HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 4:05 AM
IMHO

I don't know where to post this, but doesn't it seem weird that on the same day we hear about the Alderman proposing increased speeds on the bike paths we hear about decreasing speeds on the side streets? Makes me wonder if there is a conspiracy to equalize the speeds between cars and bicycles so that they truly can 'share the road'.

Speed limits exist because people are too stupid to pick safe speeds to drive themselves. Just like 50km/hr is too fast on a narrow side street with blind corners, 20km/hr is too fast when pedaling past Prince's Island with pedestrians walking every which way during the day.

Frankly, I think the whole discussion on the city's part is a waste of time, as enforcement outside of the downtown river pathways is non-existent.

I'd leave what enforcement there is camped in heavy usage areas, and nail people who are cycling unsafely. That means passing too close, too fast, with too little warning. I'm tired not of speeding, but of speeding in areas where you should be going much slower than 20 km/hr - but some people think that getting a workout and beating their personal best time to work outweighs the safety of others on the pathways, clueless or otherwise.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 5:09 PM

Ah, the Bike Salmon...

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ferreth View Post
I'd leave what enforcement there is camped in heavy usage areas, and nail people who are cycling unsafely. That means passing too close, too fast, with too little warning. I'm tired not of speeding, but of speeding in areas where you should be going much slower than 20 km/hr - but some people think that getting a workout and beating their personal best time to work outweighs the safety of others on the pathways, clueless or otherwise.
The thing that annoys me the most is the bike salmon, where guys will go down the wrong side of the path (even approaching corners) or on a street. These jerks (among other reckless riders) give us all a bad name.

Actually witnessed the aftermath of a slamon who rode down the oppsosite lane through the corners on Edworthy road one morning and smoked a car head first. The poor drover was terribly shaken up, the front end and windshield was a mess and the rider (removed from scene just before I rode by) was incredibly lucky to receive minor injuries.

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 5:48 PM
Suburban dweller

Location: Calgary - our road planners are as bad as yours Edmonton
Quote:
Originally Posted by glam View Post
The thing that annoys me the most is the bike salmon, where guys will go down the wrong side of the path (even approaching corners) or on a street. These jerks (among other reckless riders) give us all a bad name.

Actually witnessed the aftermath of a slamon who rode down the oppsosite lane through the corners on Edworthy road one morning and smoked a car head first. The poor drover was terribly shaken up, the front end and windshield was a mess and the rider (removed from scene just before I rode by) was incredibly lucky to receive minor injuries.
I prefer Coho myself.

Albert Einstein

Old Posted Feb 19, 2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lubicon View Post
I prefer Coho myself.
Bike salmon are a little chewy - like rubber.

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 3:10 PM

Old Posted Apr 5, 2010, 3:32 PM

Perfect.

I notice that 26 Ave SW between Crowchild Tr. and 37 St. has a freshly painted bicycle lane.

It's not as pretty as the one in the UK though.

s.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 2:59 AM
Round Head

City's decided to undertake a new cycling strategy, including plans for on-street bike lanes.

Wouldn't it be nice if more urban streets in Calgary looked and functioned like this?

Luton at Flickr
http://www.flickr.com/photos/luton/t...kelanes/page7/

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 3:30 AM

Nevermind.

Last edited by frinkprof; May 22, 2010 at 6:56 AM.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 3:33 AM
The City That Moves

I definitely think a cycling infrastructure strategy needs to be developed that addresses cycling connectivity. I would bet there are 1000's of bylaw infractions daily of bikes driving on sidewalks in the business core, like this one here ( http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...314.28,,2,7.58 ).

There is also speeding that happens on the pathways due to low speed limits required for heavy pedestrian traffic areas. What I think would drastically improve bicycling downtown is if there were several north/south bike routes as well as west/east bike routes.

Many bikers feel that safety risk for them is greater on the roads (fatality) versus on the pedestrian sidewalk (broken bones). Cyclists are willing to suck up a fine and a potential civil suit instead of being killed in a catastrophic vehicular accident.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 4:19 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wooster View Post
City's decided to undertake a new cycling strategy, including plans for on-street bike lanes.

Wouldn't it be nice if more urban streets in Calgary looked and functioned like this?

Luton at Flickr
Not sure if I saw this posted here, but this is what happens when you build correct bike lanes: Utrecht Bicycle Rush Hour. The video is absolutely amazing if you haven't seen Dutch bicycle traffic before.

And don't say this can't happen here because it gets too cold and snowy: just check out the third related video after the video is over. Same amount of traffic in the snow.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 4:32 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mr.steevo View Post
Perfect.

I notice that 26 Ave SW between Crowchild Tr. and 37 St. has a freshly painted bicycle lane.

It's not as pretty as the one in the UK though.

s.
Yep, it's a great idea.

This way cycle traffic heading downtown is funneled down 26th just in time for it to cross Crowchild where there is non-stop on street parking with no room left for the cyclists. And it's a bus route.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 5:22 PM
Round Head

Didn't know the City had these:

Park n' Bike

Park 'N' Bike sites are a healthy, hassle free way to get to work
It's 7 a.m.

With a coffee in one hand and work folders in the other you struggle to unlock the car door. Once inside, you ignite the engine and pull in behind a line-up of traffic exiting your community.

A few kilometres later, you spill coffee on your newly pressed trousers, and curse when the gas light goes on at a red light.

Arriving downtown, you circle the block looking for parking. Finding a spot, you throw the car in park, gather your folders, keys and coffee mug and scramble across the street to the office.

Does this scenario sound familiar? Want to know how to make mornings less stressful?

Avoid the hustle and bustle – Ride your bike to work
The City's Park 'N' Bike sites let you park your car for free so you can ride your bike the rest of the way into downtown; avoiding parking fees and traffic while getting some exercise. There are seven Park 'N' Bike sites in different quadrants of the city that offer:
  • access to Calgary's river pathways and on-street bikeways
  • a quiet route to work
  • connections from major roads
  • free parking

Park 'N' Bike sites are ideal for those who live far from downtown, whether you walk, cycle, skate, board or jog. With over 1,000 kilometres of pathways and bikeways, getting around Calgary has never been easier. Plan your route using the interactive Pathways and Bikeways map.

Why ride your bike to work?
Cycling to work means you won't have to pay for parking or deal with morning traffic. There are many reasons to cycle to work instead of taking your car. Cycling
  • is a healthy, fun and sustainable travel choice
  • encourages a liveable city
  • reduces vehicle traffic, air and noise pollution
  • saves money on fuel and vehicle maintenance
  • consumes fewer non-renewable resources

Park 'N' Bike sites are located 5 – 8 kilometres from downtown, so you don't have to be training for the Tour de France to use them. Plan your next trip into the office using the Interactive Pathways and Bikeways Map.

http://www.calgary.ca/portal/server....k+and+Bike.htm

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 7:30 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

I saw a lot of people using these when I used to bike from Varsity to the Downtown. There is one just down home road adjacent to the river and another just across the CPR tracks from Edworthy Park. Whenever I rode past them, I was like "Damn, they can just drive home now, while I still have to tackle this ridiculous hill!"

I can tell you they are well used in summer.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 7:51 PM
Round Head

Are there bike lockers there for people to store bikes, or do people have to take their bikes home with them in the car?

It would be a great place to start bike-sharing services. Don't even need to own a bike then to use it.

Old Posted May 20, 2010, 9:12 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Quote:
Are there bike lockers there for people to store bikes, or do people have to take their bikes home with them in the car?

It would be a great place to start bike-sharing services. Don't even need to own a bike then to use it.
No lockers there, people have to put them on their bike racks on their car or in their trunks. And I agree about the bike share. I never thought about that, but it would be an ideal location! I think a bike share would work well in certain areas of Calgary.

I remember in Barcelona the annual cost is 30 euros (you have to be a resident though). Absolutely incredible!

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 12:37 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:

Luton at Flickr
How exactly is it cycling-friendly to force cyclists to diverge sharply at a splitter island and yield to entering traffic rather than the other way around?

Old Posted May 21, 2010, 6:12 PM
effete latte-lifter

^^Dude, seriously? You've just discounted what is obvious to anyone a pretty awesome system of Bike lanes on pedestrian friendly seats based on one circumstance, in one photo? Also there isn't an indication the cyclists have to yield to traffic in this case, (there is no sign) but the pedestrian crossing 10 fucking feet to the let would lead be to believe the car has a yield sign just out of sight. As for the so called "sharp diversion," bikes have been equipped with steering pretty much from their invention.

By the way, where is this?

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 3:28 AM

(No message to see here)

Last edited by Wentworth; May 22, 2010 at 2:14 PM.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 4:11 AM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeffwhit View Post
^^Dude, seriously? You've just discounted what is obvious to anyone a pretty awesome system of Bike lanes on pedestrian friendly seats based on one circumstance, in one photo?
I haven't discounted a system. This just seems like an odd choice of photo to promote it.

Quote:
Also there isn't an indication the cyclists have to yield to traffic in this case, (there is no sign)
There's a stop line about one bicycle length ahead of the first cyclist.

Quote:
but the pedestrian crossing 10 fucking feet to the let would lead be to believe the car has a yield sign just out of sight. As for the so called "sharp diversion," bikes have been equipped with steering pretty much from their invention.
You're still going to have to slow down to about ~10 km/h to navigate this. What's more is that the re-entry point is too far up the bend (near the pedestrian crossing) rather than somewhere more natural like near the tree and bicycle stencil at left.

Quote:
By the way, where is this?
In Portland:

http://maps.google.ca/maps?f=q&sourc...239.35,,0,5.09

You can also see that the stop line has been changed to a tooth line with a yield sign.

Old Posted May 22, 2010, 7:32 AM
effete latte-lifter

^^Yeah, sorry, I was being a dick.

Could it be though, that that was the only demonstrative photo available to him?

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure