mentioned in the article could be built, such as a public market. Maybe the ice skating rink could be saved and incorporated into the public market. At every step of the design process, we need to stay focused on making the new district continuously walkable with easy pathways to MAX, Streetcar, Convention Center, and Blumenauer Bridge.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 1:16 AM

Playing around with what could be regarding the site. I made the tall building 450ft and the pink is a stadium. These are all guesses, but just to give an idea of the restored street grid + individual building mass.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2021, 7:17 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
Playing around with what could be regarding the site. I made the tall building 450ft and the pink is a stadium. These are all guesses, but just to give an idea of the restored street grid + individual building mass.

Some issues with this, a baseball stadium would probably be about the size of the Target Center in Minneapolis, which is 650'x700' roughly. That takes up about the eastern side of the mall site.

There is also the current zoning laws for the site. For this whole site, it is currently set at 150' with bonuses up to 225'.

Old Posted Dec 17, 2021, 7:00 PM

https://www.bizjournals.com/portland...source=twitter

Quote:
Seattle developer steps forward to lead 'evolution' of Lloyd Center
By Jonathan Bach – Staff Reporter, Portland Business Journal
Dec 17, 2021 Updated 31 minutes ago

Urban Renaissance Group, a Seattle-based real estate firm with a Portland presence, will take point on the "evolution" of the Lloyd Center.

URG "will look to the community to help shape what's to come," according toan advertisement for the mall and its tenants in the latest edition of the Portland Business Journal.

"Stay tuned," a spokesperson told the Business Journal on Friday morning when asked for comment.

URG was 17th on the Business Journal's list of commercial development companies in the Portland area, with 400,000 square feet developed between 2016 and 2020 and 2.09 million square feet globally.

The future of the approximately 1-million-square-foot Lloyd Center was thrust into uncertainty after KKR Real Estate Finance Trust (NYSE: KREF) in October disclosed plans to foreclose on a multimillion-dollar loan after borrowers failed to keep up with payments.
...(continues)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 5:44 PM

(paywall)
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...er-revamp.html

Quote:
Seattle developer Urban Renaissance Group plans Lloyd Center revamp
Updated: Dec. 20, 2021, 8:28 a.m. | Published: Dec. 20, 2021, 8:26 a.m.
By Elliot Njus | The Oregonian/OregonLive

A Seattle-based developer said Monday it was taking on a revamp of Portland’s troubled Lloyd Center mall.

Urban Renaissance Group said it would partner with KKR Real Estate Finance Trust, the New York lender that announced plans to repossess the Northeast Portland shopping center earlier this year. Last week, the company placed advertisements in the Portland Business Journal soliciting tenants for the mall.

The developer said Lloyd Center would remain open for now, and its long-term plans remain unclear. Urban Renaissance Group said it planned to consult with current tenants, neighbors and city officials.

But, the company’s Portland market leader said, the site’s long-term future likely includes shopping and preserving the mall’s centerpiece ice rink, or at least a version of it.

“We know many Oregonians have fond memories of Lloyd Center and we take seriously our responsibility for making sure it continues to be a community gathering place,” Tom Kilbane, the company’s managing director for Portland, said in a statement. “As we begin the planning process, our ambition is to embrace and preserve features of the property that make it special, including retail, creative work spaces and ice skating.”
...(continues)

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 5:45 PM

^Doing the same thing as the last owner and expecting a different result sounds like a plan for success!

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 6:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
^Doing the same thing as the last owner and expecting a different result sounds like a plan for success!
If they are not ready to commit to wholesale redevelopment in the (relatively) short term they need to do something to attract/retain tenants if they want to avoid completely shuttering the mall. No doubt this site will eventually be redeveloped but sitting on a giant asset for a decade while they negotiate with the city and wait for the right market timing is a lot to ask and not in the best interest of the district

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 6:47 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
It’s not like a big redevelopment would happen soon anyways. It’ll probably sit like the post office site. Quite frankly they probably don't want the headache of dealing with the city on a full scale redevelopment.

Why I find the good news is I think if you had an entertainment bowling center like Punch bowl or Dave Busters to Lloyd Center and keep the idea with Live Narion concert hall will draw tons of ppl there.. you need entertainment and if you also continue with the high end movie theater I think it’ll pop off..

Last edited by CorbinWarrick; Dec 20, 2021 at 7:21 PM.

Old Posted Dec 20, 2021, 10:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AdamUrbanist View Post
If they are not ready to commit to wholesale redevelopment in the (relatively) short term they need to do something to attract/retain tenants if they want to avoid completely shuttering the mall. No doubt this site will eventually be redeveloped but sitting on a giant asset for a decade while they negotiate with the city and wait for the right market timing is a lot to ask and not in the best interest of the district
I get it. If they indicate the mall is facing imminent closure, the remaining tenants will flee and they'd have zero income for the giant lot that has a huge property tax bill to pay. It also probably easier to provide security to an operational building than to a shuttered building. But still...

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 9:17 AM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by CorbinWarrick View Post
It’s not like a big redevelopment would happen soon anyways. It’ll probably sit like the post office site. Quite frankly they probably don't want the headache of dealing with the city on a full scale redevelopment.

Why I find the good news is I think if you had an entertainment bowling center like Punch bowl or Dave Busters to Lloyd Center and keep the idea with Live Narion concert hall will draw tons of ppl there.. you need entertainment and if you also continue with the high end movie theater I think it’ll pop off..
Something to keep in mind, this would be a private development compared to the post office site that is a public development that also took getting the post office to commit to moving and building a new location. The city has a vested interest in making sure the post office site is a key addition to downtown. As for the Lloyd Center, it will have a similar outlook, but will be done through a private company that will be more focused on their bottom line goals.

Old Posted Dec 21, 2021, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
Something to keep in mind, this would be a private development compared to the post office site that is a public development that also took getting the post office to commit to moving and building a new location. The city has a vested interest in making sure the post office site is a key addition to downtown. As for the Lloyd Center, it will have a similar outlook, but will be done through a private company that will be more focused on their bottom line goals.
Not to derail the thread but the post office made up their mind 20 plus years ago to move their facility near to the airport.----Back to the subject----

Lloyd center will struggle until its torn down and completely redeveloped.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland