HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland

Old Posted Oct 14, 2019, 10:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RED_PDXer View Post
Depending on the type of redevelopment, I would think replacing the mall and it's blank street frontage with more intense and interesting development would bring up property values in the area, perhaps enough to support more housing. Right now, that mall is a black hole of real estate in an otherwise ideal location. The ballpark in that location would make a lot of sense from a transportation perspective, but it could also be another large-scale development without much of a street presence, depending on how it's designed.
Why not encourage the stadium to have ground floor retail?

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 7:03 AM
A before E

Quote:
Depending on the type of redevelopment, I would think replacing the mall and it's blank street frontage with more intense and interesting development would bring up property values in the area, perhaps enough to support more housing. Right now, that mall is a black hole of real estate in an otherwise ideal location. The ballpark in that location would make a lot of sense from a transportation perspective, but it could also be another large-scale development without much of a street presence, depending on how it's designed.
One thing to keep in mind, a MLB stadium would take up about half the size the current mall takes up which would open up for a lot of land to be redeveloped. So while the stadium might be dead space to some degree, the rest of the site would have a lot of potential to be very active on a regular basis being set in an urban setting like the Lloyd District.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NOPO View Post
Why not encourage the stadium to have ground floor retail?
That is very possible, the street level of a stadium could incorporate retail and restaurant space.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 4:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbanlife View Post
One thing to keep in mind, a MLB stadium would take up about half the size the current mall takes up which would open up for a lot of land to be redeveloped. So while the stadium might be dead space to some degree, the rest of the site would have a lot of potential to be very active on a regular basis being set in an urban setting like the Lloyd District.

That is very possible, the street level of a stadium could incorporate retail and restaurant space.
Petco Park is a good example of what could happen to the Lloyd if a stadium was thoughtfully designed.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 5:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Petco Park is a good example of what could happen to the Lloyd if a stadium was thoughtfully designed.
Yikes.. I just looked at Petco Park on Google Streetview. What is the nice side? I don't think anything other than ticket sales and souvenir shop. Providence Park is a bit more engaging than that.

Old Posted Oct 15, 2019, 8:28 PM

Quote:
Yikes.. I just looked at Petco Park on Google Streetview. What is the nice side? I don't think anything other than ticket sales and souvenir shop. Providence Park is a bit more engaging than that.
Oh I agree, the street level connections are non-existent. That's why I italicized the example. A Portland park would would need/could have better pedestrian frontages. However, the neighborhood the sprouted around it has created a very active urban environment with the ballpark being the catalyst for all the new buildings.

Old Posted Oct 17, 2019, 1:04 AM
RCTID

Quote:
Originally Posted by MarkDaMan View Post
Oh I agree, the street level connections are non-existent. That's why I italicized the example. A Portland park would would need/could have better pedestrian frontages. However, the neighborhood the sprouted around it has created a very active urban environment with the ballpark being the catalyst for all the new buildings.
They also did a good job of making the right/centerfield areas accessible on non game days. These areas act just like parks and flow right in with the city. Also love how the used the old metal building and incorporated it into the park as well.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:18 PM

A fence has been in place around the Residence Inn on Multnomah for at least a month.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 4:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MNTimberjack View Post
A fence has been in place around the Residence Inn on Multnomah for at least a month.
It looks like it's been removed from Marriott's website. The owners are planning on converting the property into traditional apartments. I don't know when it was planned for the hotel to close, but the current situation might have accelerated that timeline.

On a different note, there was an interesting article in the New York Times yesterday about the future of department stores. It's hard to see Macy's emerging from this crisis with as many stores as they had at the start of this year. If they're going to close a Portland area store I imagine that the Lloyd Center location would be the first to go. If that happens, I don't really see how the Lloyd Center survives.

www.twitter.com/maccoinnich

Old Posted Apr 22, 2020, 9:55 PM
A before E

Quote:
Originally Posted by maccoinnich View Post
It looks like it's been removed from Marriott's website. The owners are planning on converting the property into traditional apartments. I don't know when it was planned for the hotel to close, but the current situation might have accelerated that timeline.

On a different note, there was an interesting article in the New York Times yesterday about the future of department stores. It's hard to see Macy's emerging from this crisis with as many stores as they had at the start of this year. If they're going to close a Portland area store I imagine that the Lloyd Center location would be the first to go. If that happens, I don't really see how the Lloyd Center survives.
Hopefully future site of a MLB stadium and urban redevelopment.

Old Posted Apr 24, 2020, 12:05 AM

I noticed today while driving by that the entire half-block along Grand between Pacific and Oregon is fenced off and some sort of work is underway. I thought I saw an architecture firm's banner, too? Went home and checked Portland Maps, though, and the only permit I see is regarding a "private sewer" disconnection. Hmmm...

Re: a MLB ballpark being placed right there in the Lloyd, I say hell yes as long as it leads to that area shedding its mid-20th century auto-centric baggage (not the opposite, i.e. lots of surface parking). That whole area, obviously, from I-5 up Broadway-Weidler to the mall site could absorb a tremendous amount of density with the MAX and streetcar running through. It's one of the most depressing and under-utilized areas of Portland and I get to travel through it routinely. I'd much rather see 8,000 apartments (or whatever they've proposed) in this area than north of the Fremont Bridge on the westside, personally. It would be fabulous to see a high-density spine of mixed-use development connect from the east to a future Albina Vision coming to fruition. On the other hand, it's hard to imagine a ballpark moving forward, or anything else, if we enter into a civilization-pummeling mega-depression...

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 9:57 PM

https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...ket-crash.html

I'm guessing the lot for sale is this site, which had Early Assistance activity in early 2018 for
Quote:
a new mixed use buidling. There are two options under consideration: Option 1 is is a 76,000 square foot music venue with four levels of commercial space and a 14 story residential tower.Current code: Option 2 is the construction of a four levels of commercial space and a 14-story residential tower. Three levels of below-grade parking are proposed with both options.

Old Posted May 5, 2020, 11:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pdxsg34 View Post
https://www.oregonlive.com/business/...ket-crash.html

I'm guessing the lot for sale is this site, which had Early Assistance activity in early 2018 for
unsurprisingly this quote is right out of the Trump administration playbook:
“There really is no story here,” McDermott said. “The plan all along was to realize cash from this parking lot asset and deploy that cash elsewhere. The current marketing effort that is underway is simply to make a broader spectrum of buyers aware that the property is for sale.”
can't IMAGINE that Sondland is having money issues at the moment...

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 5:50 AM

The listing is here (click "Brochure" for more information).

Old Posted May 6, 2020, 6:21 PM

That's not really a great site, is it? I'd say more than half of it is unbuildable, which means someone will have to build somewhat tall to realize the FAR potential. It's quite isolated too. I'm glad to see he has paying property taxes of about $80k/year though. Hopefully he can't sell it and continues to pay those taxes.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 12:11 AM

Quote:
That's not really a great site, is it? I'd say more than half of it is unbuildable, which means someone will have to build somewhat tall to realize the FAR potential. It's quite isolated too. I'm glad to see he has paying property taxes of about $80k/year though. Hopefully he can't sell it and continues to pay those taxes.
Definitely a tricky site, but I'd love to see something actually get built here. It would really start to eat away at the no-man's land created by the freeway.

Old Posted May 7, 2020, 7:04 AM
A before E

Quote:
It would be a good site for a convention center focused hotel that would offer good views of the city.

Looking more into this with Sondland, I don't have the inside connections to his company that I use to have anymore since everyone I know has left his company, but I was reading that the CEO quit last month which isn't a good sign for that company. I knew Bashar Wali and him leaving is a sign of some rocky times to come with that company. Knowing about their finances during the recession, I can imagine that the company functions on thin profits so that the shareholders can see their profits grow each year.

If they still function like this, then with their hotels barely functioning, that means they are bleeding money with no real capital to offset these losses. I wouldn't be surprised if some of his hotels end up going up for sale as well for cheap in the near future since this is looking like we will be dealing with this virus for a couple years at least.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 6:40 PM

Quote:
...there was an interesting article in the New York Times yesterday about the future of department stores. It's hard to see Macy's emerging from this crisis with as many stores as they had at the start of this year. If they're going to close a Portland area store I imagine that the Lloyd Center location would be the first to go. If that happens, I don't really see how the Lloyd Center survives.
Macy’s Will Close Lloyd Center Flagship Store Amid Pandemic Fallout for Retailers

Already hit by the closure of Nordstrom's, Sears and Marshall's, Lloyd Center is reeling.

By Nigel Jaquiss | Willamette Week
Published 9:37 AM

Macy's, the venerable New York based department store chain, has told state officials it will close its Lloyd Center store, resulting in the layoff of 83 employees.

"The entire plant will close," a Macy's official told the state in a Nov. 17 letter. "Job eliminations are expected to be permanent and are scheduled to occur between January 18, 2021 and January 31, 2021."

...more at WW

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:10 PM

Location: Portland (part-time); warm foreign countries (part-time)
Quote:
Originally Posted by tworivers View Post
Macy’s Will Close Lloyd Center Flagship Store Amid Pandemic Fallout for Retailers

Already hit by the closure of Nordstrom's, Sears and Marshall's, Lloyd Center is reeling.

By Nigel Jaquiss | Willamette Week
Published 9:37 AM

Macy's, the venerable New York based department store chain, has told state officials it will close its Lloyd Center store, resulting in the layoff of 83 employees.

"The entire plant will close," a Macy's official told the state in a Nov. 17 letter. "Job eliminations are expected to be permanent and are scheduled to occur between January 18, 2021 and January 31, 2021."

...more at WW

Sorry for repeating myself, but assuming no baseball park ends up on the Lloyd site, I hope for complete demolition of the outdated and labyrinthine mall structures and redevelopment with extension of the 200 foot block /street grid through the mega-blocks to encourage the pedestrian scale that has made the central city of Portland so walkable and active.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 7:48 PM

It’s hard to see how the Lloyd Center survives this. Leases in malls are typically on a co-tenancy basis, which means that smaller retailers pay significantly reduced rents when the anchor stores are vacant. With no anchors left, there’ll probably be barely any rent coming in.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2020, 8:22 PM

Quote:
It’s hard to see how the Lloyd Center survives this. Leases in malls are typically on a co-tenancy basis, which means that smaller retailers pay significantly reduced rents when the anchor stores are vacant. With no anchors left, there’ll probably be barely any rent coming in.
Definitely sad to see with all of the history the Lloyd Center has. Has anyone heard any updates on the LiveNation development at Lloyd Center? I believe it was supposed to be a House of Blues. I wonder if that is still in the works.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Pacific West > Portland > Downtown & City of Portland