HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 8:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Larla77 View Post
They were on the second floor near the food court. I didn't know they ever left.
Are you thinking of the X-store? Showcase was on the first floor, where (I think) Jump+ is right now.

Old Posted Aug 20, 2019, 10:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
Are you thinking of the X-store? Showcase was on the first floor, where (I think) Jump+ is right now.
I don't recall a Showcase in the Avalon Mall, The Village yes - just over from Goodlife.
I couldn't say if they're still there or not as I haven't been in the Village in ages.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 12:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
I don't recall a Showcase in the Avalon Mall, The Village yes - just over from Goodlife.
I couldn't say if they're still there or not as I haven't been in the Village in ages.
Apparently it was located on the lower floor at the current Rogers location, across from where Urban Planet is now.

Old Posted Aug 21, 2019, 11:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Apparently it was located on the lower floor at the current Rogers location, across from where Urban Planet is now.
This is correct

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 12:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by IronMan View Post
Hmm, had no idea.
On another note, I'm curious about CIBC. Are they staying in the same location? Not obvious to me going on the new drawings. Anyone?

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Offshore1 View Post
Hmm, had no idea.
On another note, I'm curious about CIBC. Are they staying in the same location? Not obvious to me going on the new drawings. Anyone?
I wondered about CIBC myself, as well as Starbucks, as they are both in a corridor that will be eliminated. If Indigo/Chapters does in fact move to the mall, I'm guessing Starbucks will be incorporated into it. I'm guessing CIBC will move to a new location next to the new front entrance.

I took a stroll through the mall a few nights ago and was impressed with how the new design really improves the older area from Tip Top to Winners. That dark closed in feel is gone.

Old Posted Aug 22, 2019, 6:12 PM

I wouldn’t be surprised to see the CIBC Bank or Scotiabank for that matter eventually moved outside of the mall onto the parking lot in a stand-alone format with a drive-thru. That seems to be the trend with banks these days

Quote:
Originally Posted by wmemeadusjr View Post
I wondered about CIBC myself, as well as Starbucks, as they are both in a corridor that will be eliminated. If Indigo/Chapters does in fact move to the mall, I'm guessing Starbucks will be incorporated into it. I'm guessing CIBC will move to a new location next to the new front entrance.

I took a stroll through the mall a few nights ago and was impressed with how the new design really improves the older area from Tip Top to Winners. That dark closed in feel is gone.

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 4:56 PM

When I shop in the Stavanger Drive area I usually ask the workers if they noticed a difference since Costco left. I was shopping at Old Navy this morning and I asked the cashier and she said that for the first couple of days it was slower but after that it was business as usual. She said that the new mall location will be a smaller store and that Stavanger will be the main store for St. John's.

Also, when I was at Marshall's I asked the same question and the cashier said that they don't get as many early morning shoppers, but overall there has not been a drop in business from his standpoint. He said that the company told them that they expected and was prepared for a drop in sales once Costco moved, as they decided to open in that location even though they knew Costco was moving. He said that the company said that the store is staying.

I also had lunch at Cora's and asked if they noticed any difference. The server said that there is a slight drop in very early morning customers, but not enough to affect staffing, but later in the day is actually busier. She said that they are expecting that they may have to add staff when Exxon moves in next door.

I asked at Michael's and a manager told me that it was the plan for some time now for Michael's to have an East and West end location.

Finally, as part of my conversation at Old Navy, they told me that the talk is that Giant Tiger has purchased 48,000 sqft in the old Target building. She said it was only a rumour but that is the talk. For what it is worth!

PS - I asked a manager at Wal Mart if they noticed a difference since Costco left, she laughed and jokingly asked 'Is Costco moved?'

Old Posted Aug 23, 2019, 5:02 PM

So what you're saying is that the sky isn't falling? WEIRD.

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 1:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Marty_Mcfly View Post
So what you're saying is that the sky isn't falling? WEIRD.
Contrary to popular belief! Lol!

Old Posted Aug 24, 2019, 2:10 AM

I don't understand the obsession with Marshall's and Old Navy.Whenever I drive by Stavanger,there aren't many cars in the parking lot. That doesn't exactly scream "high demand for second locations".

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pearlie_Steve View Post
I don't understand the obsession with Marshall's and Old Navy.Whenever I drive by Stavanger,there aren't many cars in the parking lot. That doesn't exactly scream "high demand for second locations".
I love both. The location on Stavanger had been their busiest store in Atlantic Canada.

Old Posted Aug 25, 2019, 9:08 PM

Paderno on Stavanger is closing. Noticed today yellow signs when I was at Swiss Chalet for lunch and drove by on the way out. They were store closing, liquidation signs as I suspected. I'm not surprised as I rarely saw anyone in there.

Was at the mall last night and chatted to the person at Peoples while getting a ring inspection. She was talking about stores opening although nothing new really. More existing stores will be moving around as they update their signage, etc. Newfoundland Chocolate company apparently moving into a larger space and having a cafe at their space in addition to the retail.

Old Posted Aug 29, 2019, 11:23 AM

For all of you guys hoping that Forever 21 would open a shop in St John’s, you may have a long wait. They are most likely filing for bankruptcy.

https://www.cnbc.com/2019/08/28/fore...rROoy4JkW9_Bus

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 4:04 PM

There are two notices from the city in today's Telegram that Crombie REIT has applied for approval to construct a national coffee drive thru and a national bank drive thru at 46 Kenmount Road.

Here are the links. There are links to PDFs showing the maps, one is on the east and one on the west side of the Polina Rd entrance.

http://stjohns.ca/public-notice/appl...ss-polina-road

Does this end the hopes of a Fog City stand alone store???

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 4:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotr View Post
There are two notices from the city in today's Telegram that Crombie REIT has applied for approval to construct a national coffee drive thru and a national bank drive thru at 46 Kenmount Road.

Here are the links. As one is labeled East and one is Labeled West I will assume these are separate buildings on either side of the Polina Rd entrance.

Bank could be ScotiaBank moving outside?

Old Posted Aug 31, 2019, 4:27 PM

Or it could be CIBC as the current hallway leading to the bank and Starbucks will be eliminated once the expansion is completed.

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjavman View Post
Bank could be ScotiaBank moving outside?

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 2:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cdotr View Post

Here are the links. There are links to PDFs showing the maps, one is on the east and one on the west side of the Polina Rd entrance.

I think the Fog City ship sailed a while ago. So is it CIBC and Starbucks moving outside or CIBC and another Tims with Starbucks staying in the mall. or something else entirely.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 4:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Arrakis View Post
Or it could be CIBC as the current hallway leading to the bank and Starbucks will be eliminated once the expansion is completed.
I think you're right. Forgot about CIBC.

Old Posted Sep 4, 2019, 6:33 PM

Avalon Mall now has the remaining parking lot in front of the old Winners location closed to allow continuation of the new mall expansion.

On a side note. Perhaps Avalon Mall renovations and expansion deserves a separate thread of its own since it’s such a huge project. Some people are actually more interested in what’s happening at the mall than what’s goin up to Galway. Anyone else agree?

Last edited by Arrakis; Sep 5, 2019 at 4:04 AM.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces > St. John's