HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Jan 14, 2018, 2:07 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
It would be really nice if the “ultra modern” building at the former Acadian Lines had a significant presence on St. George Street
Agreed. St George has the potential to be a tremendous street with the right developments. It'll take more than just one project to improve it on the whole.

The proximity to the adjacent 55 Queen is welcome. The less surface parking and more dense a neighbourhood the more inviting it is to walk around in. Both should improve this area greatly depending on the yet to be seen renders for this new project.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 5:30 PM

Another Downtown Restaurant might be closings its doors. Mama's Restaurant located at 806 Main Street's owners seem to be wanting to sell the building either with, or without the bussiness.

I do hope if does not leave another empty downtown spot for months, or even years.

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 5:55 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I thought Mama's was quite popular. I wonder what's going on.

On a happier note, Olyo's restaurant at the "V" Hotel on Highfield will be reopening shortly under a new banner - Station 42, and will feature a pub like atmosphere. It's only a block and a half from the events centre, so presumably they intend to try and benefit from the pre and après hockey crowd.........

Old Posted Jan 19, 2018, 6:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post

I thought Mama's was quite popular. I wonder what's going on.

On a happier note, Olyo's restaurant at the "V" Hotel on Highfield will be reopening shortly under a new banner - Station 42, and will feature a pub like atmosphere. It's only a block and a half from the events centre, so presumably they intend to try and benefit from the pre and après hockey crowd.........
So did I because I do know delivery drivers who deliver for them, and they have all said the same it's no sit down restaurant but they seemed to be doing well in pick up, and delivery orders so there might be another reason behind the sale.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 2:30 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

The old Woody's BBQ space in the Landing on the Bend has had a "leased" sign in the window for the last several weeks. There has been some recent activity on site. The rumour is that a "classic" burger restaurant may be moving in.

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 4:04 AM

Quote:
The old Woody's BBQ space in the Landing on the Bend has had a "leased" sign in the window for the last several weeks. There has been some recent activity on site. The rumour is that a "classic" burger restaurant may be moving in.
I thought Woody's BBQ was doing good bussiness. I wonder if this has anything to do with the building being for sale/potentially sold.

Also anyone know anything about the Staples lot having been sold for 4,520,000$ back in December of 2015?

Also found out the Parking lot behind the Marriot Residence Inn is own by the Blue cross centre as the building lot behind, and parking behind the Inn seemingly have been sold off in July of 2015 for a wopping 62,242,978$

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 12:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scarface View Post
Also anyone know anything about the Staples lot having been sold for 4,520,000$ back in December of 2015?
Something looks wonky with those sale dates... it shows it being sold 3x in 3 days, must be error (but it's the building too, not just the lot)

Quote:
Also found out the Parking lot behind the Marriot Residence Inn is own by the Blue cross centre as the building lot behind, and parking behind the Inn seemingly have been sold off in July of 2015 for a wopping 62,242,978$
That's would be because it includes the law office building on it and the Blue Cross building itself...

Old Posted Jan 21, 2018, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vorkuta View Post
Something looks wonky with those sale dates... it shows it being sold 3x in 3 days, must be error (but it's the building too, not just the lot)

That's would be because it includes the law office building on it and the Blue Cross building itself...
For the first one yes I found out someone has put it in wrong so it shows up 3 times in 3 days. Also why I said December 2015, and not the dates themselves Because aparently because of the error I don't think the province would know unless they would check there back log records.

Of course for the sale of the Blue cross, and parking lot it makes more sense with the adding of the law office building.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 11:24 AM

Quote:
I thought Woody's BBQ was doing good bussiness. I wonder if this has anything to do with the building being for sale/potentially sold.
Woody's in Dartmouth has also long been closed now. I suspect that most people went once, realized that Southern BBQ was another word for 'Runny vinegar based sauce' and never returned.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 5:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Feneant View Post
Woody's in Dartmouth has also long been closed now. I suspect that most people went once, realized that Southern BBQ was another word for 'Runny vinegar based sauce' and never returned.
good point.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 8:28 PM

A QUESTION. Is the old SMT bus station on Main, still empty? I always thought that lot was prime for development, and the last ti me I looked at the property nothing seems to be happening

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 9:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PEI highway guy View Post
A QUESTION. Is the old SMT bus station on Main, still empty? I always thought that lot was prime for development, and the last ti me I looked at the property nothing seems to be happening
it is.

It's the Alquini group who own the entire block so I wonder if there are not plans for renovation to the hotel, and redevelopment/renovation to the entire comercial/office strip. Being as it's right across the street of the Centre, and new hotel that is planned.

Old Posted Jan 22, 2018, 11:49 PM

Quote:
it is.

It's the Alquini group who own the entire block so I wonder if there are not plans for renovation to the hotel, and redevelopment/renovation to the entire comercial/office strip. Being as it's right across the street of the Centre, and new hotel that is planned.
It’s been talked about this on here before that they would do major renovations to the whole property. They could probably make a fortune if they included a parking garage.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 4:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josh_cat_eyes View Post
It’s been talked about this on here before that they would do major renovations to the whole property. They could probably make a fortune if they included a parking garage.
They did do some work to the parking, at the back of the buiding. They put a fence up leaving only one entrance, and added extra space. but they did not do much about the height difference of the 2 lots joined to 1. Unless they do some terain change I dont thing they will fit a parking garage I know there use to be one there but keep in mind it only took up a minor portion of the parking surface available.

I do agree with your statement that they could make money if they constructed a parking garage behind the building though.

The old SMT (Acadian lines) Building that sits on the corner I think this could make for a great space for a sit down restaurant with a bit of work to the structure inside, and out., and with the centre, and hotel across the street, and the Crowne Plaza around the corner would do quite well.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 10:10 AM

[QUOTE=Scarface;80569

The old SMT (Acadian lines) Building that sits on the corner I think this could make for a great space for a sit down restaurant with a bit of work to the structure inside, and out., and with the centre, and hotel across the street, and the Crowne Plaza around the corner would do quite well.[/QUOTE]

THERE IS PLENTY OF ROOM BEHIND THE OLD SMT BUILDING to have a significant development. Every time I go by I think it is a big waste of downtown space. I was hoping someone would have a plan. Not a bad spot for someone to place a good Development on even a garage to park.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 12:31 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

The only reason why the Aquillini's would acquire the entire Crowne Plaza block would be to keep their options open in terms of a major future development.

For example, Moncton still lacks a real convention centre. In fact, of all the "big five" Maritime cities, Moncton arguably has the poorest convention facilities. The Delta Beausejour does have conference rooms and a large ballroom, but this is not sufficient for anything larger than medium sized regional meetings and conventions. The Crowne Plaza block however could be redeveloped to include a major convention facility. Such a facility in this location could have synergies with the events centre across the street, and could be serviced by a refurbished Crowne Plaza hotel as well as the new Hyatt and Hilton hotels in the neighbourhood.

I could envisage a completely refurbished Crowne Plaza, with an adjacent convention centre situated on the next-door retail plaza (and SMT) lots, possibly with a second hotel tower above (either an expanded Crowne Plaza or a new banner). There could be new ground floor retail and restaurants and there would be plenty of room in behind for a multi-level parking facility to service the hotel(s), convention centre and the events centre.

A convention centre project such as this would be the ideal use for this land.........

Last edited by MonctonRad; Jan 23, 2018 at 1:35 PM.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:14 PM
ハルウララ

Quote:
The only reason why the Aquillini's would acquire the entire Crowne Plaza block would be to keep their options open in terms of a major future development.

A convention centre project such as this would be the ideal use for this land.........
Step One: Wait for the Events Centre to open.

Step Two: Wait for Downtown parking to be such a headache that the City has to react.

Step Three: Create plans for a Convention Centre. Offer to build a parking garage on site for general use if three levels of government support it. City clamours at chance to not have to fully fund one on its own.

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 1:36 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Sounds like a plan.......

Old Posted Jan 23, 2018, 2:45 PM

Quote:

For example, Moncton still lacks a real convention centre. In fact, of all the "big five" Maritime cities, Moncton arguably has the poorest convention facilities. The Delta Beausejour does have conference rooms and a large ballroom, but this is not sufficient for anything larger than medium sized regional meetings and conventions. The Crowne Plaza block however could be redeveloped to include a major convention facility. Such a facility in this location could have synergies with the events centre across the street, and could be serviced by a refurbished Crowne Plaza hotel as well as the new Hyatt and Hilton hotels in the neighbourhood.

I could envisage a completely refurbished Crowne Plaza, with an adjacent convention centre situated on the next-door retail plaza (and SMT) lots, possibly with a second hotel tower above (either an expanded Crowne Plaza or a new banner). There could be new ground floor retail and restaurants and there would be plenty of room in behind for a multi-level parking facility to service the hotel(s), convention centre and the events centre.

This reminds me.

Has anyone seen, or remember where the Crowne plaza Hotel, and convention plans went?

It is an actual thing one of the crowne plaza's I'm not sure where was undergoing renovations into a larger hotel, and convention centre with underground parking. If I remember corectly the plans where for a lot of simillar size as the block owned by the Aquillini's . Not sure they would build that size of convention centre here in Moncton but the plans looked good from what I can remember.

Old Posted Jan 24, 2018, 4:47 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Olyo's restaurant at the "V" Hotel on Highfield will be reopening shortly under a new banner - Station 42, and will feature a pub like atmosphere. It's only a block and a half from the events centre, so presumably they intend to try and benefit from the pre and après hockey crowd.........
NOW OPEN

https://www.facebook.com/station42.c...location=group

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces