HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 1:57 PM

Besides Work and Kids: How are you passing the time?

This thread is exactly what it sounds like. How are you guys passing the time? Personally I have been watching more movies and television on Amazon Prime. What are you guys doing?

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 2:04 PM
I ♣ Baby Seals

In no particular order: drinking, eating, gaming, cleaning, hiking, running, sleeping.

Actually, that probably is in an appropriate order.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 2:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post
In no particular order: drinking, eating, gaming, cleaning, hiking, running, sleeping.

. I have been taking a lot of walks around the city so I don’t feel like shit 24/7. Sleeping is a given for me as I have been doing way more of it and some days I treat myself to a burger from the local A&W (which is doing takeout).

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 2:11 PM

Netflix. Tons of Netflix.

I’ve been going on drives too, checking out areas of the province I’ve never been to. The low traffic right now makes it much easier to do. It’s a shame I can’t go check out areas of upstate New York right now.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 2:13 PM

Walking, reading, studying Portuguese, practising calligraphy. Thinking of baking a cherry cake this afternoon. Looking forward to a bit of gardening, maybe this coming week if the weather finally cooperates.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Walking, reading, studying Portuguese, practising calligraphy. Thinking of baking a cherry cake this afternoon. Looking forward to a bit of gardening, maybe this coming week if the weather finally cooperates.
Speaking of the weather, what was up with the snow yesterday. Peak climate change. Although the weather has been shitty in other ways.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 2:36 PM
Midtowner since 2K

I've been geocaching pretty regularly more of less for over two years....so that hobby helps pass time, although I usually only go geocache hunting at night, where I go anywhere from 10-30+km, sometimes into Markham like I will tomorrow night.
Just making art regularly enough....playing videogames with my friends over a audio service. I can but never use Netflix....I do want to finish Breaking Bad someday, but simply enough, I just feel like maybe seeing the rest of it some other time.
Also watching some movies occasionally.

I was drinking more heavily more the first month after I was let go from work, but I'm now trying to stay sober for a few weeks...probably two or three months I'll try for. I started less than three weeks ago, it's not hard at all for me, since I don't exactly like beer, and mostly have alcohol in a social setting...drinking alone is not something I enjoy doing, unless it makes a situation more "fun"...albeit I do take this very circumstantially and VERY rarely.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 2:37 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Lot's of Youtube on my Google Chromecast, and a new subscription to Disney+

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 3:18 PM

I watched Jerry Seinfeld’s new stand-up special that appeared on Netflix this past week. (It was taped last November and the first part of his monologue has aged extremely well.)

I’ve been going outside to walk almost daily, weather permitting. Where I’m temporarily living there’s a lot of trails nearby that don’t get crowds, and this week a provincial park only 10 minutes away will reopen for day use so I’ll probably head there soon too. Last weekend I took a couple of drives in the countryside surrounding London, and I did a shorter one yesterday.

Outside of work I’ve been otherwise extremely bored. On the plus side, I’ve been drinking less.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 3:39 PM
BANNED

Teaching myself python, learning french, hiking, dieting, many hours spent in VR, I've honestly never been busier. In a few weeks we're moving out to the family land to start work on a cabin/summer garden.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 3:56 PM

I probably put in about half of a regular work week in terms of hours.

Working out in my dad's home gym for like 2 hours a day. Might as well take an opportunity to come out of this in the summer in better shape than I've been since university. Going back and reading some classic novels I've missed. Gone through Steinbeck already with East of Eden and Grapes of Wraith. Starting Don Quixote right now. Next is either Ulysses or Crime and Punishment. Playing the new Call of Duty online with friends for the first time since high school.

Also been putting out some feelers with my friends about pooling some capital for a a residential rental project when this is done. Something like a triplex with the opportunity for a modest property improvement plan. Going to be keeping a close eye on what the market looks like when this is done. If Toronto becomes more reasonable, would love to look at an opportunity here. Otherwise maybe KW or Guelph.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 4:11 PM
The Vomit Bag.

COVID was one reason I decided to start posting again on SSP, after a year-long hiatus.

Lots of work from my basement office. Homeschooling my children.
Working on the yard, got the pool opened.
Long walks, usually twice a day, rain or shine [or snow!!] (alone, with my wife, and with my kids). Working out. I am cooking way more than usual (a passion of mine that I found myself bereft of time for), and watching a lot of movies/series on Netflix.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 4:19 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by SignalHillHiker View Post

If you or anyone you know has a playstation, you can get Farm Simulator 19 for free. Its better than crack coccaine. You can even get mods so you can farm on ocean side properties.

Otherwise get a VR headset and play some firewall zerohour.

I cannot understate how much VR is replacing my need to socialize with people beyond my direct family. There's a bizarre form of intamacy that comes from being so detached from your immediate surroundings and so deeply entrenched in the literal breathing patterns of another human.(FYI body noises being picked up by the mic is the worst/best part of VR).

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 4:51 PM

Work out more. I'm probably one of the few folks who will come back from quarantine lighter....

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:06 PM
sick transit, gloria

I’m working full time, just from home, so I don’t have quite the amount of free time some do. But Fridays and Saturdays are certainly different. I’m going on multiple walks a day, cycling now that it’s (maybe) warming up, doing body workouts, and also drinking a bit more. Great Lakes Brewery deliveries are a weekly thing these days - split with our upstairs neighbours though! Also having some backyard drinks with said neighbours as well as friends who live in Parkdale and walk up.

Started a new RPG on my Switch but don’t have the time to devote I had anticipated. My wife got me a Kobo for my birthday shortly before this started and I am actually reading a lot more, which is good.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MolsonExport View Post
COVID was one reason I decided to start posting again on SSP, after a year-long hiatus.

Lots of work from my basement office. Homeschooling my children.
Working on the yard, got the pool opened.
Long walks, usually twice a day, rain or shine [or snow!!] (alone, with my wife, and with my kids). Working out. I am cooking way more than usual (a passion of mine that I found myself bereft of time for), and watching a lot of movies/series on Netflix.
Yes, I noticed your hiatus, good to have you back! I cooked way less before COVID as well. I recently have been making meatloaf (I know, I know but it can be good!).

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:30 PM

Maybe we need a thread to exchange lockdown recipes ...

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kwoldtimer View Post
Maybe we need a thread to exchange lockdown recipes ...
Yes. I also make a mean chilli and quiche. And everyone’s cooking anyway. I wonder how this will impact the chain restaurant industry, it doesn’t look like it’s going to turn out so well for them.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:40 PM

Spending a lot more time out on the deck in the sun so my tan is a full month early lol.
All messages into my work come through to the phone so can just stay at home and go to work on call. Lots of beer and smoke consumption while watching the eagles and ospreys fly by.

Old Posted May 10, 2020, 5:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denscity View Post
Spending a lot more time out on the deck in the sun so my tan is a full month early lol.
All messages into my work come through to the phone so can just stay at home and go to work on call. Lots of beer and smoke consumption while watching the eagles and ospreys fly by.
Most of my work involves Zoom. I am a bit Zoomed out to be honest, wish I could see people’s faces in real life again .

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada