HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture

The St. Regis Chicago in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • Chicago Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
Chicago Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 5:58 PM

340 OTP is a perfect transition between the designs and materials of Aon and Vista.

Literally it's square and white concrete on the Aon side and green glass and triangular on the Vista side. The composition of Chicagos skyline is unmatched.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2019, 8:31 PM

^ Those are phenomenal pics from by the lake.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:17 AM

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jjk113 View Post
......when do we expect Vista to top out ?
I say right at the beginning of March

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:31 AM

Is there a reason why some single window panes are discolored compared to the ones surrounding them?

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:55 AM

Wow with so many great pics being posted here all the time it made me smile to hear that those lucky snaps are being appreciated. I feel compelled to drop the high res here.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohcatoah View Post
Is there a reason why some single window panes are discolored compared to the ones surrounding them?
Yes, the reason is because the original panels shipped to them did not fit, were damaged, or did not perform properly under stress testing. After watching them spend literally 3 hours trying to shove one awkwardly placed window into place on the southwest shear wall, then failing... I assume most of them just didn't fit.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 2:57 AM

Nice pic bonobo, they are almost finished up with GEMS exterior. It looks cool. Playful. Fun. But, pressed up against our baby.. lets just not talk about it.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 3:04 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sohcatoah View Post
Those are temp Windows do to manufacturing defects and/or damaged!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:37 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donnie77 View Post
Those are temp Windows do to manufacturing defects and/or damaged!
Quote:
Yes, the reason is because the original panels shipped to them did not fit, were damaged, or did not perform properly under stress testing. After watching them spend literally 3 hours trying to shove one awkwardly placed window into place on the southwest shear wall, then failing... I assume most of them just didn't fit.
Are they going to replace them in the future? Or will they stay like that? Because I will be a bit disappointed if it isn't a perfect gradient

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 5:15 AM

Definitely will be replacing them!!

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 1:43 PM
BANNED

^^ Ha, what do you think this is? China? Russia? USA is no third rate country. We care about the finished product! (Except for Related's 111 W Wacker, where I believe there is still a temp pane or two in place)

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 4:58 PM

[QUOTE=cozy;8464110]Wow with so many great pics being posted here all the time it made me smile to hear that those lucky snaps are being appreciated. I feel compelled to drop the high res here.

The shot capturing the water with a flat frozen surface giving it an almost glass like quality to reflect the buildings is what struck me most.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2019, 7:14 PM

glass

Quote:
Originally Posted by BonoboZill4 View Post
So, I know we all are already big fans of the glass, but I've been taking unscientific public gauging on how people feel about the glass and let me just say... it's not good.

Most people think it looks "tacky", "ugly", "messy", and "confusing". And to be honest, I kind of get where they are coming from at this point. I do think once it is a cohesive set of glass, it'll look good, but "they" have a point (right now).
There are six shades of glass being installed so during installation it make look a bit awkward with glass being installed at several points but I think when it's all finished the look will be at least understood if not appreciated. Loyola has a building on Wabash Ave that is like a tiny version of Vista with almost the same glass except while Vista's glass will be giving a wave affect from dark to light, and vice versa the Loyola glass is purposely sporadically placed for modern appeal. We'll see when it's all said and done but I think it will be appealing to most when the light hits it.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 12:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by officialroyce View Post
There are six shades of glass being installed so during installation it make look a bit awkward with glass being installed at several points but I think when it's all finished the look will be at least understood if not appreciated. Loyola has a building on Wabash Ave that is like a tiny version of Vista with almost the same glass except while Vista's glass will be giving a wave affect from dark to light, and vice versa the Loyola glass is purposely sporadically placed for modern appeal. We'll see when it's all said and done but I think it will be appealing to most when the light hits it.
Are you talking about the Roosevelt University building? Otherwise I'm drawing a blank.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 12:49 AM

2/7/2019

Words and pictures cannot express how tall this building looks when viewed from the intersection of Illinois and McClurg

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 2:12 AM

Smile Vista Underpowered EFCO WW... not Entekk Talon Wall

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bombardier View Post
SoMi and Essex are the same system. It is called Talonwall (http://entekk.com/TalonWall/Talon-Wall-Features.pdf). It's a hybrid system in that it captures the slab edge (does not fly past - similar to a window wall), but the waterline is directly through the face of glass, not through the aluminum framing members (a typical trait of curtainwall). It more closely compares to a unitized curtainwall system than a window wall system, which is why they market it as a curtainwall.
Bombardier.... Vista is certainly NOT Talon Wall my friend. We can’t blame Entekk for that abomination spawned by Efco’s window wall that was woefully underpowered for the application, and promoted by the most corrupt contractor in the city in my opinion....McHugh. Had Vista been Talon Wall, there would be a glass Tower there now instead of open concrete floors.

Sorry but need to correct that record!!!!!

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:06 AM

GlassDude where were you like 6 months ago when we were all looking for answers!? haha

Welcome, looking forward to your insight!

Last edited by PittsburghPA; Feb 8, 2019 at 7:07 AM.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 3:13 AM
BANNED

^^ Welcome to the forum! Can I trouble you to define what you mean by “underpowered”? Also, anymore backstory on the glass mishap would be appreciated by all of us.

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 6:30 AM

Has bombardier ever been corrected before??

I could also benefit from a bit more clarification on the reason whatever EFCO is doing is much less efficient than this Talon Wall system.

Also maybe some suggestions on where to read up on McHugh being corrupt...

Old Posted Feb 8, 2019, 9:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by building_guy View Post
Wow, GlassDude throwing shade. I would be interested in all this info on under-powered glass systems and corrupt contractors too!?!?
That would be interesting but he probably already said to much. Also not the first time I have heard bad things about McHugh with problems on other construction projects. Maybe they are to big with to many projects to manage everything properly.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture