HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 1:23 AM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
I wonder if (when?) these programs will produce a local player for the team (assuming they are around in 5 years).
Usually developmental tools like this take 10-15 years to develop players on their own as it's better to develop a player starting from a younger age than starting to develop one when they're older. Usually sport development cycles need a decade or so to provide direct export benefit.

Quote:
Originally Posted by craneSpotter View Post
I assume all other clubs are doing the same?
AFAIK Pacific have been the most active with local associations.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2020, 2:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by esquire View Post
I wonder why the Riders don't try to land a team in Regina seeing that they've got the facility for it?
To be honest, if Regina were to ever get a team, I really hope they wouldn't play at Mosaic. With the smaller crowd, the atmosphere would not be good. IMO, with some expanded seating, Liebel field would be ideal.

Old Posted Mar 8, 2020, 11:46 PM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by JHikka View Post
Usually developmental tools like this take 10-15 years to develop players on their own as it's better to develop a player starting from a younger age than starting to develop one when they're older. Usually sport development cycles need a decade or so to provide direct export benefit.
Yeah, 10 years makes sense. The PFC have also taken over (assisting with) development the BC Soccer Premier League (U14+) local teams - I understand. It will be great to see some results.

Meanwhile - I picked some of this today, by Russell brewing - hope it's good!

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 2:14 AM

It will taste good the first time because of the branding. At least that's what your brain and taste buds will be telling you. After that it will be like any other beer.

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 2:29 AM
is watching.

Quote:
Originally Posted by megadude View Post
It will taste good the first time because of the branding. At least that's what your brain and taste buds will be telling you. After that it will be like any other beer.
I actually bought it because it was 11.49 for a six - hoping I’d really like it - But its just ok

Old Posted Mar 9, 2020, 3:04 AM

That's a good price. Last week I bought a single Coors Light can because of the old school raptors theme on it. I enhanced the experience by wearing the old school Mitchell and Ness raptors t-shirt I got from Winners the previous week.

Old Posted May 12, 2020, 2:21 PM
ハルウララ

https://canpl.ca/article/york9-fcs-e...e-ado-den-haag

York9 have sold Estevez to Eredivisie club ADO Den Haag for a rumoured $150K.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 4:13 PM
ハルウララ

Valour financials are out via the Blue Bombers annual report:

Revenues: $2.8M
Expenses: $3.0M
Revenue over expenses: ($211K)

Was expecting losses higher than this so it's a pretty good result, IMO. Teams were expected to lose money for first five seasons or so. If I had to guess i'd say Valour would be in the middle of CPL teams financially, with three doing better financially in year one (HFX, Calgary, Forge) with three below (Pacific, EDM, Y9). Some teams, like Pacific, were investing heavily in stadium infrastructure which was an expense Valour did not need to undertake.

Old Posted May 15, 2020, 7:21 PM

Quote:
Valour financials are out via the Blue Bombers annual report:

Revenues: $2.8M
Expenses: $3.0M
Revenue over expenses: ($211K)

Was expecting losses higher than this so it's a pretty good result, IMO. Teams were expected to lose money for first five seasons or so. If I had to guess i'd say Valour would be in the middle of CPL teams financially, with three doing better financially in year one (HFX, Calgary, Forge) with three below (Pacific, EDM, Y9). Some teams, like Pacific, were investing heavily in stadium infrastructure which was an expense Valour did not need to undertake.
They lost money so I guess the business model doesn't work.

Old Posted May 26, 2020, 3:24 PM

The Canadian men's national team will certainly be another great beneficiary of the flourishing new league. The CPL will not only inspire a new generation of players, but also provide a first-class environment to develop their skills and to get on-field experience. To pay special attention to the development of domestic and young players will definitely help to produce and grow the suitable player base for the Canadian men's national team. This approach is expected to have positive results in the upcoming international competitions, and the CSA’s men's national team is especially looking forward to having an impactful performance “at home” in 2026.

In summary, the league expected there to be challenges in its first year of operation. However, a solid foundation has been established from which to build upon in 2020 and beyond. Here to stay, the Canadian Premier League, and of course the 2026 FIFA World Cup, will definitely help to further establish Canada as a football nation

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 5:36 PM

CPL announces 2020 season to take place on PEI beginning August 13th. All 8 teams play each other once with the top 4 advancing to the 'group stage' where they again play each other once, with the top 2 advancing to the one game championship final. All games on One Soccer.

https://canpl.ca/theislandgames

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 7:57 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Big win for PEI.

I just read the CBC article. I guess Moncton and Langford BC were also in the running.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 9:09 PM
ハルウララ

Heard that Langford and PEI were the considerations for the last few months. First i've heard of Moncton having been considered.

IIRC CPL hasn't received the $15M they requested from the feds but PEI is chipping in some money to host.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2020, 10:09 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
IIRC CPL hasn't received the $15M they requested from the feds but PEI is chipping in some money to host.
Well, if the feds can cough up $15M for the CPL, surely they can pony up something for the CFL too...…….

Old Posted Aug 19, 2020, 3:04 AM
ハルウララ

A couple of CPL games are currently scheduled for broadcast on FS2 in the US. More matches to be announced tomorrow by FOX and the CPL, as reported by Ian Thomas on twitter.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2020, 1:07 PM

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 4:18 AM

I was able to watch a bit of Forge vs Pacifico. It was near the end of the game and play was getting sloppy, mainly due to Forge getting the go ahead goal and Pacifico pulling out all stops to get the equalizer. That being said, the play was "heavy" with a lot of body checking out there. I almost thought it was a hockey game!

The biggest thing I noticed is that there is no rolling about holding on to a non existent injury like I see in some of the European Leagues.

I enjoyed the match and wish all the best for the CPL in 2021. Hopefully at squad is established in Regina to be able to use the lovely stadium there.

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 3:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by VANRIDERFAN View Post
I was able to watch a bit of Forge vs Pacifico. It was near the end of the game and play was getting sloppy, mainly due to Forge getting the go ahead goal and Pacifico pulling out all stops to get the equalizer. That being said, the play was "heavy" with a lot of body checking out there. I almost thought it was a hockey game!

The biggest thing I noticed is that there is no rolling about holding on to a non existent injury like I see in some of the European Leagues.

I enjoyed the match and wish all the best for the CPL in 2021. Hopefully at squad is established in Regina to be able to use the lovely stadium there.
I'd love a team in Regina but can't helping thinking that Mosaic would be such overkill and make for a terrible atmosphere. I'd love an expansion of Liebel field to maybe 5-7k and for them to play there.

That said, weren't there rumours of Saskatoon getting a team?

Old Posted Sep 14, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yveseluj View Post
I'd love a team in Regina but can't helping thinking that Mosaic would be such overkill and make for a terrible atmosphere. I'd love an expansion of Liebel field to maybe 5-7k and for them to play there.

That said, weren't there rumours of Saskatoon getting a team?
New Mosaic needs to be used.

It would be great if there would be a rivalry between Saskatoon and Regina.

Liebel would be great though if the CFL is able to get back up and running.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2020, 12:16 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada