HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 6:29 PM
ARTchitecture

Ohhh alright. I thought the plan was to build it on top. But that would be a further expansion, right? They put up this part, then build the hotel tower along with a much small section of convention space to adjoin to what is already going up?

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 7:02 PM

With equipment/offices and work taking place could this thread be edited to "Under Construction?

Excavators are in the process of removing the parking lot as we post.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 7:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post
With equipment/offices and work taking place could this thread be edited to "Under Construction?

Not that the title matters at all, but construction as per SSP regulations isn't official until the building starts rising above grade. So once the foundation is poured, piles go in, and then the first floor is made, then you can request "Construction" status.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 7:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cyrodill View Post

Dare I propose champagne as this represents the actual, physical removal of a MAJOR surface parking lot from downtown?

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 7:37 PM
ARTchitecture

Is that really SSP regulations? The only forum that actually follows that guideline is the BC/Vancouver section. Hell, Toronto lists their buildings as UC before the shovel is even in the ground. I'd say once heavy work starts it is construction, but at least once piles are driven, that should certainly be construction. I think even Vancouver says once excavation is complete and concrete pour starts, that is construction. I've never heard a single person (until now) say that UC is only after a building is above grade.

Mohkínstsis — 1.6 million people at the Foothills of the Rocky Mountains, 400 high-rises, a 300-metre SE to NW climb, over 1000 kilometres of pathways, with 20% of the urban area as parkland.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 7:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post
Dare I propose champagne as this represents the actual, physical removal of a MAJOR surface parking lot from downtown?
Yes Miniari, I coudn't agree more ,one lot to be eradicated!

Sorry that SSP regulations forbid me to say it was under construction as an expert has pointed it out to me.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 7:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Chadillaccc View Post
Is that really SSP regulations? The only forum that actually follows that guideline is the BC/Vancouver section. Hell, Toronto lists their buildings as UC before the shovel is even in the ground. I'd say once heavy work starts it is construction, but at least once piles are driven, that shuld certainly be construction. I think even Vancouver says once excavation is complete and concrete pour starts, that is construction. I've never heard a single person (until now) say that UC is only after a building is above grade.

Thx for clarifying that for me Chad.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 7:47 PM

Quote:
Is that really SSP regulations? The only forum that actually follows that guideline is the BC/Vancouver section. Hell, Toronto lists their buildings as UC before the shovel is even in the ground. I'd say once heavy work starts it is construction, but at least once piles are driven, that should certainly be construction. I think even Vancouver says once excavation is complete and concrete pour starts, that is construction. I've never heard a single person (until now) say that UC is only after a building is above grade.
Hey, only re-iterating what I was informed of by a moderator when I asked the same question. I agree with you, but those are the "Rules". I personally don't care either way.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 7:57 PM
ARTchitecture

I know. I wasn't being rude or judgey, just saying my feelings and observations on the matter. Sorry if I coneyed rudeness!

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 8:34 PM

It was a simple question. Maybe a MOD on "Our" boards will clarify the reg.? Not that it means anything? It appears "some" posters want to moderate, I've been told many times that's a no, no by Many posters.? Hey what do I know ..I'm not a "MOD".

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 9:31 PM

Quote:
I thought this rule came about surrounding the debacle on fourth in Calgary which was a pit for so many years and having a few starts and stops that the mods became gun shy with the title "Under Construction" but either way we know this is going ahead and it is very exciting.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 9:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by skysthelimit View Post
i thought this rule came about surrounding the debacle on fourth in calgary which was a pit for so many years and having a few starts and stops that the mods became gun shy with the title "under construction" but either way we know this is going ahead and it is very exciting.

exactly.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 9:53 PM

Pretty sure I've seen some other threads with "SITE PREP" as the status of the project. Seems fitting here. Denotes that there's action happening but not full on construction of the building.

Old Posted Jul 4, 2013, 11:55 PM
I am a typical

The rules for the diagram system state the building must have a completed foundation and be rising above grade for the status of "Under Construction".

Within the forums, I think it is up to local moderators.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 3:08 AM

As much as I would like to see surface lots put to better use I am not cheering for developments that are reducing available parking after completion while also increasing demand. This is not a sustainable practice and will catch up to us sooner than later if Winnipeg keeps allowing it. Cheering on the removal of surface parking lots it sort of similar to saying we should get rid of all the substations downtown as they are ugly and lead to dead blocks. Both parking and substations are important infrastructure pieces that are needed to make a successful community.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 3:45 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CoryB View Post
As much as I would like to see surface lots put to better use I am not cheering for developments that are reducing available parking after completion while also increasing demand. This is not a sustainable practice and will catch up to us sooner than later if Winnipeg keeps allowing it. Cheering on the removal of surface parking lots it sort of similar to saying we should get rid of all the substations downtown as they are ugly and lead to dead blocks. Both parking and substations are important infrastructure pieces that are needed to make a successful community.
So are proper Bike Lanes, Rapid Transit, Car Pool Specific Locations, and Shuttle Locations. But there don't seem to be any of these locations downtown. (Except Assiniboine Avenue).

I would say that we have bigger problems than lack of parking at the moment or any time in the future. The single person car is a phenomenon that will soon switch to more efficient means of space.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 4:49 AM
ARTchitecture

Quote:
Originally Posted by vid View Post
The rules for the diagram system state the building must have a completed foundation and be rising above grade for the status of "Under Construction".

Within the forums, I think it is up to local moderators.
Maybe that is the rules, but obviously not what is followed. Vancouver's Turn (Trump Vancouver) has been listed as UC since they re-started excavation last year. It only reached grade a few weeks ago. I can cite dozens of other precedents, including Heritage Landing, Centre Pointe, and Glass House.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 1:25 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
There will be approx 150 parking stalls included in the new addition replacing the lost stalls of the old parking lot.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 2:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
There will be approx 150 parking stalls included in the new addition replacing the lost stalls of the old parking lot.
Yes, the convention centre expansion included parking, unlike Project W, the issue though is 150 spaces is less than what was there before and that parking lot was often full, even on weekends. The additional convention centre space is hoping to attract more people, which in turn means more cars yet the amount of space available has decreased.

Also just because other things are currently lacking downtown as chrisallard5454 points out that does not mean we should turn a blind eye to what is going to make downtown a vibrant community long term.

Old Posted Jul 5, 2013, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Yes, the convention centre expansion included parking, unlike Project W, the issue though is 150 spaces is less than what was there before and that parking lot was often full, even on weekends. The additional convention centre space is hoping to attract more people, which in turn means more cars yet the amount of space available has decreased.

Also just because other things are currently lacking downtown as chrisallard5454 points out that does not mean we should turn a blind eye to what is going to make downtown a vibrant community long term.
And yet our most vibrant community, with possibly the largest constant population is Osbourne Village. It manages to be so without an abundance of parking. How many parkades exist in the Village? How many parking lots exist, outside of private resident lots and Safeway? There may be a few, but nowhere near the amount that is downtown.

Winnipeg still seems to have a lot more parking lots than any other Canadian city I have been to, so you really have nothing to worry about.

If worst came to worst and every lot was developed (which would be a godsend for me personally) then the city would just be forced to come up with better transit services to people who currently drive.

Oh, and Glasshouse is building a five story parkade, so there is the offset that you are looking for.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan