HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 5:45 AM

According to the article BBVA is only moving its Austin area employees to the new building(s). It's not a corporate HQ move or even a U.S. HQ move.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:56 AM

Good lord that article was so poorly written I felt like I was having stroke reading it.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 12:32 PM

Another rumor that Disney is buying up land?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:15 PM

I swear, it's like that thing was written by algorithm. It's not even like it's English-as-a-second-language stuff. Totally blogging by madlib.

BBVA had an actual announcement on its corporate page back in December. It's a bit clearer. SPOILER: the tower is mostly residential, with about 120k sq ft of office.

https://www.bbva.com/en/bbva-usa-tak...wntown-austin/

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by We vs us View Post
I swear, it's like that thing was written by algorithm. It's not even like it's English-as-a-second-language stuff. Totally blogging by madlib.

BBVA had an actual announcement on its corporate page back in December. It's a bit clearer. SPOILER: the tower is mostly residential, with about 120k sq ft of office.

https://www.bbva.com/en/bbva-usa-tak...wntown-austin/
It appears the article was google translated from this one:

https://www.eleconomista.es/empresas...uira-otra.html

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:41 PM

oooooh we should have a rumor thread.

1. yes i know it will be 90% bs and incorrect

but some of us have legitimate inside info and would happily leak "hints"

for instance, did you know there is an district/area/planned MUD in Austin we all know that is going to be rebranded under a new name this quarter? We will have to change the name of the thread!

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 2:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Armybrat View Post
Another rumor that Disney is buying up land?
Do tell more...are they looking to build a theme park or is it for a back-office use?

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Do tell more...are they looking to build a theme park or is it for a back-office use?
I’ve heard this rumor for years.....San Marcos was always mentioned, it would be a theme park.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 3:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by urbancore View Post
I’ve heard this rumor for years.....San Marcos was always mentioned, it would be a theme park.
Every city has heard this rumor.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 6:55 PM

May or may not be related but it's a big question who will be the real owner of Project Catalyst and its 97 acres now zoned for 160 foot buildings.

If we're talking a true mega expansion, this is already zoned for 4 million square feet of office space or 20,000 jobs. Such as things go, there's always opportunity a few years later to push for more density and height.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 7:49 PM
Voice of the Modern World

I shared that BBVA link because there was something interesting in it. In the article BBVA claimed that over half their revenue and business comes from Texas.

I know they're currently based in Birmingham but keep those pinups ready because BBVA seems like the type of company that could eventually relocate their HQ there. But I guess even if they do, it'll likely go to DFW. We all know how much TX governor Abbott cradles DFW in his arms when he's pitching TX to out of state companies.

Old Posted Jan 14, 2020, 8:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by N90 View Post
I shared that BBVA link because there was something interesting in it. In the article BBVA claimed that over half their revenue and business comes from Texas.
I found this little nug when I was noodling around on their wikipedia page:

Quote:
On August 21, 2009, in a Federal Deposit Insurance Corporation-supervised transaction, BBVA Compass acquired the deposits and other core assets of Guaranty Bank of Austin, Texas, which suffered from bank failure. The deal gave BBVA Compass a presence in California and expanded an existing presence in Texas.[12]
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/BBVA_USA

They've actually got a lot of touch in Austin, turns out. Not an entirely unnatural fit if they wanted to centralize ops in TX.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 3:53 PM

Accenture just leased leased 22k sqft downtown...no exact employment numbers given for the new office....but typically you can assume 200 sqft per person....so something like 100+ "new" jobs for downtown.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-historic.html

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 4:06 PM
Bollywood Fanatic

Quote:
Accenture just leased leased 22k sqft downtown...no exact employment numbers given for the new office....but typically you can assume 200 sqft per person....so something like 100+ "new" jobs for downtown.

https://www.bizjournals.com/austin/n...-historic.html
Is this a tease that someone Accenture serves in a big way is coming here?

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 4:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LiveattheOasis View Post
Is this a tease that someone Accenture serves in a big way is coming here?
Don't think so. As a former ACN employee, I can tell you the size of the office is always WAY less than the # of employees they have in a city since it's a hotelling style office (you're only in the ACN office MAYBE A day a week). The biggest Austin ACN employee likely ever was Steve Rohleder (former COO), who is retired and founded his own thing now. New CEO Julie Sweet I believe is in NYC. Their biggest ops in Austin relate to consulting services provided to the State government.

Old Posted Jan 16, 2020, 10:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WhiskeyTango View Post
Ha! This is how it always starts.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 2:59 AM

Quote:
Heard a rumor to expect a BIG announcement this year (sooner than later) from a major employer. I know more, but can’t say.

If it goes down, needless to say, Austin skyline will never be the same (I know).....again. Hoping on hope.
Don't take this the wrong way but I don't see how this kind of speculation is helpful or useful.

You say you know more, but can't say. So what are we supposed to do here? What's the point of this thread?

Austin is growing fast enough that major employers are bound to invest in it. So how does your "tip" move the needle in any way?

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by enragedcamel View Post
Don't take this the wrong way but I don't see how this kind of speculation is helpful or useful.

You say you know more, but can't say. So what are we supposed to do here? What's the point of this thread?

Austin is growing fast enough that major employers are bound to invest in it. So how does your "tip" move the needle in any way?
I second this. It’s just annoying more than anything.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 4:11 AM

See post #5 in the thread. That was urbancore's intent for this thread. His speculative post about a big jobs announcement was originally posted in the Update thread. But then came a shit ton of other posts related to that one which were more appropriate for this this thread than the Update thread. So I moved them here.

EDIT: I changed the thread title hoping it helps us get back on track.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Jan 17, 2020 at 5:19 AM.

Old Posted Jan 17, 2020, 5:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by deerhoof View Post
I second this. It’s just annoying more than anything.
I get it....I hear bs rumors all the time that I don't post. I posted this mainly to see if anyone else heard something too.....maybe they could divulge more than I could, or maybe they could debunk it.

Rumors can be very interesting and I think post worthy in general....(of course not all of them....that's why I said "BIG") A lot happens behind the scenes before a big announcement is made, many people know more than we do....months or years before we do.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin