HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 9:06 PM

I hope it might be a truly good authentic Italian restaurant...would like more options besides Taverna. Not knocking Taverna, just want more choices.

Old Posted Jun 10, 2019, 11:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by prairieguy View Post
I hope it might be a truly good authentic Italian restaurant...would like more options besides Taverna. Not knocking Taverna, just want more choices.

Primal or Bar Gusto?

Old Posted Jun 11, 2019, 5:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Echoes View Post
Signage advertising "La Cucina Ristorante" in Red Pepper's former spot on 3rd Ave (they're now 2 doors down). Looks like renovations are ongoing inside, but I wish they'd do something with that vile faux stone façade.
It also says "by Luigi" under the sign........and I've seen Luigi (the server from Taverna) around that block recently. If he's involved, that'd be great news.

Old Posted Jun 12, 2019, 9:14 PM
the heat goes on

Old Posted Jun 13, 2019, 2:59 AM

Prairie Sun

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
Wow! Sounds like a great addition to the city. Also :Brewery tours, market deli.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 1:57 PM

Went to the Black Birch Deli for the first time yesterday, for lunch. Ordered a pastrami sandwich and a pop, but here's the kicker -- that cost $20! Ridiculous! Anyway, having never been there before, I gave them the benefit of the doubt, thinking it might be a monster of a sandwich. No, it was tiny -- not much meat. The sandwich was fine (tasty, but nothing special), but very small. If my lunch had been $10, I would have been ok, I guess, but at $20 it was so so so so overpriced. Total ripoff.

They seemed a little busier than The Woods ever was, which is good, but it wasn't crazy for a lunch hour rush. If they can only survive by selling tiny $20 lunches, I don't see them lasting long. Their menu seems interesting, and there's other stuff I'd try, but I could make a sandwich just as good for 1/5th the price, so meh.

Old Posted Jun 25, 2019, 4:50 PM

Mountain Equipment Co-op set to arrive in Saskatoon

Old Posted Jul 2, 2019, 7:09 PM

St. Tropez Bistro is adding a new venture, Parlor, to its 2nd Ave location. Based on the address given (236) and checking on Google streetview, it looks like this will be on the building's 2nd floor. The restaurant is addressed as 238.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 4:25 PM

Five new eateries to call Broadway home this year

There's a buzz of activity on Broadway: five new food-related businesses will be in the neighbourhood this summer. For the Broadway BID's executive director, it's an exciting time.

THIA JAMES, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX Updated: June 27, 2019

This summer, no less than five new food-related businesses are expected to open on Saskatoon’s Broadway Avenue.

It’s a sign of an exciting time for the Broadway area and DeeAnn Mercier, executive director of the Broadway Business Improvement District (BID).

So far, three of the five have already opened their doors: Ace Burger, Beppi’s Gelato and Odla, a restaurant and market. Two more businesses are expected to open soon, including one restaurant, Kashmere and the Prairie Sun Brewery.

Mercier attributes the interest in investing in the area to Broadway’s reputation. A lot of businesses want to come to the neighbourhood and are looking for the right space and right opportunity, she said.

[........]

Read more:
https://thestarphoenix.com/news/loca...en-this-summer

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 6:38 PM

Burning Beard...or Tavern Something...was closed again over the weekend! Not sure if it is opening again or not...that spot seems to struggle, yet it also seems to be a great location. With Ace Burger and Prairie Sun Brewery opening soon, could be hard for another "burger pub" to make a go of it.

Old Posted Jul 3, 2019, 7:19 PM

Seems to me like an ongoing issue with ownership more than anything. Also the place sucked.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2019, 2:37 PM

I'm not sure if it's still the case, but don't the same people own the Caesar Mill in Martensville? That place is pretty great so it's weird that in a spot like they're at on Broadway can be such a disaster in comparison.

Old Posted Jul 11, 2019, 5:45 PM

New Faces New Places: Shelter Brewing Company always has something new on tap

ERIN PETROW, SASKATOON STARPHOENIX Updated: July 6, 2019

There is always something new to discover with each pint at Shelter Brewing Company.

The nano brewery — meaning each batch only produces one and a half barrels — has been open since late November and is known for its ever-rotating selection of beers, many of which are crafted using local flora not commonly seen in brewing.

“Our whole idea is prairie-inspired beers so we try to have one rotating tap of something that has been wild crafted or something that is grown locally,” said Sarah Cooney, who owns and operates the brewery alongside her partner Stuart Thomson.

[........]

Read more:
https://thestarphoenix.com/business/...ing-new-on-tap

Old Posted Jul 15, 2019, 4:25 PM

Saw this new restaurant was opening in the Midtown - assuming there will also be some new faces in the food court once it opens on July 25th.

http://www.pi-co.ca/this-is-pi

Old Posted Jul 16, 2019, 10:16 PM

A shout out to Saskatoon as Hottest New Foodie Destination in Forbes magazine!

https://www.forbes.com/sites/sandram...M#1d8ad9c97896

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 6:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino35 View Post
Saw this new restaurant was opening in the Midtown - assuming there will also be some new faces in the food court once it opens on July 25th.

Looks like Saskatoon will be home to their first location outside Ontario.

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 2:03 PM

Quote:

Shops in the new food court:

Subway
Extreme Pita
Mia Pasta
Opa
Manchu Wok
Pi Co Pizza
Edo
Umi Sushi (they have the best poke bowls btw)
Booster Juice
A&W
KFC
Taco Time
TCBY
Bourbon St. Grill
Nwe York Fries
Dairy Queen/ Orange Julius

Rumour has it Tim Hortons is staying where it is somehow? But I also saw that Midtown had plans for a coffee shop by the new entrance on the west side, so not sure on that one.. With Second Cup opening it's first location downtown, maybe it will be another Second Cup (since cheaper franchises typically sign 3 build contracts).

Old Posted Jul 17, 2019, 8:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by roryn1 View Post
Rumour has it Tim Hortons is staying where it is somehow?
According to a comment by Midtown on the Midtown Common Food Hall Grand Opening event page on Facebook: "Tim Hortons and Crêpe Delicious will be staying in their current spots on the main level."

https://www.facebook.com/events/2324...tab=discussion

Old Posted Jul 25, 2019, 10:43 PM

I checked out midtown common today and really love the open space and big windows. It really is a nice addition to the Midtown. But I wasn’t a big fan of how they left the cement ceiling, seems somewhat unfinished to me.

Old Posted Jul 26, 2019, 12:37 AM

Quote:
I checked out midtown common today and really love the open space and big windows. It really is a nice addition to the Midtown. But I wasn’t a big fan of how they left the cement ceiling, seems somewhat unfinished to me.
Yeah it had a very trendy loft style vibe to it. Lots of seating and a couple new restaurants. I wish it was more of a food hall like are popping up in some of the bigger cities where the food is more restaurant quality vs traditional food court fare.

Major changes coming for the mall obviously, weird seeing new areas open and the old food court closed off. They’ve closed off the entrance from the parkade that used to pop up in front of Shoppers. Not sure if they will be adding another mall entrance down at that end somewhere or if everyone needs to walk to the main entrance now.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan