HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 6:25 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

mistakenly posted wrong place

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 6:35 PM

Looks like DNA posted all the content online again.

Last edited by Vlajos; Nov 3, 2017 at 6:52 PM.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 6:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LouisVanDerWright View Post
God Carlos Rosa is DOA in the next election, his staff just can't keep their mouths shut:

https://mobile.twitter.com/evanFmoor...952704/photo/1

https://mobile.twitter.com/mina_bloo...71875650674688

This is his chief of staff celebrating DNAinfo going under (because they are "white trust fund babies from the suburbs") and then basically telling someone who got laid off to get a job. This is four days after his other staffer complained that white people are moving into Logan Square.
I don't even live in the ward and I'm completely fed up with his shenanigans. I just signed up to volunteer on a campaign that is starting up to run against him in February of 2019. I can PM you details if youre interested in volunteering. Every little bit of support helps!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 7:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stunnies23 View Post
I don't even live in the ward and I'm completely fed up with his shenanigans. I just signed up to volunteer on a campaign that is starting up to run against him in February of 2019. I can PM you details if youre interested in volunteering. Every little bit of support helps!
Who's running against him?

Old Posted Nov 3, 2017, 8:27 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Via Chicago View Post
i think chicago needs to carve out and articulate its own niche. we have live music, and its SO much better than whats available in these cities. the thing is we're big enough to the degree that basically any national touring band will make a stop without a second thought, and we get a lot of the cool one off/limited engagement things that maybe only land in 3 or 4 places in north america. what we're actually producing however is more difficult to pin down.
What they should do, instead of either doing the splatter-gun, something for everyone approach, or deciding which one area Chicago can sell the hardest, is to have a dozen different marketing campaigns, with each one focused on a niche.

Then you could really sell each niche to the audience(s) that are interested in those niches and compete individually against those other niche markets. You could still do a few broad campaigns showcasing all of Chicago's highlights, but we'd also probably have a better shot at attracting the niche audiences, too.
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Dec 9, 2017, 6:34 PM
BANNED

Here is a pretty interesting real estate news story.

Anyone who has been on the waters of Lake Geneva would be familiar with the largest mansion on it. The Stone Manor.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/reale...on-lake-geneva

December 07, 2017

Meet the L.A. woman who's spent $16 million on a Lake Geneva mansion

By Dennis Rodkin

A Los Angeles woman has been buying up the condos in a gigantic Lake Geneva mansion, spending more than $13.5 million in the past year, and even at that price she doesn't own the whole building yet.
Tina Trahan of Santa Monica, Calif., said she also has spent at least $2.5 million on renovations. "I don't know how much it will be at the end," she said. "There's a lot of work that has to be done." At the moment, she's in the process of renovating 14 bathrooms...

Trahan owns six of the seven condos in Stone Manor, a giant lakefront home built in 1901, according to Walworth County, Wis., tax records. She bought the first and largest in November 2016 for just under $6 million and one-third of the second floor for $2.25 million last month.
At $13.5 million, Trahan has spent more than anyone has paid to buy a home in the six-county Chicago area since December 2015, when Citadel chief Ken Griffin sold a Michigan Avenue penthouse for $16 million.

The owners of the sole remaining Stone Manor condo, which occupies one-third of the mansion's third floor, "know I'd like to buy it," Trahan said, "and I'm sure they'll come to me when they want to sell."
As the owner of more than two-thirds of the homeowners association, Trahan has the legal right to force a sale of the remaining unit. "I wouldn't do that," she said. "They're nice people."

Even at almost $16 million spent and more to go, Trahan said she is "absolutely getting a bargain. In the Hamptons, people spend $40 million to buy a mansion and tear it down." Trahan, who is married to Chris Albrecht, CEO of the Starz cable network, formerly lived in New York and summered at the Hamptons, she said.

..."I'm used to Hamptons numbers, Manhattan numbers,"
She and Albrecht live in a Santa Monica home that they bought for more than $7.1 million in 2016. Trahan said that home is temporary while they spend $18 million building a new home in Pacific Palisades. "That's for 12,000 square feet," Trahan said. "At Stone Manor, my first floor is 12,500 square feet."

If Trahan puts all the pieces of Stone Manor back together, it will be the first time the mansion has been used as one property since 1964, when it was first divided into condominiums.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:12 PM

Not necessarily specific to Chicago, but what are some thoughts on the three democratic candidates for governor and how do they compare to Rauner? No one in the running has wowed me, personally.

Biss is back on the "LaSalle St. Tax" and suggesting we rethink our Amazon bid. There's definitely some sense in reevaluating the costs/benefits of the HQ2 pursuit, but the LaSalle St. tax is ridiculous IMO.

Pritzker has been a positive social force IMO, but he's also got his baggage. People raked Rauner over the coals for wearing flannel shirts, but he doesn't even have half the wealth that Pritzker does. If Rauner is too wealthy to relate to average people, how can Pritzker?

Kennedy is anti-Madigan/machine, which I can respect. He's probably the most moderate of the three democratic hopefuls. His baggage is pretty much identical to Pritzker. Both are obscenely rich and gaming the property tax racket.

Don't think I need to cover Rauner. Ives is a nonfactor.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 8:54 PM
Adoptive Chicagoan

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
Not necessarily specific to Chicago, but what are some thoughts on the three democratic candidates for governor and how do they compare to Rauner? No one in the running has wowed me, personally.

Biss is back on the "LaSalle St. Tax" and suggesting we rethink our Amazon bid. There's definitely some sense in reevaluating the costs/benefits of the HQ2 pursuit, but the LaSalle St. tax is ridiculous IMO.
The LaSalle St. Tax is worse than ridiculous, it would destroy Chicago. Okay, that may be a little hyperbole, but it would be a rather crushing blow to a core Chicago industry, likely driving the exchanges out of the City and State and with them all the spin-off companies they generate. I can name dozens of startups just off the top of my head that are here because they were founded by traders or other people affiliated with the exchanges - people who would leave Chicago if the exchanges did, people with a lot of money that does important financial things for the entire area.

What's wrong with Pritzker? I hope you're not believing that Rauner-backed ad implying that Pritzker was doing something nefarious with Blago?

I got to see Pritzker speak several weeks ago, and I know several people who are close to him because of their involvement with 1871 and I've only heard great things about him:

Photo by me
[/SIZE]

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:12 PM

I'm not opposed to Pritzker. Ideally there'd be someone who wasn't a multi-millionaire or billionaire. I'm off Biss. I'm on the fence with Kennedy and Pritzker.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 9:44 PM
devout Pizzatarian

looks like were gonna have to choose between a turd sandwich and a giant douche.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 11:00 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by IrishIllini View Post
I'm not opposed to Pritzker. Ideally there'd be someone who wasn't a multi-millionaire or billionaire. I'm off Biss. I'm on the fence with Kennedy and Pritzker.
Can’t you see through Pritzker?

He’s clearly the “Keep the machine establishment in power” candidate, with Speaker Madigan at the helm.

Sorry. If I’m going to vote for a Democrat, I’d take Biss or Kennedy over him.

Otherwise, Rauner is a God-awful politician, but at least he won’t raise my taxes and probably won’t do something silly like a LaSalle St tax.

Anybody that is an enemy of Madigan is probably good for Illinois right now, with the exception of Rahm Emanuel. Rahm is probably the best we can do for Chicago right now

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 11:00 PM
1st Ward

A trading tax would be the stupidest, literally STUPIDEST thing any Illinois politician could do. They would literally kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Best case scenario, the exchanges and trading houses move to NW Indiana. Worst case scenario they leave the metro all together.

I can't believe we are talking about this AGAIN.

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 11:01 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post
A trading tax would be the stupidest, literally STUPIDEST thing any Illinois politician could do. They would literally kill the goose that lays the golden egg. Best case scenario, the exchanges and trading houses move to NW Indiana. Worst case scenario they leave the metro all together.

Remove the words “trading tax” in your post and replace with “rent control”, and it would still be a true statement

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by left of center View Post

Biss has always scared me. This makes him completely unacceptable. If Kennedy we're a proponent of pot legalization, regulation and taxation I would probably fully back him.

Last edited by Vlajos; Feb 4, 2018 at 6:12 PM. Reason: Spelling

Old Posted Feb 2, 2018, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by the urban politician View Post
Can’t you see through Pritzker?

He’s clearly the “Keep the machine establishment in power” candidate, with Speaker Madigan at the helm.

Sorry. If I’m going to vote for a Democrat, I’d take Biss or Kennedy over him.

Otherwise, Rauner is a God-awful politician, but at least he won’t raise my taxes and probably won’t do something silly like a LaSalle St tax.

Anybody that is an enemy of Madigan is probably good for Illinois right now, with the exception of Rahm Emanuel. Rahm is probably the best we can do for Chicago right now
I'm leaning towards Kennedy. I'm not against Pritzker, but I don't think he's "my guy." The relationship with Madigan is my biggest turnoff with him. I don't care about the call with Blago. That jailbird probably hit up every donor in and outside Illinois after the 2008 election . Nearly anyone with political aspirations would have taken that call. I think Pritzker has done a lot of good and he seems like a smart guy. I wouldn't be upset to see him become Governor.

It's hard to say who stands a better chance against Rauner. I think the Rauner-Pritzker ads are going to be nasty. Rauner-Kennedy as well, but less so.

I wanted to like Biss, but I just can't get there. I think he could easily lose to Rauner anyway. I could see him struggling in most suburbs and downstate.

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 7:13 AM

Biss sat down with Crains for an interview. He says Chicago ought to drop out of the race for Amazon, and start taxing the financial firms on Lasalle street more.

http://www.chicagobusiness.com/artic...on-hq2-lasalle

Edit: I see it was already brought up. But wow, what a kook. From what Kennedy said, he's not too fond of Amazon either. Thankfully Pritzker is a big favorite anyway

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 1:10 PM

biss seems cool and good

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 5:32 PM

Get 2 know your candidates!!

Biss and Priztker support repeal of rent Control ban

So far Biss is 0 for 2 in my book; support trading tax and support rent control

As the March gubernatorial primary approaches, two candidates have now expressed support for repealing Illinois's Rent Control Preemption Act—a 1997 law that prohibits municipalities from enacting any form of regulation on residential or commercial rent prices. This week state senator Daniel Biss and wealthy businessman J.B. Pritzker spoke in support of a house bill that would lift the ban and allow local governments to grapple with the issue of rent control. Biss has also committed to introducing a companion bill in the senate early in the upcoming legislative session.

The Rent Control Preemption Act was a piece of legislation championed by the ultraconservative American Legislative Exchange Council (ALEC) in state legislatures around the country in the late 1980s and 90s. It overrides municipalities' "home rule" powers and forbids any unit of local government to "enact, maintain, or enforce an ordinance or resolution that would have the effect of controlling the amount of rent charged for leasing private residential or commercial property."

Old Posted Feb 4, 2018, 6:01 PM
The City

^ That’s all I need to know.

But any Democrat is of course going to say they are “for” rent control. The real issue is whether such a Bill would ever land on the Governor’s desk.

I’m guessing rent control would decimate Speaker Madigan’s property tax appeal business, so.....

Old Posted Feb 5, 2018, 6:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kenmore View Post
biss seems cool and good
Biss is a Stalinist who believes in state power. Kennedy and Pritizker are Olagarchists who would have our country run the way Russia is.

That is all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Midwest