HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 3:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MonctonRad View Post
Sprawl my ass.........
I know your angry about this but dang, your final words did make me laugh!

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 5:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Taeolas View Post
Sadly, Facebook seems to be filled with a lot of people who don't like change. They like things just the way they are now, or even better, just the way they remember it years ago.

Saw a lot of talk like that on the Freddy FB threads too, especially talking about the Rookwood project.
I guiltily admit to following a few of the local "breaking news" FB groups, because they DO manage to often be on the cutting edge of things like accidents, closures, etc.

That said, they're chock-full of ignorance and poor reading-comprehension and indecipherable grammar sometimes. I lurk, but there's not much reason to post there.

As far as this development goes, I'm all for it, but am growing confused as to where all the appetite for this expensive housing is coming from... house sales are extremely healthy lately but how can the numbers of immigrants could keep up?

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 6:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post

I don't know, seems like the type of development that could cannibalize a lot of downtown growth potential.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
I don't know, seems like the type of development that could cannibalize a lot of downtown growth potential.
Agreed. This is what Ashford should be building downtown. I'm just afraid by the time they get to it, the population boom will be over and we'll still be stuck a downtown of parking lots.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:16 PM

Quote:
Some of the comments on Mayor Dawn Arnold's Facebook page about the Mapleton Park Place proposal are laughable.

- "but think about all the trees and animals"
- "seems like a lot of low density and sprawl to me".

#1 - there are already lots of trees and animals in NB
#2 - this development is within the city's municipal service boundary, and is south of the TCH
#3 - this will arguably be one of the densest parts of the city at build out. Lots of mid rise apartment and condo buildings in the 6-8 storey range, wide sidewalks, narrow roadways, and a preplanned trail system.

Sprawl my ass.........
That doesn't mean it isn't sprawl.

Old Posted Feb 6, 2020, 7:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by David_99 View Post
Agreed. This is what Ashford should be building downtown. I'm just afraid by the time they get to it, the population boom will be over and we'll still be stuck a downtown of parking lots.
With the money Ashford Group has invested, I'd be surprised if they sit on all the land they've acquired downtown. That being said, I think the development there will be a slow process. Basing this on the CBC interview with Jim Dixon when the deal was announced. The first thing I think we'll see is the old Paramount theater building being demolished and something developed in it's place. Dixon did state that he liked the model of ground floor commercial and residential above. I just hope it's something with some height to it and not another 2 floor building.

Old Posted Feb 7, 2020, 1:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Good CBC summary of the current status of the "Vision Lands"

Moncton's Vision Land dreams get boost as company pitches major development
Cordova Realty plans mixed-use buildings six to eight floors tall in city's northwest
Shane Magee · CBC News · Posted: Feb 06, 2020 6:02 PM AT | Last Updated: 3 hours ago
https://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/new-b...ment-1.5454756

Although this is a good summary, the article doesn't tell us anything we didn't already know.

Quote:
Originally Posted by NBNYer View Post
I agree, this is a risk, but this really depends on how quickly Cordova intends to build out their Mapleton Park Place project.

Cordova has a lot of irons in the fire now, including Mapleton Park Place, all the land they purchased on the Twin Oaks Drive extension (also planned for apartment buildings) and The Current (the 10 storey two building project planned for where the Chocolate River Station is in Riverview). Cordova can only do so much at any given point in time, and I fully expect build out of their Vision Lands project may take as long as 15-20 years.

If progress on these Cordova projects is spread out long enough, this shouldn't act as an impediment on densification of the downtown core. I also think that downtown living appeals preferentially to certain demographics (empty nesters and young childless professionals). I'm confident that as long as the city keeps on working on improving the amenities in the core, that residential development and densification will follow.

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 2:27 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

New Francophone K-8 School - Eastern Vision Lands, off of Leopold Belliveau & McLaughlin:

Location Map

Site Plan

Rendering

Old Posted Feb 13, 2020, 12:16 PM

It's interesting that they put two sports fields in the render. L'Odysee is practically across the street and has two sports fields of its own.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 4:00 PM

thats quite a large k-8 school.. So .. the gvt is building daycares now as well? I was under the assumption they just subsidize daycares wages i didnt know they owned any. Is this the norm?

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 4:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

I wasn't sure what to make of the "garderie" either. I'm not aware of any other attached daycares in other schools (anglophone or francophone) in the region. Is this a test case? Will this daycare be fully government funded??

I agree this school seems to have an impressively large footprint, but Ecole le Sommet, the new Ecole Champlain and Ecole Antoinine Maillet in Dieppe all follow the same plan of sprawling low rise buildings on large lots, so this must be a feature that the francophone school districts favour. The English district seems to favour more compact buildings. The new MHS and Maplehurst Middle Schools are both three storey buildings for example.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 5:53 PM

I thought I would post the High school populations for kicks. I was under the impression that L'Odyssee was the largest but I guess not.
L'Odyssee - 936
RHS - 1096
MHS - 1250
Mathieu-Martin - 1025
Bernice McNaughton - 838
HTHS - 900
LJR - 667
JMA Armstrong - 720
Clement Cormier - 504
Caledonia High School - 270
Tantramar Regional - 452....they all play football apparently.

Quote:

I wasn't sure what to make of the "garderie" either. I'm not aware of any other attached daycares in other schools (anglophone or francophone) in the region. Is this a test case? Will this daycare be fully government funded??

I agree this school seems to have an impressively large footprint, but Ecole le Sommet, the new Ecole Champlain and Ecole Antoinine Maillet in Dieppe all follow the same plan of sprawling low rise buildings on large lots, so this must be a feature that the francophone school districts favour. The English district seems to favour more compact buildings. The new MHS and Maplehurst Middle Schools are both three storey buildings for example.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:11 PM

Quote:

There is some daycare in other french schools, in Dieppe anyway, but they are registered as a Not-for-profit organization and I believe all four of them are managed by the same organization. Not sure what the agreement is with the school district for the use of the space in those schools though.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tmacdougall View Post
I thought I would post the High school populations for kicks. I was under the impression that L'Odyssee was the largest but I guess not.
L'Odyssee - 936
RHS - 1096
MHS - 1250
Mathieu-Martin - 1025
Bernice McNaughton - 838
HTHS - 900
LJR - 667
JMA Armstrong - 720
Clement Cormier - 504
Caledonia High School - 270
Tantramar Regional - 452....they all play football apparently.

JMA must have grown a lot since I was there in the 90's Seems to me there was only 300 or so students there at that time.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 6:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
JMA must have grown a lot since I was there in the 90's Seems to me there was only 300 or so students there at that time.
Just checked wikkepedia where I'm assuming you got those numbers. The number used there includes Salisbury Middle School, even on the schools website is lists 594 which still includes students from grade 5-12. Taking that into consideration, I would say JMA would be less than half that number, probably in the 250-280 range.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:34 PM

Quote:
New Francophone K-8 School - Eastern Vision Lands, off of Leopold Belliveau & McLaughlin:

Location Map

Site Plan

Rendering
What is your source? I know the school was announced, but I can't find these plans anywhere...

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by benvui View Post
in 1980/1981 I WAS in grade 10 at Trimble. HTHS Had around 1400. MHS had 1650. BMHS, taught trades only and had 500 or 600 maybe. I am not sure about Riverview, the town was much smaller then.

Last edited by PEI highway guy; Feb 15, 2020 at 3:04 PM.

Old Posted Feb 14, 2020, 7:51 PM
Wildcats Rule!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patapouf26 View Post
What is your source? I know the school was announced, but I can't find these plans anywhere...
Moncton PAC agenda for February - available online.

There are more images available from the enclosed documents. I only posted the ones I thought were most pertinent.

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 2:11 AM
Wildcats Rule!!

Nice photo of the new Day & Ross facility going up on Frenette in the Caledonia Industrial Park

found on Retail Talk & Share

Old Posted Feb 15, 2020, 2:27 PM

Is L'Odysee and Le Mascaret really that overcrowded that they need to build such a huge school so close to it?

The Francophone school district must have a lot of pull that the Anglophone one doesn't, because they have no problem getting new schools built. Meanwhile there are 5 English schools looking to get replaced by 2 larger schools and it doesn't seem like that will happen anytime soon.

Dieppe could also probably use a new Anglophone school since Lou Macnairn is supposedly very overcrowded. I personally don't see that happening all.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Atlantic Provinces