HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure

Old Posted Sep 7, 2012, 7:27 AM

This is so cool guys, thanks for the updates!

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 2:36 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
Power is cheap, and over time. A tunnel under such a low traffic road sets a bad precedent and is expensive right now.
A tunnel could have been done so that it went under the intersection, thus smoothing out the curve of the crossing of 17th as well so you wouldn't exactly be setting a precedent.

But I can't figure out why there's a tunnel or trenched section there anyway. Is 69th really that major a road? That strikes me as a far worse precedent than extending a tunnel to keep the grades gentler. Surely it would have been easier to keep the line on the north side of the road and just go across 69th at grade (at which point the issue of a grade separation at Christie Park Gate becomes a moot point), especially since, to my understanding, any future westward extension will be on the north side anyway (so now path dependency has forced a future expenditure for yet another tunnel).

Even if they determined that they really needed a grade separation at 69th, keeping the line on the north side would have allowed for it to be entirely trenched with just bridges at Christie Park Gate and 69th.

The costly design choice at this end of the line was crossing under 17th and forcing the creation of a tunnel at all. I cannot see what is being gained by having the 69th Street station on the south side of 17th. About the only thing it does is saves a pedestrian crossings of 17th for people going to/from any of the institutions or parkades on the south side of 17th... that seems quite a bit of money to spend on removing a need for pedestrian crossings. And even there, if that was the goal, the crossing of 17th could have been accomplished much further east, like before Sarcee Trail when 17th begins its bypass and, using the same rationale of reducing pedestrian crossings of 17th, arguably made for a better station location for Sirocco Station as well. That would have required shuffling 17th northwards, but that would likely still be cheaper than the tunnel.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 3:56 PM
Crunchin' the numbers.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post
A tunnel could have been done so that it went under the intersection, thus smoothing out the curve of the crossing of 17th as well so you wouldn't exactly be setting a precedent.

But I can't figure out why there's a tunnel or trenched section there anyway. Is 69th really that major a road? That strikes me as a far worse precedent than extending a tunnel to keep the grades gentler. Surely it would have been easier to keep the line on the north side of the road and just go across 69th at grade (at which point the issue of a grade separation at Christie Park Gate becomes a moot point), especially since, to my understanding, any future westward extension will be on the north side anyway (so now path dependency has forced a future expenditure for yet another tunnel).

Even if they determined that they really needed a grade separation at 69th, keeping the line on the north side would have allowed for it to be entirely trenched with just bridges at Christie Park Gate and 69th.

The costly design choice at this end of the line was crossing under 17th and forcing the creation of a tunnel at all. I cannot see what is being gained by having the 69th Street station on the south side of 17th. About the only thing it does is saves a pedestrian crossings of 17th for people going to/from any of the institutions or parkades on the south side of 17th... that seems quite a bit of money to spend on removing a need for pedestrian crossings. And even there, if that was the goal, the crossing of 17th could have been accomplished much further east, like before Sarcee Trail when 17th begins its bypass and, using the same rationale of reducing pedestrian crossings of 17th, arguably made for a better station location for Sirocco Station as well. That would have required shuffling 17th northwards, but that would likely still be cheaper than the tunnel.

69th will be more major 20 years from now, when the surrounding communities are built out. If the LRT was built at-grade, then there would be no possibility of a grade separation there. I don't think it's guaranteed that we'll need it, but that's far more path dependency than extending the tunnel a short distance would be.

All of the supporting land uses, including the schools and the Westside rec centre are south of the intersection. North of 17th there is virtually nothing for the station. On the northeast corner are a bunch of McMansions with no pathway out to the LRT; the closest house to the train station is a 1.3 km walk (you have to go out Christie Estates Blvd). The condos on the northwest corner are a little better, but they're still million dollar, two-car-garage condos. And I'm not sure they were necessarily too keen to have a train station at their door; the 2007 alignment study lists "being too close to residential" as a problem with the north-of-17th alignment. (page 3-15.)

Probably most importantly, the park n' ride and the bus loop are both south of 17th. All the buses west of Sarcee are routed to 69th St, so this will be significant. By my count, there are only 5 stations served by more bus routes (Crowfoot, Dalhousie, Brentwood, Chinook, Somerset). This is a station that will get a lot more feeder bus riders than millionaires on foot.

As far as your speculation that given the need for locating the station south of 17th, that rebuilding 2 km of roadway and doing lord knows what earthworks would "likely still be cheaper"... I'm sure that the design-build team evaluated those options (or knew from experience what was ridiculous). And if they missed something, it's their loss. Or do you think that teams of engineers routinely do things that are gratuitously expensive for no gain whatsoever?

Personally, I'm happy that Transit is learning a little from the mistakes of the past and putting stations closer to the amenities they serve, rather than cheaping out and dumping them whereever.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 6:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dado View Post

I'm pretty sure the LRT row is on the south side on 17th Ave all the way until 85th street where it will cross 17the Ave and head NW into Aspen and close to Webber Academy. You can see the curved path in Aspen between two sets of condos where it will run and along 17th Ave there's nothing built on the south side whereas the north side of 17th is completely built for the most part.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert View Post
I'm pretty sure the LRT row is on the south side on 17th Ave all the way until 85th street where it will cross 17the Ave and head NW into Aspen and close to Webber Academy. You can see the curved path in Aspen between two sets of condos where it will run and along 17th Ave there's nothing built on the south side whereas the north side of 17th is completely built for the most part.
No, the LRT ROW was not on the south side - they had to expropriate the private school's field for the tail track. Further extension will be expensive.

It all comes down to the original alignment (and subsequent road design) was designed for in median stations like 36St NE, and in median stations and tracks don't fit the design goals now. (they tried to avoid it at 26th St but the community pushed back the north side alignment).

Also, the land where Westside Rec is, and the land immediately east of it to the next major cross roads was supposed to be another one of these regional towne centre employment nodes, so with changes to the land use, a station further east than the one built makes less sense.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 8:52 PM

Oh, I guess that makes quite a mess then for the future then. Is there not a set row at some point along 17th Ave then? I've seen numerous maps showing how it cuts through Aspen and the future park-n-ride station there.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 9:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by eggbert View Post
Oh, I guess that makes quite a mess then for the future then. Is there not a set row at some point along 17th Ave then? I've seen numerous maps showing how it cuts through Aspen and the future park-n-ride station there.
Oh there is ROW, it is just not convenient for running LRT without considerable expense. If the LRT was continued on the north side of 17th Ave, only one or two grade separations would have been needed (69th and maybe 85th). With 69th St Station on the south side, it adds two more grade separated crossings of 17th Ave.

The construction cost growth of the West LRT from the 2005 study to what was built is quite crazy, from a projected ~$550 million to ~$700 million before the modifications to the Bow Trail segment.

Some of the things were worth it in my mind, namely moving Westbrook station and surrounding tracks underground instead of elevated. Also moving Sunalta station south of Bow Trail and the CPR will likely lead to a much higher supported density, which may be worth the small cost.

All the chicanery west of Sarcee (the long walk to the Sirocco Station Park and Ride, no pedestrian bridge cross 17th at Sirocco, the continued closure of the bus trap that would cut feeder bus times from Strathcona to the line, the land lease that let West Market Square develop in the first place (a long term lease from the city), the location of 69th St station) will hopefully not have a long term negative impact on the system.

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 11:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MalcolmTucker View Post
No, the LRT ROW was not on the south side - they had to expropriate the private school's field for the tail track. Further extension will be expensive.

It all comes down to the original alignment (and subsequent road design) was designed for in median stations like 36St NE, and in median stations and tracks don't fit the design goals now. (they tried to avoid it at 26th St but the community pushed back the north side alignment).

Also, the land where Westside Rec is, and the land immediately east of it to the next major cross roads was supposed to be another one of these regional towne centre employment nodes, so with changes to the land use, a station further east than the one built makes less sense.
Isn't most of that remaining land South of 17th the subject of a rezoning application, I think the owners even had to petition to get the ASP revised so that the land can be developed? I would think the City would be in a pretty good bargaining position to get that ROW for free?

Old Posted Sep 9, 2012, 11:39 PM

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 1:51 PM

I don't have any pictures, but this past weekend it seems that a lot of the final road projects kicked into overdrive. 17th ave/69th street was closed with a final alignment and paving of that intersection. 17th ave EB to 69th street SB exit ramp is not quite open and the final median curbs have not been formed on 17th ave between 69th/73rd.

Westbrook station above ground appears to be clearning most of the debris that is left over, but it seems that they need to move quite a bit more dirt over the next month or so to hit the desired grading for the land.

Final paving also occurred on Bow Trail eastbound from 33rd st to Crowchild. There was a small lane alignment change that took most of the commuters a day or two to figure out. Certainly feels to be flowing much better during the morning rush hour.

Last edited by MrOunce; Sep 20, 2012 at 9:23 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 1:55 PM
I'm the bear on the right

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrOunce View Post
I don't have any pictures, but this past weekend it seems that a lot of the final road projects kicked into overdrive. 17th ave/69th street was closed with a final alignment and paving of that intersection. 17th ave EB to 69th street SB exit ramp is not quite open and the final median curbs have not been formed on 17th ave between 69th/73rd.

Westbrook station above ground appears to be clearning most of the debris that is left over, but it seems that they need to move quite a bit more dirt over the next month or so to hit the desired grading for the land.

Final paving also occurred on Bow Trail eastbound from 33rd st to Crowchild. There was a small lane alignment change that took most of the commuters a day or two to figure out. Certainly feels to be flowing much better during the morning rush hour.
Fixed that for ya. Thx for the update.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 4:07 PM

And just found out today that 69th St bus terminal will be opening at the very beginning of October, and buses will move there from Sirocco so the PnR can be completed at Sirocco. The operator lunch room/washroom and passenger shelter will also be turned over, so they'll also be in use at 69th. The first part of West LRT open to the public!

Old Posted Sep 20, 2012, 9:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by srperrycgy View Post
Fixed that for ya. Thx for the update.
Thanks. Edited.

Old Posted Sep 23, 2012, 9:59 PM
National Capital Region

Quote:
Originally Posted by ByeByeBaby View Post
As far as your speculation that given the need for locating the station south of 17th, that rebuilding 2 km of roadway and doing lord knows what earthworks would "likely still be cheaper"...
Tunnelling is always expensive.

And really, it wouldn't be rebuilding 2 km of roadway, just building a new carriageway where the LRT now is (from 73rd to Sirrocco, about 1.75 km) and replacing the south carriageway with LRT. East of Sirrocco the entire place has been rebuilt anyway.

Quote:
I'm sure that the design-build team evaluated those options (or knew from experience what was ridiculous).
I wouldn't count on it.

Quote:
And if they missed something, it's their loss. Or do you think that teams of engineers routinely do things that are gratuitously expensive for no gain whatsoever?
Let's see.

I'm from Ottawa.

We have the Transitway, a bus-only road system that will have to be converted to light rail but wasn't designed in any way to make that easy.

And we have the provincial MTO with their love of A4 parclo interchanges everywhere and anywhere, even if it means kilometres worth of realigned local roads.

One consequence of the latter is that extensions of the already high-priced former - which are often located in highway corridors - cost tens of millions more than they would if other interchange designs were used, like diamonds. Virtually every time the Transitway encounters an interchange it doesn't just have to cross under the cross road... no, it has to go under the off ramp, the 270° on ramp, the cross road and frequently the on ramp on the other side as well.

So "gratuitously expensive for no gain whatsoever" pretty much fits the bill on both counts, all of it courtesy of the same teams of engineers who work for the MTO one day and the City the next.

Calgary's engineers might not be as bad, but given what I've seen on things like the Southwest BRT, I can see the hallmarks of Ottawa's BRT engineers at work.

Old Posted Sep 24, 2012, 3:15 AM

A few West LRT related shots from my walk this afternoon:

Old sidewalks removed along 17th Ave and 33rd St SW. Hopefully, the ugly-ass and crooked former trolley poles will be removed as well.

WLRT-09232012-1 by srp775, on Flickr

More finishing work on Westbrook Centre.

WLRT-09232012-3 by srp775, on Flickr

New alignment for Bow Trail. The lack of a fence in the median is an accident waiting to happen. During construction, people have been jaywalking across Bow Trail inspite of the existing overpass.

WLRT-09232012-6 by srp775, on Flickr

4-LRV Train dwelling at Sunalta. I missed getting a shot of a moving train on the guideway by a few seconds. The damn thing was too quiet!

WLRT-09232012-8 by srp775, on Flickr

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:07 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

So Coach Hill is whining about losing the 101 bus route once the WLRT opens. Anything going to come of that?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:30 PM

Nope. The new/revised bus routes are ready to roll when the West LRT opens. I remember this same type of whining when Dalhousie opened and Silver Springs lost their express routes.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 2:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bigtime View Post
So Coach Hill is whining about losing the 101 bus route once the WLRT opens. Anything going to come of that?
By what methods are they complaining?

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 3:13 PM
Very tall. Such Scrape.

Flyers posted around the bus stops complaining about it being cut, and giving you the numbers and emails to complain to Calgary Transit about it.

I've also seen a few people on twitter bitching directly to the CT account about it, and they are usually being told that due to the WLRT the route will no longer be required.

Old Posted Sep 25, 2012, 5:40 PM

Boo hoo hoo. If they were concerned they should have been involved in the numerous consultations about the changes to the routes that had taken place over the last 4 or so years, but even then the numbers are against keeping it.

Live or work in the Beltline? Check out the Official Beltline web site here

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Alberta & British Columbia > Calgary > Transportation & Infrastructure