HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:42 AM

That hotel is a dump and a lot more could be done with that spot. Maybe they should turn it into some sort of office space and have a cafe at the bottom to serve the courthouse employees.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 3:12 PM

I was thinking residential units there. 130 or so hotel rooms could easily become 60 or so efficiency, 1 and 2 bedroom apts.

On a different note, it looks like BoA Plaza will gain about 200 employees with a new lease just signed. I know its just a drop in the bucket at this point with AT&T gone, but 50,000 sq. ft. isn't too bad... 2, maybe 3 floors?. I also like this part of the article: (taken from Bizjournals.com)
Quote:
Down points out that the downtown building was competing against some suburban office properties for the GSA’s attention.

“And downtown won out,” he adds.
cake and keep it, too.
- Harlan Douglass, The Suburban Trend, 1925

Last edited by miaht82; Jul 27, 2009 at 3:24 PM.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 5:52 PM

So the new tenant is government related somehow and will serve Ft.Sam and its new development. There really weren't too many logical choices (equivalent to BofA) nearby and there were likely incentives offered. A small victory, but much needed for downtown.

The idea of turning the Riverwalk Plaza into office space doesn't make any sense. No one is going to add space to an area that is struggling to lease.

I agree that it would be a nice spot for residential. However, it is functioning as a hotel because there is that segment of the market that is willing to stay at a "dump".

It seems that the SA hotel market is feeling the recession (probably pretty hard), and that people who actually are traveling and would normally choose the cheaper hotel now have more options in their price range because other hotels have had to drop prices.

Has the Aloft on Houston St. actually started? If not, does it go forward in this market?

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 7:14 PM

I thought office space with attorneys in mind. Residential would be ok, but maybe just tear the building down and make it green space. I really have never liked the property and never will...it is U G L Y.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2009, 9:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
So the new tenant is government related somehow and will serve Ft.Sam and its new development. There really weren't too many logical choices (equivalent to BofA) nearby and there were likely incentives offered. A small victory, but much needed for downtown..
I'm glad someone's putting it(logic) to use. I know we're far from seeing a new office tower go up in DT but we'll take what we can get.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kornbread View Post
I agree that it would be a nice spot for residential. However, it is functioning as a hotel because there is that segment of the market that is willing to stay at a "dump".

It seems that the SA hotel market is feeling the recession (probably pretty hard), and that people who actually are traveling and would normally choose the cheaper hotel now have more options in their price range because other hotels have had to drop prices.

Has the Aloft on Houston St. actually started? If not, does it go forward in this market?
Probably not in today's market. But just as it took a while for it to catch up to SA, I see SA crawling out of the hole before most of the country does. I guess we'll just have to wait and see what the current developments on Houston St. show. I, of course, think the Aloft will go forward... but thats just me, and probably only me.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 10:43 PM
COGSADCAJA- Publicist

http://blogs.mysanantonio.com/weblog...wntown-st.html

H-E-B isn't building a downtown grocery store. At least not anytime soon. And not on South Flores Street.

Hope for a downtown grocery store peaked recently over rumors that H-E-B purchased the Ricos Products Co. property at 621 S. Flores St., a block west from its own headquarters at the former U.S. Army arsenal at 646 S. Main Ave.

The rumors are true. H-E-B did purchase the property. But the transaction took place at least a couple of years ago, according to H-E-B.

The plan is for Ricos (specifically Liberto Management Co., Inc.) to relocate to South Presa Street, across the street from the former Pig Stand, and for H-E-B to use the building as office space — not a grocery store, H-E-B confirmed through its marketing firm.

It's a pity it's not happening because if there was a near-downtown location that would make complete sense it would be on South Flores Street near Durango Boulevard. Such an H-E-B would serve residents of downtown, Southtown, Lavaca and So Flo and beyond going south. And the West Side is pretty much next door.

A couple of footnotes: Ricos celebrates 100 years of business this year (despite what the sign says). And the former Pig Stand will return soon as a burger joint. The pig is staying put, according to a reputable source.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 1:12 AM

Oh well...
I still think something is going to happen in the next 3-5 years, maybe not on that property, but somewhere in DT. The closest store to the center of town (Main Plaza) is probably the Commerce/Rosillo store, then the Nogalitos store. The Nogalitos store, although I could be wrong about this, is probably one of the smaller stores left inside of 410. You would think that at some point, HEB would pull a Deco distict, or a McCreless with either of the 3 closest stores.
Although not technically inside the central loop, the area near Nogalitos is set to gain about 500+ residents with the Artisan @San Pedro Creek nearing completion. Add this to the Vistana residents and Victoria Commons #'s and suddenly the area has 1500+ more bodies near Center City.
I think right now we don't see a large gain of residents, with the Vistana not at capacity, but once these larger-scale projects get completed and filled(and started, is it October yet?) there will be a noticeable difference in the streets.

BTW, Durango Phase of Victoria Commons is already halfway complete with the first floor of Bldg. 1. I'll be taking some update pics in DT on Monday or Tuesday if anyone is interested for a meetup.
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Jul 29, 2009, 2:35 AM
Loving SA 365 days a year

That site may not be planned for a store right now but it's a perfect location for one downtown and I wouldn't be shocked once the downtown residential numbers go up there will be one there.

Old Posted Jul 30, 2009, 5:40 PM

The U.S. General Service Administration signed a 10-year lease for 50,000 square feet at the Bank of America Plaza in downtown. They will use their new space to regulate and disperse medical records for the armed forces.

More juice for more residential demand.

P.S. The BoAP building has about 90,000 sq ft less than the Tesoro HQ
AND IT'S 28 STORIES!

Old Posted Jul 31, 2009, 4:21 PM

Aztec Theatre to reopen Aug. 21

by B. Olivo from DTblog on mysa.com

Quote:
It was scheduled for a grand ole' reopening last summer. A year later, the historic Aztec Theatre, 104 N. St. Mary's St., is finally ready to reopen as a country music venue.

The theater's production company announced today opening night as Aug. 21 at 7 p.m. with San Antonio Rose Live, a performance of classic country hits featuring a 10-piece band consisting of musicians from Texas, Tennessee and Missouri.

The debut show is scheduled to run 7 p.m. Fridays through Mondays, with Saturday matinées at 2 p.m. Tickets range $20-$49 and can be purchased at saroselive.com.

The Aztec Theatre has been unoccupied since December 2007 when it closed as a IMAX-style movie theater. It has since undergone a $6 million renovation. More details in the coming weeks
It may seem insignificant to some, but we can add 1 more to the list of things under "Entertainment in DT"
cake and keep it, too.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 1:29 AM
Paradise

Does anybody know how far off those neighborhood developments are inn River North?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 1:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
Does anybody know how far off those neighborhood developments are inn River North?
Not too sure, I believe the 1221 is set to resume/start in Oct.
Embassy Suites - Riverwalk

Embassy Suites - View from behind Morris Apts.

Neisner/Townplace Suites

Durango Phase of Victoria Commons

before image

Justice Center Expansion

East View

East - Southern View

Artisan @ San Pedro Creek looks to be getting interior finish-out done now. Shouldn't be long before people move in.
The new Liberty Bar is finally getting some action. I believe the switch-out is supposed to happen in Jan.?.
Still don't know what is at corner of Bowie/Houston.
cake and keep it, too.

Last edited by miaht82; Aug 6, 2009 at 3:31 AM.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 3:09 AM
Paradise

please.

I know that the River North Center will be highrise and I like the idea of Madison Square Park but I don't know the cities time span of these projects.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 4:15 PM
Paradise

At least some progress is being made downtown. Is the Broadway supposed to be done later this year? I was thinking maybe December.

Here is that rendering of the River North Center. I don't know how old it is(maybe a year or a couple) but it's max height is 200'. I wonder if anything has actually been proposed or if that is too far off.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 7:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Alice93 View Post
At least some progress is being made downtown. Is the Broadway supposed to be done later this year? I was thinking maybe December.

Here is that rendering of the River North Center. I don't know how old it is(maybe a year or a couple) but it's max height is 200'. I wonder if anything has actually been proposed or if that is too far off.

Me likely.

Where'd you find that rendering?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:00 PM
Paradise

It was part of a presentation of River North. I was just really hoping that it would get built. I saw the height restrictions for it and thought it had potential.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:11 PM

Which presentation?

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:35 PM
Paradise

It was in this PDF. 30.46 MB

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 9:44 PM
James

I was wondering when you were going to post those photos Miah. But I really like that rendering, nice find alice.

Old Posted Aug 6, 2009, 10:15 PM

River North Center is an area of River North. The area below:

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio