HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
What exactly is the grey/red building going up in Brighton? Motion fitness I presume?
I am not sure, but perhaps the new theatre?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 2:16 PM

Theater

Quote:
Originally Posted by nook View Post
What exactly is the grey/red building going up in Brighton? Motion fitness I presume?
It is the Magic Lantern Theatre

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 3:06 PM

I am sure I heard while I was in Regina last week that they are getting a second imax theatre in one of their new suburban commercial developments.....just wondering why Saskatoon would not yet have an imax theatre? Any thoughts?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 7:23 PM

One of the most ghastly blank walls downtown is getting a large mural painted on it:

Old Posted Aug 31, 2017, 8:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I am sure I heard while I was in Regina last week that they are getting a second imax theatre in one of their new suburban commercial developments.....just wondering why Saskatoon would not yet have an imax theatre? Any thoughts?
The original Imax was partially funded by a large donation from the Kramer family. The second one is just a conversion of an existing Cineplex theatre in Normanview Crossing.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 5:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
The original Imax was partially funded by a large donation from the Kramer family. The second one is just a conversion of an existing Cineplex theatre in Normanview Crossing.
There is quite a difference between the traditional IMAX theatre and the digital IMAX found in movie theatres. I don't think they even compare.

OMNIMAX, IMAX Dome show up in science centres and are impressive. The whole IMAX Digital that shows up in Cineplex is well ok, but that is about it.

What Saskatchewan is missing at this point is a planetarium. Perhaps that would be a better addition to Saskatoon.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by casper View Post
There is quite a difference between the traditional IMAX theatre and the digital IMAX found in movie theatres. I don't think they even compare.

OMNIMAX, IMAX Dome show up in science centres and are impressive. The whole IMAX Digital that shows up in Cineplex is well ok, but that is about it.

What Saskatchewan is missing at this point is a planetarium. Perhaps that would be a better addition to Saskatoon.
Good suggestion Casper....we are the land of living skies.....

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
One of the most ghastly blank walls downtown is getting a large mural painted on it:

Is that a render of what the mural is going to be, or is that the current progress?

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 3:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy4Prez View Post
Is that a render of what the mural is going to be, or is that the current progress?
Current progress.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 5:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SaskE30 View Post
Current progress.

I love it. We need more shit like that.

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 5:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ziggy4Prez View Post
I love it. We need more shit like that.
Four new ones (Foster's shoes, Broadway Pharmacy, Subway, and production lighting) went up on Broadway this year. They all look great!

Old Posted Sep 1, 2017, 8:59 PM

Thumbs up

There must be close to 20 or more of these now in Saskatoon when you include Broadway, Downtown and Riversdale. I love the vibrancy and life it brings to what otherwise is a flat plain surface of a building! More please....!!

Old Posted Sep 2, 2017, 3:35 AM

I’ve always thought the SaskTel building on 1st is in desperate need of the mural treatment. It would definitely set a new size record.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 5:50 AM

Quote:
The new façade of Taverna has been revealed:

https://www.facebook.com/pg/Tavernay...=page_internal
A great upgrade from what it was before and nicely lit at night...but doesn't resemble anything like an Italian Restaurant. More like a car dealership??

The one place I've been keen on seeing new signage for years is Vangelli's on Broadway. What a gross old dilapidated sign! Not a bad bar/music venue but I wish the Broadway Bid would push them to upgrade the signage a bit in the heart of our cultural district.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 2:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by EarlyByrdProductions View Post
The one place I've been keen on seeing new signage for years is Vangelli's on Broadway. What a gross old dilapidated sign! Not a bad bar/music venue but I wish the Broadway Bid would push them to upgrade the signage a bit in the heart of our cultural district.
Oh man, I was just by there last night and thought the exact same thing! considering all the other shops and businesses in the area the signage looks rediculously out of place. That patio out front still looks nice but the sign itself is aweful.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 6:05 PM

Quote:
Heritage designation of the Third Avenue United Church received a nod of support from the provincial heritage review board that was convened when the designation was objected to at City Council last year. Now the matter can go back to Council for a final decision.

The objector (and former owner of the church), John Orr, has come forward with drawings of what he planned to do with the property had he held on to it:

http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/saskat...blow-1.4260771

Absolutely laughable. Not to mention ugly and tasteless as sin. Who is this guy?!

It's funny that he complains that no banks will lend him money to build the tower if the church is designated as heritage. C'mon. No bank should ever lend money to him regardless!

So glad that his hands are off this precious building. I now feel confident that it will receive heritage status and finally find the respectful owner it deserves. The current owner notes in the article that he's in talks with a "community group" interested in purchasing it.
I know some people that were involved with the initial 3rd Ave Community Group that was the only other group with a bid besides Looney Mr Orr. Too bad the Church chased his higher dollar bid (even with his wacky track record) instead of a community group that had legit interest and ability in preserving it and turning it into a music venue and event centre with U of S as the likely main tenant. I believe the momentom from that group has since dissolved.

Old Posted Sep 3, 2017, 10:50 PM

Excavation SW of Merlis Belcher Rink

Seems to be a very large amount of dirt being moved SW of the new rink. Are there untilities that need to be buried or something else going on there?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 3:23 PM

I had same question when biking by this weekend....anyone know the answer?

Old Posted Sep 5, 2017, 4:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I had same question when biking by this weekend....anyone know the answer?
i know that the college quarter project has more mid-rise condos to go up sometime. well..the rendering shows alot more than whats there right now.

maybe someones starting on another condo portion of that area. wouldnt hurt in my opinion. get them all done.

Old Posted Sep 7, 2017, 7:28 PM

Optimist Hill Winter Park

This may be a stretch for the construction thread, but Saskatoon is one of 4 finalist for Kraft Play grant. The project is the construction of the Winter Park Recreation area at Diefenbaker Park being led by the Optimist Club.

I would encourage everyone on here to vote starting tomorrow (Sept 8th) and please forward to your networks and connections. Saskatoon is in in dire need of more winter attractions and outdoor opportunities like this one! Please vote!

http://kraftheinzprojectplay.com/en/...optimist-hill/

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan