HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Oct 9, 2017, 11:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by People.talking View Post
Since this is a fanasty thread,how bout some street cars in the belt line and 17th ave
I didn't include it in my map, but I do think a streetcar that runs down 17th Avenue to Marda Loop and MRU would make a lot of sense. That corridor could use heavier transit than just a bus line but it's also too short to justify building an entire LRT line for just 4 or 5 stops.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 10:45 PM
My Spoon Is Too Big

I'd love to see a streetcar or bus route that did the whole circuit of Kensington/Bridgeland/Inglewood/Stephen Ave/4th St/17th Ave/Marda Loop

Old Posted Oct 10, 2017, 11:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DizzyEdge View Post
I'd love to see a streetcar or bus route that did the whole circuit of Kensington/Bridgeland/Inglewood/Stephen Ave/4th St/17th Ave/Marda Loop
Maybe go a bit further, something like this?

Impossible, we could never have something like that in Calgary!

Old Posted Aug 23, 2018, 6:56 AM
Sex Marxist of Notleygrad

The sad thing about every major community across Canada is that we like the Americans HAD major streetcar/LRT networks even in smaller regional communities and we let the Automotive/Petroleum coalition sweep in and destroy everything that was built over several generations... To even replace a portion of the network would probably be staggering.

Having said that, I'd love to see a study of exactly that. How much would it cost to rebuild every streetcar network destroyed and then how much it would cost to expand it to where it should be now for a city of its size.

At least there are now a plethora of options on how to do this more cost effectively... I present a few ideas for y'all to discuss...

01-Bombardier Primove trams https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Hexi_trams

These streetcars run at up to 50 km/h without wires and charge in 10 second bursts at station stops whilst picking up passengers. They can also be equipped with Primove technology that allows buried induction drawn power which like a stove is super safe since even if someone fell onto the induction charger while power nothing would happen unless they were wearing a metal ring or bracelet that conducts electricity WHILE being under the train which is physically impossible...

02-Autonomous Rail Rapid Transit
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autono..._Rapid_Transit

Basically the Montreal subway come unhinged aka an LRT train that runs on rubber tyres like a bus but follows a dedicated track. In Montreal's case? A physical guide-rail. In this new tech? A painted magnetic stripe that is used by dumb robots in factories around the world like Tesla in Fremont and what GM thought all cars in the future would use to drive themselves on future highways in the year 2000. From what I can tell all the Chinese did was bundle a bunch of dead tech together and create a winning formula that I guarantee will see widespread adoption around the world in the next 10 years.

If you can replicate SUBWAY-like efficiencies at developing-world bus prices, that's a winning formula for many a city... A jacked version of Curitiba BRT if you will...

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 8:01 PM

If they can solve the guided busway problem—too even wear—it could be a winner.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 9:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Maybe go a bit further, something like this?

Impossible, we could never have something like that in Calgary!

YOU do know that's THE REAL map from the 1945 original streetcar network RIGHT?

NOTHING IS IMPOSSIBLE, SIR!

1946 for example...

Even the trolley bus network was as extensive as that...

This was it at phase out...

Even that system probably add's up to 50 KM+

Old Posted Aug 24, 2018, 11:26 PM

Yeah that was what I was getting at...

Old Posted Aug 25, 2018, 9:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by milomilo View Post
Yeah that was what I was getting at...
Just checking. You'd be surprised how dangerously ignorant people are these days. You don't even need to read a newspaper or turn on a TV for proof.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure