HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 9:39 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I think I know the solution: federal money.
Have the liberals ever funded any of MB’s highway projects?
Nah the current Liberal govt. would rather fund highway projects in other countries on the Canadian taxpayer dime!

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 9:45 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

I've always thought that, once TCH is completely grade-separated in MB, the section west of Winnipeg can achieve a speed limit of 120 kph.

(That means Ontario drivers like me will hit 145 kph then, hehehehe.)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dengler Avenue View Post
I've always thought that, once TCH is completely grade-separated in MB, the section west of Winnipeg can achieve a speed limit of 120 kph.

(That means Ontario drivers like me will hit 145 kph then, hehehehe.)
The speed limit on I-29 in North Dakota (except through Fargo) is 75 mph (121 kph). So if it was fully limited access I can't see why not.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:23 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by rrskylar View Post
Nah the current Liberal govt. would rather fund highway projects in other countries on the Canadian taxpayer dime!
So here's the sad thing:
When the feds are blue, nobody gets much fund for infrastructure projects because the cons need to save money.
When the feds are red, only the places that have gone red will get that money.

Places that always go blue are always eff-ed. (Excuse my language.)

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:25 PM
Road Engineer Wannabe

Quote:
Originally Posted by Curmudgeon View Post
The speed limit on I-29 in North Dakota (except through Fargo) is 75 mph (121 kph). So if it was fully limited access I can't see why not.
On the other hand, they have speed bumps (albeit the very smooth type) on I-29 to make sure people don't go 90 mph (145 kph)...

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:25 PM

Quote:
Believe me I’ve driven in the EU, UK and ROI and some of the roadways with 100K speed limits would be 60, 70, 80 here. Obviously you couldn’t have the speed limit any higher than 100 on the perimeter here because of the piss poor design and the high number of stupid drivers but no way the major Manitoba roads can’t be 110 and 120 on the divided roadways.
You can't as long as dangerous intersections remain (no turning lanes). There are standards that have to be achieved to have the speed limit raised to 110. TCH East doesn't quite meet them.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:37 PM
There is always a way

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
You can't as long as dangerous intersections remain (no turning lanes). There are standards that have to be achieved to have the speed limit raised to 110. TCH East doesn't quite meet them.
It totally could. Honestly. In Ireland they have like barely one lane wide twisty windy roads between two stone fences where the speed limit is 90. I think we can handle it.
Federalist #10, James Madison

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:38 PM

Accident at Gateway and Chief Peguis last night.

80 km/h zone, so people averaging closer to 90, going through an intersection with traffic lights and no advance warning on CPT that the signal is going to change.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by optimusREIM View Post
It totally could. Honestly. In Ireland they have like barely one lane wide twisty windy roads between two stone fences where the speed limit is 90. I think we can handle it.
Average speed seems to be over 110 anyways.

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 10:57 PM

The roads are not safe enough to warrant a speed limit in excess of 100 km/h.

Even that stretch of 75 south of Morris is not safe enough to be posted as 110 because of the very dangerous intersections at 14 and esp. at Letellier as 75 curves there limiting visibility. Trucks are often crossing the highway unsafely and somtimes sitting in the median. I've seen a couple of near misses there that would certainly have been fatal. Plus, the shoulders on 75 are inadequate along most of the highway.

All rural roads in the province are 90 unless otherwise posted , even washboard gravel roads, where 90 would probably put the car in the ditch. In the U.K., the motorways are 70 mph and that's multiple lanes and full limited access.

Even in the city there needs to be rationalization of speed limits. Example, Marion and Goulet are 60 which is too fast for those streets as both have numerous driveways, curb parking, traffic lights and are both bus routes with a fair amount of pedestrian traffic...yet Concordia east of Panet is 50?

Old Posted Nov 2, 2018, 11:09 PM

Quote:

80 km/h zone, so people averaging closer to 90, going through an intersection with traffic lights and no advance warning on CPT that the signal is going to change.
That really is unfortunate to hear. This is the problem with "expressways" that should have interchanges of some sort, to mitigate these kinds of accidents...or at the very least have advanced warning light changes. I have only driven down CPT a handful of times; why aren't there advance warning lights there?

Quote:
The roads are not safe enough to warrant a speed limit in excess of 100 km/h.

Even that stretch of 75 south of Morris is not safe enough to be posted as 110 because of the very dangerous intersections at 14 and esp. at Letellier as 75 curves there limiting visibility. Trucks are often crossing the highway unsafely and somtimes sitting in the median. I've seen a couple of near misses there that would certainly have been fatal. Plus, the shoulders on 75 are inadequate along most of the highway.

All rural roads in the province are 90 unless otherwise posted , even washboard gravel roads, where 90 would probably put the car in the ditch. In the U.K., the motorways are 70 mph and that's multiple lanes and full limited access.

Even in the city there needs to be rationalization of speed limits. Example, Marion and Goulet are 60 which is too fast for those streets as both have numerous driveways, curb parking, traffic lights and are both bus routes with a fair amount of pedestrian traffic...yet Concordia east of Panet is 50?
Yeah, the concordia one is confusing. No consistency in certain parts of the city.

the UK example isn't a fair one though - people used to drive faster, but the advent of speed cameras to make money has become the trend there for the past 10-15 years and keeps getting worse. They make a lot of money from the speed cameras. The recent additional ones on the M1 were claimed to facilitate the traffic rush and gridlock by implementing - "enforcing" - slower speeds for constant traffic flow, but they really did it for the moolah it brings in.

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 1:27 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Real piss poor design there with the AT Bridge obscuring the view of the intersection and signal lights,

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 1:30 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
100 to 110 hardly makes a difference, 6 MPH! Drivers here are more the problem than speed limits, most people drive between 110 and 120 on the TCH east of the city!

Old Posted Nov 3, 2018, 2:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Believe me I’ve driven in the EU, UK and ROI and some of the roadways with 100K speed limits would be 60, 70, 80 here. Obviously you couldn’t have the speed limit any higher than 100 on the perimeter here because of the piss poor design and the high number of stupid drivers but no way the major Manitoba roads can’t be 110 and 120 on the divided roadways.
West perimeter everyone drives 120. Trust me. And the worst intersection they have they left open. Where the cement trucks can cross all 4 lames and they do all day long. Yet there is a service road to the lights in front of John Deer dealership.

South is always a basket case. Worst is between Pembina and St Mary’s. 110 people driving and over the bridge on the red and boom. Stopped traffic from the turn lane and lights.

East perimeter probably the safest from 59 and back to 59.

North because of pipeline is dangerous. But have to serve those tax evasion homes on the north side.......

But TC is pretty much all 110 posted now. Everyone drives 120-125 with ease.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2018, 3:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bluenote View Post
East perimeter probably the safest from 59 and back to 59.
That section, by the numbers is far more deadly than that south Perimeter almost entirely because of Gunn Rd. And that is deadly is in publicly reported deaths. The south Perimeter may have more collisions but doesn't register a lot of deaths.

Also not sure it has been mentioned here but Pembina though Roblin on the Perimeter has most of the uncontrolled access points closed. A handful of right in-right out ones remain for now.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 1:59 PM

I know this isn't news as such, but in the articles about the recent reduction of lanes on the South Perimeter Bridge due to cracks that were found in the bridge decking, reference was made to the bridge having been built in 1958. On some level it is comical to think that here we are, 60 years later, with a CMA nearly double what it was back then and probably closer to 3x as many cars on the road, and it's still the same old 2-lane bridge and road, with no firm upgrade plans in sight.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 2:51 PM
What could go wrong?

I believe that bridge deck was redone only a few years ago. It had cracking issues shortly after completion.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 3:30 PM

I heard the contractor used the wrong rebar and had tear it all out and replace it as a deficiency. It ended taking like 3 years; I vaguely remember being annoyed about it, as a motorist.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 3:35 PM

The design called for fibre reinforced concrete deck. But they forgot to put the fibres in... There were lawsuits. Not sure where that went. But yes, they ripped it out and re-done it back probably 6-8 years ago now.

Old Posted Nov 19, 2018, 4:32 PM

I don't understand how you could mess up a detail like that. I can't order a metre of concrete without a mix design statement submitted, on projects where it doesn't really matter, nevermind a bridge.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan