HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 2:58 AM

Maybe I'm getting carried away, but... something like this once it's connected to the rest of the system:

Potential BRT or trams or streetcars:
-17th Ave SE
-14th St SW
-Richmond Road/33rd Ave SW

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 4:27 AM
Retrofit Urbanist

See my network plan here:

I have the BRT going from Westbrook, down 37th to MRU, then using 50th and then Glenmore to 14th (for Rockyview) and then Heritage all the way to Glenmore again.

IMO, missing Rockyview Hospital is a huge oversight. It is half of the point of the route (the other being MRU). There is almost no point for the route other than to hit those two destinations (at least west of Macleod).

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 5:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fusili View Post
See my network plan here:

I have the BRT going from Westbrook, down 37th to MRU, then using 50th and then Glenmore to 14th (for Rockyview) and then Heritage all the way to Glenmore again.

IMO, missing Rockyview Hospital is a huge oversight. It is half of the point of the route (the other being MRU). There is almost no point for the route other than to hit those two destinations (at least west of Macleod).
Yeah, Rockyview is a must but I also think it is very important to try to cross the river and hit Foothills and the UofC. They are basically super sized versions of Rockyview and MRU.

It will also likely be very important in 50 years (with a CMA that could be pushing 3 million) to have effective ways of moving people around the city to these secondary nodes without directing them through a downtown hub that could be very overburdened.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 5:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bassic Lab View Post
Yeah, Rockyview is a must but I also think it is very important to try to cross the river and hit Foothills and the UofC. They are basically super sized versions of Rockyview and MRU.

It will also likely be very important in 50 years (with a CMA that could be pushing 3 million) to have effective ways of moving people around the city to these secondary nodes without directing them through a downtown hub that could be very overburdened.
I completely agree with regards to hitting Foothills and UofC. I also believe Chinook has for better or worse become one of the centre points of our city and a missing it you'd force a lot of people to backtrack for their transfer. In my opinion, a separated east-west ROW at Chinook would really spur urbanization of this TOD while allowing quick passage through this congested part of the city.

On the other hand, I like Heritage for a shared-with-traffic BRT because it avoids road congestion near Chinook, brings the station closer to Rockyview, and serves Heritage Park.

How about extending that little streetcar at HP to Rockyview, Heritage Station, Farmer's Market, and Deerfoot meadows?

Old Posted Mar 13, 2012, 7:47 PM
Retrofit Urbanist

Sorry about the huge image post.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure