HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 12:07 PM

http://islandedition.ca/business/201...r-drive-plaza/

Plaza Corp will not confirm if ground prep work at Spencer Drive is original phase two, only saying they are getting ready to construct a building in 2014. Sounds like it could be Canadian Tire's new footprint.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 12:12 PM

Work begins on phase two of Spencer Drive Plaza
By Andrew Chisholm
IslandEdition.ca
Sept. 18, 2013
http://islandedition.ca/business/201...r-drive-plaza/

Ground preparation work has begun on the site of what will become phase two of the Spencer Drive Plaza development in Charlottetown.

A number of machines were dropped off at the site last week, and this morning crews began bulldozing dirt. Just as Island Edition was leaving the site today after snapping a few pictures, a delivery truck showed up with a portable toilet – a sure sign the project is in full swing.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 12:26 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Welcome to the forums!

As an ex-Islander (is anyone ever really an ex-Islander), I am most pleased to see the Island section of the forums coming back to life. It's always great to see whats going on at home.....

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 8:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
Canadian Tire Parade Ready to take Action

Here they are all lined up on the ready, waiting for the command to start leveling the hill for the preparation of the new Canadian Tire store on Spencer Drive.

The Parade has begun!. I just drove by there this evening and the equipment was moving earth.

It could be a Canadian Tire or maybe..........

Last edited by braymondg; Sep 19, 2013 at 8:50 PM.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 8:39 PM

MonctonRad how often do you return to your former home? I saw you post that you once lived in Halifax as well. I must say you know the Maritimes.

Old Posted Sep 19, 2013, 11:28 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by swish View Post
MonctonRad how often do you return to your former home? I saw you post that you once lived in Halifax as well. I must say you know the Maritimes.
Sadly, I don't get home very often any more. None of my immediate family lives on the Island anymore. Most of them live in Calgary but my sister lives in Quebec. Without anyone to visit, it's actually a little sad going home......

I grew up in Charlottetown and did a science degree at UPEI. I then moved to Halifax for five years for med school and internship. I moved back to Summerside for one year of general practice then returned to Halifax for another four years of residency in diagnostic imaging. I then moved to Moncton and have lived here ever since.

I spent parts of my internship and residency in Sydney and Saint John, so yes, I do know the Maritimes pretty well. Since I have lived most everywhere, this probably explains why I tend not to be too sympathetic to those who promote locating or relocating everything to one (or two) cities in the region. All cities in the Maritimes have their own particular strengths and each city should be allowed to flourish......

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 4:06 AM

Hey i appreciate the reply and i wholeheartedly agree all the cities need to be treated well politically and by the public. I have found something to like in all Martime cities and the only significant place i have yet to spend time is Fredericton which is on my wish list soon. My cousin also did an internship in Saint John and he now practices psychiatry in Kingston, On. When my aunt eventually passes on my visits to Saint John will be a little sad for sure. My visits to Moncton are already a bit sad since my maternal grandmother passed on 10 years ago.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 12:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by braymondg View Post
Mt Edward Rd, University Ave and Capital Drive intersection improvement.
BTW, don't get me going on where Spencer Drive empties. What a pitiful arrangement to have all the traffic go through a mall to get to Mt Edward Rd. Just down right bad city planning.
braymondg,
I believe you left a comment on my blog a couple of years ago expressing the exact same concerns with Spencer Drive and signage on Capital Drive.

http://ward3brighton.ca/blog/2010/01/05/378

I still believe the City needs to make Spencer Drive a priority. I have discussed this with other councillors as recently as the past week. Unfortunately, the councillor for the area does not support extending Spencer straight thru to Mt. Edward.
However, since I wrote that blog post almost three years ago, the city has acquired ownership of the once privately owned road out the back of the Ch'town Mall. At one point, there had been discussions with RioCan (owners of mall) about the city purchasing a small strip of the malls parking lot at the east end so that the end of Spencer could be connected to the road at the back of the mall. The idea would be to fully upgrade Spencer and the old private road and connect them with two 90 degree turns. It's not my preferred solution, but something needs to be done.
With the recent discussion of Plaza Corp phase 2 this is becoming critical, that's why I brought the subject up again recently with councillors. I suggest you contact the city directly if you agree this is a priority.

Last edited by RobLantz; Sep 20, 2013 at 1:29 PM.

Old Posted Sep 20, 2013, 6:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RobLantz View Post
braymondg,
I believe you left a comment on my blog a couple of years ago expressing the exact same concerns with Spencer Drive and signage on Capital Drive.

http://ward3brighton.ca/blog/2010/01/05/378

I still believe the City needs to make Spencer Drive a priority. I have discussed this with other councillors as recently as the past week. Unfortunately, the councillor for the area does not support extending Spencer straight thru to Mt. Edward.
However, since I wrote that blog post almost three years ago, the city has acquired ownership of the once privately owned road out the back of the Ch'town Mall. At one point, there had been discussions with RioCan (owners of mall) about the city purchasing a small strip of the malls parking lot at the east end so that the end of Spencer could be connected to the road at the back of the mall. The idea would be to fully upgrade Spencer and the old private road and connect them with two 90 degree turns. It's not my preferred solution, but something needs to be done.
With the recent discussion of Plaza Corp phase 2 this is becoming critical, that's why I brought the subject up again recently with councillors. I suggest you contact the city directly if you agree this is a priority.
The problem with the above is that these types of decisions should be made by City management and not City politicians. The fact that the ward councillor does not agree with the extension should be a non issue. The decision as to whether extension of Spencer is warranted should be made on sound engineering study and traffic volume/flow data.

Old Posted Sep 21, 2013, 5:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by engpei View Post
The problem with the above is that these types of decisions should be made by City management and not City politicians. The fact that the ward councillor does not agree with the extension should be a non issue. The decision as to whether extension of Spencer is warranted should be made on sound engineering study and traffic volume/flow data.
Agreed

Old Posted Sep 22, 2013, 8:16 PM

If no one is going to extend Spencer Dr then, could you please put a sign telling people where the city centre is and route 2. Just yesterday and Wednesday after work, I was behind visitors, one from Quebec and the other from Nova Scotia driving down Spencer and going straight past the mall entrance and Sobeys entrance. You can tell they made a wrong turn by their reaction.
Rob, can someone at least fix this first. I'm sure it's leaving a few of our visitors scratching their heads.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 12:57 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

I was over in the old home place this afternoon. What a glorious day for late September!

I took a few pictures of several of the new developments in the downtown area:

New Convention Centre:

Nice juxtaposition with the cruise ship at the government wharf.

Back end, overlooking the marina and Peake's Quay.

Main concourse outside the banquet hall. The Canadian Society of Pediatric Surgeons is meeting at the convention centre presently, so obviously the convention centre is on the national radar screen.

New Downtown Starbuck's on Lower Queen Street:

Charlottetown now has two downtown Starbuck's locations (the other is at the Kent/University intersection). To my knowledge, this makes Charlottetown the only city in the Maritimes outside Halifax with more than one downtown Starbuck's!!

Richmond Place (New Condo Development Next to Richmond Square):

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 2:02 AM
The good old days are now

Thanks for the pics! That is quite a nice convention centre.

Even in Quebec, outside of Greater Montreal and Quebec City, most major cities like Sherbrooke or Trois-Rivières don't even have a single Starbucks (let alone one downtown).

Charlottetown is doing quite well. I find its downtown is disproportionately large and busy for a city its size. I would assume that much of this bustle comes with being a provincial capital, and it would almost certainly lose out if there was a Maritime Union, as mentioned in the other thread. It not only has provincial government offices (that might leave under a Maritime Union), but also provincial chapters of various organizations.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 3:06 AM
Unapologetic Occidental

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post

Even in Quebec, outside of Greater Montreal and Quebec City, most major cities like Sherbrooke or Trois-Rivières don't even have a single Starbucks (let alone one downtown).

Yeah. Gatineau just got its first Starbucks. Population 275,000.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 12:37 PM

Nice pictures Moncton! Is the new Starbucks location actually open yet?

MTL: I agree. I find the whole downtown to be bustling like crazy on good weather days. Even outside of the typical tourist season there seems to be a lot of people moving around in the core of the city

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 1:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Nice pictures Moncton! Is the new Starbucks location actually open yet?

MTL: I agree. I find the whole downtown to be bustling like crazy on good weather days. Even outside of the typical tourist season there seems to be a lot of people moving around in the core of the city
Yes, Starbucks is open. I was past there yesterday and it is open for business and with most tables occupied. Also, a new Stabucks will be going into the mall soon, just about the time Target has opened.
We sure love our coffee here in Charlottetown. I think Tim Horton locations tell that truth. As far as I can recall, there are 11 Tim Hortons in the Charlottetown area with a possibility of an indoor location on the UPEI campus in the near future.
And for those who like tea, there is David's Tea on University Ave.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 1:25 PM

CANADIAN TIRE UPDATE.

I've learned from a very reliable and trusted source that the earth moving at the Spencer Drive location is indeed for a new and bigger Canadian Tire store.

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 2:16 PM

Any word if this new location is to include Marks?

Old Posted Sep 29, 2013, 2:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MTLskyline View Post

Charlottetown is doing quite well. I find its downtown is disproportionately large and busy for a city its size. I would assume that much of this bustle comes with being a provincial capital, and it would almost certainly lose out if there was a Maritime Union, as mentioned in the other thread. It not only has provincial government offices (that might leave under a Maritime Union), but also provincial chapters of various organizations.
The DVA (Veterns Affairs) is also downtown, and there is lots of bars, stores and things to do. I went to Holland College and it was always busy not necessarily with Government people, but with ever kind of people. I love downtown Charlottetown, it's my favorite downtown in Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Oct 5, 2013, 5:07 AM

I must second the post above! I just returned from Charlottetown and it's indeed quite charming and pretty. Well the downtown area anyways, the big box area at the entrance of the city I could do without, but the core of the city is beautiful and well preserved. Lots of character, architecture and trees, it's nicer than any other downtown in New Brunswick, especially Moncton.

BTW, Richmond Place is a beautiful project, why can't we see these things in Moncton? Most multifamily in Moncton are cheap, ugly and 3 storeys.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces