HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 4:48 PM

Collective Coffee has opened a 2nd location in.... Pleasant Hill.

https://www.instagram.com/p/BQxoo9TjQ58/

It's located on the main floor of the new medical clinic building across Ave P from St. Paul's Hospital. With all the hospital/clinic related traffic and employees in the area, they should do well.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 7:12 PM

One less restaurant in Saskatoon:

Quote:
Fire department battles two-alarm blaze at Bonanza Steakhouse
http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...za-steak-house

Not many Bonanzas left in operation. Moose Jaw still has theirs, I think the P.A. store is still open and there is one in Pembroke, Ontario. Every time I drove by the 8th Street one, I was surprised it remained open. Curious to see if they will re-build & re-open.

Old Posted Feb 22, 2017, 9:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crisis View Post
One less restaurant in Saskatoon:

http://thestarphoenix.com/news/local...za-steak-house

Not many Bonanzas left in operation. Moose Jaw still has theirs, I think the P.A. store is still open and there is one in Pembroke, Ontario. Every time I drove by the 8th Street one, I was surprised it remained open. Curious to see if they will re-build & re-open.
I didn't realize there was still a Bonanza in Saskatoon! My grandpa loved Bonanza. When there we were kids and there was one in Regina he would take us there for supper. I remember loving it, but I wasn't very old when they closed so who knows. Might've just been that I liked going places with him. My sister and I were thinking about trying it on a trip to MJ, for memories' sake.

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 3:09 AM

Ya'll are getting a Taco Bell.

http://bit.ly/2larIJU

Old Posted Feb 23, 2017, 10:27 PM

Today we announced Extra foods TAYLOR STREET as conversion to No frills.

closing date for extra foods will be April 29th 2017. not sure when the opening date for NF will be, will keep you guys updated.

EF Broadway and Myself ( Canarama ) are remaining EF for 2017.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:00 AM

I'm curious at what point, will No Frills presence in the prairies spur its competitors to bring over their discount formats? In Ontario, it's been going on a good 15-20 years where conventional and discount stores exist.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 3:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by South248 View Post
I'm curious at what point, will No Frills presence in the prairies spur its competitors to bring over their discount formats? In Ontario, it's been going on a good 15-20 years where conventional and discount stores exist.
no they wont. we just had Save on foods come into saskatchewan with 4 stores. theres nothing really else that can come into sk and spur anything.......Stoon/Regina/PA/Moosejaw have enough stores to support the cities, especially us here in saskatoon, we have way too many grocery stores. i think we will remain seeing Sobeys/Save on/Superstore/Coop/Walmart being the big dogs in the fight. nothing else is going to show up and compete. its just too much(IMO) ....MAYBE Metro from out East MIGHT show up...but thats 15yrs minumum and(IF).

and speaking for thee rest of the sk,

Meadow lake, Nipawin, Humboldt, Melville are the remaining towns/cities with EF in them, which are going to NF at some point. NIP/Boldt will be this year i believe, just no timeline. these places generally have the EF as the main dog, and a little COOP/family store setup to be the grab and go place. i highly doubt any competitor will run into those little places.

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 4:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
no they wont. we just had Save on foods come into saskatchewan with 4 stores. theres nothing really else that can come into sk and spur anything.......Stoon/Regina/PA/Moosejaw have enough stores to support the cities, especially us here in saskatoon, we have way too many grocery stores. i think we will remain seeing Sobeys/Save on/Superstore/Coop/Walmart being the big dogs in the fight. nothing else is going to show up and compete. its just too much(IMO) ....MAYBE Metro from out East MIGHT show up...but thats 15yrs minumum and(IF).

Meadow lake, Nipawin, Humboldt, Melville are the remaining towns/cities with EF in them, which are going to NF at some point. NIP/Boldt will be this year i believe, just no timeline. these places generally have the EF as the main dog, and a little COOP/family store setup to be the grab and go place. i highly doubt any competitor will run into those little places.
What would be a neat addition for those small towns is an online ordering service that delivered into refrigerated lockers. Something like this http://www.omnioninc.com/grocery .

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 5:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
What would be a neat addition for those small towns is an online ordering service that delivered into refrigerated lockers. Something like this http://www.omnioninc.com/grocery .
thats pretty sweet. my bookkeeper is beside me and i asked her if they had these in South korea where shes from and she said yes, they work extremely well and super efficient.

anyone can benefit from these for sure, i prefer "in store" shopping, but if these were to come around here, id use these if i was in a rush, or gone for 2-3 days. Pretty cool though !

Old Posted Feb 24, 2017, 8:30 PM

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 9:03 AM

Quote:
Warman also has a former Extra Foods (now SuperValu) but since the new Coop opened I don't know anyone who goes there. They didn't even bother keeping Martensville's open when their Coop was built. Warman could probably do with a NF, wonder if that's in the pipeline.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 3:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EpicPonyTime View Post
Warman also has a former Extra Foods (now SuperValu) but since the new Coop opened I don't know anyone who goes there. They didn't even bother keeping Martensville's open when their Coop was built. Warman could probably do with a NF, wonder if that's in the pipeline.
Never know. I cant see NF building new stores anytime soon. Just conversions.

Old Posted Feb 25, 2017, 5:11 PM

According to the site plan for the dream center in Kensington there will be a Popeyes chicken going into one of the CRU's in the Save On Foods parking lot.

http://www.dream.ca/centres/wp-conte...Kensington.pdf

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 2:04 AM

Quote:

I didn't necessarily mean to imply that a new company would have to move into SK for increased competition. Most chains already have a discount format in order to compete with discount chains of other banners. Having lived in Ontario, as well as the prairies, I've seen conventional formats like Sobeys change stores into their discount format, FreshCo, in order to compete with an existing YIG or Metro. Metro has done the same, having their own discount format, Food Basics. Consumers in ON head to discount formats for price, conventional formats for service. When a conventional location is faltering, they'll try to switch to discount before completely giving up on a location.

My original point was with an increased presence of No Frills in the prairies, I wonder if an existing competitor like Sobeys or Co-op will try to compete in the discount format as well, or risk having some of their business driven away by price-conscious customers leaving with no alternative to offer them.

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 2:33 AM

Nice find Scotty C

Old Posted Feb 26, 2017, 4:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by scotty c View Post
According to the site plan for the dream center in Kensington there will be a Popeyes chicken going into one of the CRU's in the Save On Foods parking lot.

http://www.dream.ca/centres/wp-conte...Kensington.pdf
Cool, with Save on Foods coming to Saskatoon, that will be the first major grocery chain in Saskatoon doing online ordering and home delivery.

Odd that Co-op has not done it yet.

Old Posted Feb 27, 2017, 3:16 PM

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 1:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
Cool, with Save on Foods coming to Saskatoon, that will be the first major grocery chain in Saskatoon doing online ordering and home delivery.

Odd that Co-op has not done it yet.
extra foods (3rd ave downtown) had delivery service at one point too. was successful, but killed the business, along with other factors. the colleagues hated the delivery service, as i would too. id never run a grocery store that offered that service.

does anyone know how successful the home delivery is for save on ? i cant see it being that much of a hit since everyone enjoys driving everywhere here. elders will take advantage of that ...but someone like me, id rather do my own shopping

Old Posted Feb 28, 2017, 11:59 PM

Quote:
extra foods (3rd ave downtown) had delivery service at one point too. was successful, but killed the business, along with other factors. the colleagues hated the delivery service, as i would too. id never run a grocery store that offered that service.

does anyone know how successful the home delivery is for save on ? i cant see it being that much of a hit since everyone enjoys driving everywhere here. elders will take advantage of that ...but someone like me, id rather do my own shopping
Here is Victoria Thrifty Foods (Sobeys) first started doing it back in 2004. It is a key part of their business. There are a lot of Thrifty home delivery trucks on the road in Victoria. It is very popular. You have to order online and you get to pick two hour time slots. I think the secret is all the back-end systems for managing pickers and drivers.

This is the company that did the original software for that system https://www.mightyoaks.com/software-...y/for-grocers/

Save-On is the new guy on the block in Victoria. The local save-on near where I live started about a year ago and now it looks like they have around 3-4 trucks based out of that one store.

Old Posted Mar 1, 2017, 5:55 PM

Little Grouse and Ayden made the cut for Canada's 100 Best Restaurants 2017, the only SK entries.

http://canadas100best.com/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan