HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

740 North Rush in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 3:30 PM

That is ugly...Looks like a closet storage rack. Reilly will probably approve it now

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 3:30 PM
THAT Guy

While height is always nice, it won't make a difference in this location. The design looks terrible and something out of the 90's (is this SBC?). And if the addresses are correct in Reilly's newsletter, this means they are not only demolishing the nice lowrises on Wabash, but the mid-block building on Superior as well as Giordano's (or is that part being kept)? Not acceptable. I hope this one dies quickly.

And by Reilly's definition, this is a way more "ambitious" (to use his words) program compared to the hotel he killed a year or two ago.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 4:16 PM
NYC/NJ/Miami-Dade

Quote:
Originally Posted by spyguy View Post
While height is always nice, it won't make a difference in this location. The design looks terrible and something out of the 90's (is this SBC?).
I'm not a fan of the design. Maybe we just need to see other renderings at certain agles to get a better idea, but right now, it's not stellar, but mediocre.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 4:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris08876 View Post
I'm not a fan of the design. Maybe we just need to see other renderings at certain agles to get a better idea, but right now, it's not stellar, but mediocre.
I agree, the rendering is what is most ridiculous, you cant see the street level interaction, or a proper angle of the crown. All this rendering displays is the basic shaft of the tower..

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 5:03 PM

Height = Good, Design = Sucks (based on the one rendering), ..also why destroy nice lowrise buildings when there are plenty of parking lots in the area or less then desirable lowrises to take down?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 5:27 PM

Not sure, but maybe someone can take a closer look. Are they attempting to line the base with the old facades along superior or did they just forget to photoshop them out? Look closely and you'll see the side profile of one of the buildings.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 5:59 PM
The City

I might be turning NIMBY as I age here, but if another out of town developer is just going to try to plop down a tower on a blank podium, collect their returns, and scram, then we have a problem. We might as well put this screwed up Aldermanic prerogative system to some sort of good use by extracting some good concessions here.

Now I know that the usual fuckface brigade will be out there whining about parking and congestion, but if they can be ignored, some sound design changes should be pursued. Any project that has 8 floors of blank podium simply must be declared unacceptable from the get go.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 6:07 PM

Reilly has also perpetually blocked the redevelopment of the hardware store lot at Grand and Orleans. Apparently he didn't get his required campaign donation from the developer and instead pandered to the NiMBYS whose views would be blocked.

This building should be approved with minimal above ground parking, active uses for the podium like retail, offices, or condo units, and as few curb cuts as possible.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 6:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hayward View Post
Not sure, but maybe someone can take a closer look. Are they attempting to line the base with the old facades along superior or did they just forget to photoshop them out? Look closely and you'll see the side profile of one of the buildings.
No old facades somebody just f'd up using photoshop. If you look closely you can see somebody forgot to crop a vertical strip off on the bottom right side of the building.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by k1052 View Post
Liner units should be a basic requirement at this point.
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "liner unit".

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 7:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
I might be turning NIMBY as I age here, but if another out of town developer is just going to try to plop down a tower on a blank podium, collect their returns, and scram, then we have a problem. We might as well put this screwed up Aldermanic prerogative system to some sort of good use by extracting some good concessions here.

Now I know that the usual fuckface brigade will be out there whining about parking and congestion, but if they can be ignored, some sound design changes should be pursued. Any project that has 8 floors of blank podium simply must be declared unacceptable from the get go.
The previous design was far superior as it had no parking and preserved 1 structural bay of depth on the existing 740 N Rush building, so different than a standard facadectomy.

The auto-centric minded people who also complain about traffic are the ones demanding these projects have more parking, and thus the proposal comes back with a podium. As BVictor mentioned, Reilly's office usually sees these proposals first and often forces changes before they are "ready for community input".

I'm betting coming back with a parking component and arguing including it drove up the cost is why we have a larger design on the table now.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 8:07 PM

Are we sure that the podium is blank? To me it looks like there are large windows on it, but it's hard to tell due to the quality of that part of the rendering. Overall though I think I like it? Certainly better than all of the beige schlock surrounding it. I wish the Giordano's building could stay, but I can't say I really care all that much about the other lowrises. I'd say they should shift the tower to the west end of the lot, build the amenity deck on top of the Giordano's building and call it a day.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 8:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rocket49 View Post
Pardon my ignorance, but what is a "liner unit".
He's referring to when the outside of a parking podium is lined with apartments or condos

Old Posted Mar 4, 2017, 8:37 PM

^^^
Thanks. I was guessing that's what a liner unit is but wasn't sure.

Old Posted Mar 5, 2017, 1:19 AM

I'm going to reserve comment until I see street level renderings. But this doesn't look hopeful.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 3:59 PM

I almost wish they would hand out nametags at Monday's community meeting with everyone's SSP name on it. I bet a lot of us will be there.

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 4:55 PM

That crown is making the Waldorf crown almost look appealing....

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 5:57 PM
you know where I'll be

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chicago Shawn View Post
The previous design was far superior as it had no parking and preserved 1 structural bay of depth on the existing 740 N Rush building, so different than a standard facadectomy.

The auto-centric minded people who also complain about traffic are the ones demanding these projects have more parking, and thus the proposal comes back with a podium. As BVictor mentioned, Reilly's office usually sees these proposals first and often forces changes before they are "ready for community input".

I'm betting coming back with a parking component and arguing including it drove up the cost is why we have a larger design on the table now.

Yes, yes, yes, and yes. The first SOM proposal (exactly how it was, not how it was but with a couple hundred ' extra, to all the weird overly height-obsessed forumers here) was so superior to this design.........in pretty much every way imaginable (and not just this design's ridiculous crown).....

I hope that you're right on the last part, Shawn - but that there's also sufficient blowback against the larger size and they then get the NIMBY's to accept the earlier proposal as-is!.....

Old Posted Mar 6, 2017, 6:37 PM

this is some 80s corporate bullshit look. would rather have the rowhouses than this

Old Posted Mar 7, 2017, 2:45 AM
you know where I'll be

Oh - and how could I forget to also post about this: TIMESHARES!

LOL!!!

Either a dead giveaway that this isn't a real proposal, or the developers are morons.....

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive