HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 10:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by headhorse View Post
does anyone know if there are boarding #'s collected at each rapid transit station?
No because that would require them to put buses with counters on the brt routes. There is another way via the counter button on the farebox but I haven’t seen it used outside of the free buses.

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 11:26 PM
Transit Nerd

Quote:
Originally Posted by LilZebra View Post
That's 2 or 3 attacks in the past WEEK! Zombie apocalypse is upon us!

Time to station Transit security there and at other RT Stations.
The worst part is too, Osborne station is designed in such a way, even running for an emergency exit is impossible as an escape, along with the designs of the pedestrian area near the Masonic building. If you're a pro athlete, maybe? Average joe? Probably not.

I've seen some supe's go by now and then, but WPS? Never. A cop car or two through the station couldn't hurt. Do the cops even realize they can go up and down, Mad Max style, on the Transitway? If I was a cop, I wouldn't mind flying down the SWBRT during my shifts... so why can't they? It's even in the by-laws for the whole Transitway lol: any and all WFPS, WPS, WT and government vehicles can use the Transitway, so why don't they?

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 12:12 AM
Orig. frm Alpha Pectaurus

Well, one day they won't. Just look at your avatar.

When we get one of those fancy schmanty trains like everyone else does, the emerg. vehicles wil not be allowed on the TRACKS.

Just practice for those upcoming days, I guess.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 12:32 AM

WPD can also go down Graham on the bus only sections and one very rarely sees them do that. The most I have ever seen is them going one block to avoid going to Portage Ave to make a turn on one of the one ways.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 3:30 AM

If we would stop using archaic paper passes, we'd have way more accurate ridership numbers. It's insane that you still just flash the the pass and get on without any tracking.

I know the busses are GPS-enabled, but are the fareboxes? Wondering if transit can know at what stop people tap their Peggo cards to get on?

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 4:54 PM

Even if the fare boxes aren't GPS enabled the fare box should be logging payment time for each fare. Transit would know where each bus would be at that time and could reverse it and that is even without using GPS tracking that I think each bus has.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 5:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by armorand93 View Post
The worst part is too, Osborne station is designed in such a way, even running for an emergency exit is impossible as an escape, along with the designs of the pedestrian area near the Masonic building. If you're a pro athlete, maybe? Average joe? Probably not.

I've seen some supe's go by now and then, but WPS? Never. A cop car or two through the station couldn't hurt. Do the cops even realize they can go up and down, Mad Max style, on the Transitway? If I was a cop, I wouldn't mind flying down the SWBRT during my shifts... so why can't they? It's even in the by-laws for the whole Transitway lol: any and all WFPS, WPS, WT and government vehicles can use the Transitway, so why don't they?
I used to commute downtown by bus and there would often be emergency vehicles going down there, usually with lights on but also the occasional "just cruising through". My commute followed the typical morning and evening rush times, so maybe they just took advantage of it when traffic was busier and getting cars out of the way is actually difficult?

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 6:23 PM

The Amalgamated Transit Union Local 1505, which represents almost 1,400 transit workers, is asking operators not to inform passengers how much it costs to ride the bus or enforce fare payments on Tuesday.

https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/manit...tion-1.5133218

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 6:30 PM

^ I get that being a bus driver is not the easiest job, but even still, ATU has taken a very antagonistic stance toward the City. It will be interesting to see where that gets them with their negotiations.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 6:35 PM

I will tap my card and continue on my way.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 6:37 PM

^Too be honest I feel the city has generally conceded too much in their CBA negotiations. I don't think the City will use this to their advantage in anyway.

The ATU is promoting insubordination which may not be illegal like the City has said but it is definitely as punishable offence. I hope Transit deals with this with appropriate punishment to anyone caught not doing their job.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 11:21 PM
BANNED

solidarity with transit workers who continue to fight against dangerous job conditions and one of the lowest rates of transit investment in the country.

hope they make city hall and all of you enemies of the working class scream

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:03 AM

"Working to rule" is a long-standing labour practice. Enforcing fare payment cannot be drivers' responsibility.

It's no different than the non-interference policy for shoplifting. The problem is way bigger than employees can handle. We've already had one murder.

Hitting the city where it hurts while still performing the service is mild compared to what municipalities can expect in countries with stronger labour rights.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 12:48 AM

Most of you don't remember or weren't born at the time, but WT had a massive (no buses at all) for 3 weeks in February 1976.

Video Link

It was so cold that month that the Trib route that my classmate's brother gave to me in early Sept. '75 I had quit by Feb. '76 because my feet were so cold because they didn't have Sorel boots (or my family couldn't afford a pair).

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:40 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

They're taking the Japanese approach in striking. Continue service, but not enforce fares at all.

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 1:58 AM

Split Shifts ... Not A New Thing

The Winnipeg Tribune
January 28, 1976 pages 1,5

Strikers rap driver system
by Graham Parley
Trib Staff Writer

"After you've been driving for a while, some friends quit coming over to see you. The hours are awkward and you don't have many weekends off."

"The wives start to get on about their husbands about the effect this has on their social life and things can get bad. There's a lot of divorces among drivers because of this."

Dave Krahn is 26, and is talking as he takes his turn on picket duty outside the Winnipeg Transit garage on Osborne St. It is bitterly cold and there is no shelter to keep the wind from whipping at his face.

But Dave and the other pickets are convinced of the justice of their strike and, freezing or not, say they are prepared to stick it out.

The public only hears about the rates of pay, they say, and don't realize the difficulties of the job. It's not just a case of clocking on, taking the bus out, bringing it back, clocking off.

They point to the split-shift system, which forces drivers to take breaks of between two and six hours between their shifts.

It means the time between starting and finishing work is lengthend. In some cases considerably. The first three hours of the break are unpaid and the next three can earn a driver a maximum of less than $2.

"it's not much compensation for the disruption," says one picket.

Monday the forecast high is -15 C.

Negotiations began at 9:30 am on Tuesday in labor department offices in the Norquay Building. The parties, including a labor department conciliator, were tight-lipped before they broke for lunch. Talks finally adjourned at 2 p.m.

Tuesday's resumption in talks was called after city council ordered its negotiating team back into bargaining, while also standing firm on the 9.3 per cent increase that prompted transit workers to strike. The union has demanded 18 per cent plus fringe benefits.

Asked how union strike procedures were going, the confident sounding Mr. Cohen said, "they're going great".

There was an expression of confidence on the city side too. A spokesman at the city's control centre set up during the strike's duration said traffic operations were going "reasonably well". but that traffic was a little slower than Monday's.

Main traffic problems were on Henderson Hwy. and St. Mary's Rd., the spokesman said.

If there is any comfort from the strike, might be found in the $16,000 a day saving the city is not having to bus 120,000 people every day.

Normal daily deficit is computed by Nick Diakiw, works and operations commissioner, to be about $16,000. Daily revenue is about $36,000. Daily expenses about $68,000 -- a difference of $32,000 in the red. Half of that goes into continuous fixed costs, strike or no. The remining $16,000 is the amount "saved," while the buses are still.

Last edited by LilZebra; May 14, 2019 at 2:34 AM.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:42 AM

http://https://share.icloud.com/phot...A#Winnipeg,_MB brand new Winnipeg transit XD60 bus 371

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Wpgtransit198 View Post
http://https://share.icloud.com/phot...A#Winnipeg,_MB brand new Winnipeg transit XD60 bus 371
That URL looks pretty Eff'd up. Can you please recheck and repost the correct URL?

Here, I think it's supposed to be:

https://www.icloud.com/photos/#0Dfk0...cIRBWBFql_aKnA

Except where is the rest of the bus?

Thx.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 4:25 PM

There was no difference in my bus ride this morning. The driver sat there silent as usual. I paid my fare and boarded. I have no issue with drivers wanting safe working conditions. That's their right of course. But again it's a union driving a wedge. Why I see no value in them for this type of situation.

Old Posted May 14, 2019, 4:29 PM

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan