HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:30 AM

I've wondered that a bit myself. Couple of (speculative) reasons I can think of:
- Maybe there is no off-the-shelf design that has joined cars and otherwise fits the city's design requirements

- In the event of a collision serious enough that a damaged car cannot drive itself back to the maintenance yard (rare, but has happened), it is far simpler to decouple the cars than to deconstruct them.

Emphasis on "speculation"

Last edited by CrossedTheTracks; Dec 13, 2017 at 5:16 AM. Reason: grammar

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:30 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 6:56 PM.

Old Posted Dec 13, 2017, 3:31 AM
YouTube Creator

[Deleted]

Last edited by Reecemartin; Nov 17, 2020 at 6:55 PM.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 7:50 PM

Is the S200 order fully delivered? Anectodally, there seems to be a lot more 4-car trains these days; even the U2's seem to be 4-car more frequently than 3-car. Also curious how many original U2's were retired.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2018, 8:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CrossedTheTracks View Post
Is the S200 order fully delivered? Anectodally, there seems to be a lot more 4-car trains these days; even the U2's seem to be 4-car more frequently than 3-car. Also curious how many original U2's were retired.
Not even close - probably close to halfway. I'm sure there's a large backlog in Alyth and Sacramento, but there's been so many problems, Transit isn't accepting more until problems are fixed.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2018, 6:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CTrainDude View Post
Not even close - probably close to halfway. I'm sure there's a large backlog in Alyth and Sacramento, but there's been so many problems, Transit isn't accepting more until problems are fixed.
Where's the publicity on this? Toronto's streetcar procurement problems make national news daily.

Old Posted Feb 10, 2018, 11:52 PM
恭喜发财!

Quote:
Originally Posted by MasterG View Post
Where's the publicity on this? Toronto's streetcar procurement problems make national news daily.
I think Toronto's problems make national news because it's Bombardier having the problems. There's not as much of a story when it's a foreign manufacturer like Siemens.

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 8:01 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
I think Toronto's problems make national news because it's Bombardier having the problems. There's not as much of a story when it's a foreign manufacturer like Siemens.
There's probably an element of truth to that. It seems to be a Canadian thing to kick our industries when they are down.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 12, 2018, 9:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Chemist View Post
It's also hitting Toronto in an operational way much more obviously than in Calgary -- e.g., having to supplement streetcar routes (that are supposed to have Flexity's) with bus runs in an inadequate attempt to keep up with demand.

I'm sure the Calgary Transit mechanics are grumbling under their breath about the U2's that deserve to be retired, but it's generally not affecting passengers the way it is in Toronto.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure