HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
I find this statement hilarious, because I actually know the developers personally, and they're standard (though quite successful) McMansion developers.

I'm sure Randy is glad to know that his townhouses, the exact same template they're doing in sprawly burbs like Northville, are "one of the most urbane blank-slate projects in the country". Apparently he's a marketing genius.
I keep re-reading this post and I can't figure what the fuck it is you're even trying to say. The redevelopment of Brush Park has a wonderful human-scaled, walkable form, admirable density, and decent architecture. It's contextual to what little remains of the area and even incorporates stunning, renovated gilded-age mansions right into the new urban fabric. Who gives a FUCK if the developers are doing McMansions and townhomes in other parts of the metro. This development is OBVIOUSLY a different story.

I'm really holding my tongue here Crawford. Your illogical Detroit bashing is pervasive and tiring. I really wish you would stop posting.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 2:44 PM

Guys, Brush Park City Modern = exact same template they're doing in sprawly burbs like Northville LOOLOLOL

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:29 PM

He's making some bizarre case that because Bedrock subcontracted Hunter Pasteur homes for construction that somehow suddenly makes it suburban regardless of the architecture firms in LA, Boston and Detroit who designed it.

He's also the same person who's been fawning over that suburban NJ mall boondoggle that's been a failure for a decade now, funny what he picks and chooses to root for, nothing makes sense in Crawford-Narnia.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by uaarkson View Post
I keep re-reading this post and I can't figure what the fuck it is you're even trying to say. The redevelopment of Brush Park has a wonderful human-scaled, walkable form, admirable density, and decent architecture. It's contextual to what little remains of the area and even incorporates stunning, renovated gilded-age mansions right into the new urban fabric. Who gives a FUCK if the developers are doing McMansions and townhomes in other parts of the metro. This development is OBVIOUSLY a different story.
I have no problem with Brush Park. Anything is better than vacant lots.

The claim was that it was one of the greatest urban developments in the U.S., which is positively hilarious, given that Hunter Pasteur (the developers, of which I personally know two of the three founders) is building the exact same stuff in Northville Township (which, if anyone knows Metro Detroit, is the epitome of McMansionland).

Quote:
I'm really holding my tongue here Crawford. Your illogical Detroit bashing is pervasive and tiring. I really wish you would stop posting.
I have no doubt of this. Irrational boosters, whether for cities, politicians, religion, etc. hate reality, and would like to shut everyone else up.

When you call McMansion townhomes one of the greatest urban developments in the U.S. (and on land that formerly had highrise urban living, no less), you kinda lose any remaining shred of credibility.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
He's making some bizarre case that because Bedrock subcontracted Hunter Pasteur homes for construction that somehow suddenly makes it suburban regardless of the architecture firms in LA, Boston and Detroit who designed it.

He's also the same person who's been fawning over that suburban NJ mall boondoggle that's been a failure for a decade now, funny what he picks and chooses to root for, nothing makes sense in Crawford-Narnia.
North One is apparently living in bizzaroland. What "suburban NJ mall boondoggle that's been a failure for a decade now" are you referring to, and what's the relevance, and why are you making up stuff about H-P's architects (which are in-house, and based in suburban Detroit)?

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:46 PM

Quote:
Guys, Brush Park City Modern = exact same template they're doing in sprawly burbs like Northville LOOLOLOL
Laugh all you want, it's true. In fact the Northville development will be significantly larger and units will be significantly pricier. But that's because Northville is truly one of the most urban towns in the U.S., because townhouses...

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...nts-townhouses

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:48 PM

Quote:
This was my point. You know what that regional "high tech job growth" is, right? Who do you think is buying all those sprawly McMansions?

Auto industry employment is up something like 40% in the last decade. Few of those jobs are in factories or with the Big Three in any capacity. It's overwhelmingly jobs with suppliers and engineering firms, mostly in Oakland County along I-696/I-275.

You cannot discuss Detroit's fortunes without taking stock of the industry's fortunes.
True but there has been a big surge over the past 4-5 years in the number of tech jobs in Detroit itself.

"In Detroit’s technology sector things are even better, with a 26% growth in high-tech jobs in just the last three years."

https://select-resources.com/detroit...sector-growth/

Quote:
Thank you. Of course there's robust tech growth in Detroit, but it's tied to the auto industry, just as fintech growth is in NYC and the like. It isn't like the next Apple is being birthed in some suburban Detroit split-level, rather, the existing hometown bedrock industry spawns tech growth (since tech nowadays is fundamental to everything).
I'm not saying the next Apple will come out of someones mom's basement in Plymouth but if there is to be a revolution in mobility like many predict then Detroit is well placed to be the center of a revolution that could redefine cities and how most of us get from point a to b.

Says the pot to the kettle in a moment of self projection

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 4:58 PM

Quote:
Laugh all you want, it's true. In fact the Northville development will be significantly larger and units will be significantly pricier. But that's because Northville is truly one of the most urban towns in the U.S., because townhouses...

https://www.crainsdetroit.com/articl...nts-townhouses
Now you're just being retarded. You're comparing some vague development that doesn't even have public renderings available, to a major high-profile project in the heart of the core of the region. A development that is replacing vacant land and bringing a destroyed neighborhood back to life.

Again, the checklist for Brush Park is something like this

*New, WALKABLE blocks of townhomes and apartments
*Corner lot streetwalls restored, with ground floor retail
*Gilded age mansions restored and melded into the new fabric
*Conforms to the old street grid
*No surface parking lots or above-ground parking structures, only on-street, alleyway or underground parking

There's more, but nothing this urban has been done in Detroit since any of us were born. I don't give a fuck about the contractor or whatever garbage they're planning to do in some far flung suburb. It's not important, this IS. And I just gave you a bunch of reasons why. Orleans Landing is a contrived, faux-urban development. This one just isn't, no matter how much you apparently wish it was.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 5:09 PM

I don't know if it is the best in the nation, but damn looking at the thread for it-700 square feet for $250,000? Damn! Is any part of it marked for affordable/market rate housing? (nevermind, saw that 20% are for affordable housing)

I do think it looks good though, especially with over 400 units in such a relatively small area.

It would be nice if they expanded that to infill the rest of Brush Park. I wish we had more stuff like this in my city-our Jeffrey Park is a bit like this...but not as good.

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 5:31 PM

[MODERATOR NOTE] Please debate civilly. . . name calling will not be tolerated. . .

. . .

Old Posted Mar 12, 2019, 5:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by toddguy View Post
It would be nice if they expanded that to infill the rest of Brush Park.
They are, a bunch of other developers are rushing in with their own projects, all designed by great firms with underground parking and starting construction this year. There's also the Brewster Douglass project that's been in planning for a while, it's a 300+ million development with over 900 units. Most of the developments also come with a good deal of affordable housing.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 10:32 AM
Midwest Moderator - Editor

Quote:
Originally Posted by The North One View Post
They are, a bunch of other developers are rushing in with their own projects, all designed by great firms with underground parking and starting construction this year. There's also the Brewster Douglass project that's been in planning for a while, it's a 300+ million development with over 900 units. Most of the developments also come with a good deal of affordable housing.
Brewster-Douglass

Brush House

Brush + Watson

James Place Lofts

112 Edmund

2827 John R

115 Alfred

The Kelemen

There is a ridiculous amount of thoroughly modern stuff planned for or under construction in Brush Park.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 2:51 PM
devout Pizzatarian

^ NICE!

what an exciting time for the motor city.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 4:09 PM

All of that infill would be considered quality in any American city.

Old Posted Mar 13, 2019, 9:10 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

Quote:
Originally Posted by Steely Dan View Post
^^ @ hammersklavier: that's a really interesting take.

And very different from how gentrification tends to work in chicago, where the great blue blob of wealth just keeps expanding outward along established el line and commercial street corridors.

That's probably why it's been so hard for me to see how detroit is gonna keep the urban revitalization ball rolling out into the neighborhoods without those semi-intact commercial corridors.

Thanks for giving me a new way of looking at the situation.
I'd say the el here, and the commercial corridors, seem to function as a platform for investment, but that -- because they have larger lots -- they tend to lag new-construction infill in neighboring parts of town. Oftentimes revitalization in Philly will start to take a pincers-like look, where the resi on either side of a commercial corridor starts to get fixed up well before the corridor itself. Girard Avenue here, with substantial new construction on either side but the corridor itself languishing, is fairly typical. My biggest worry is that hurried new construction on commercial corridors would mirror what happened along this stretch of Aramingo, where suburban schlock cleaves in two what should be unified redevelopment.

That said, this fully-intact commercial corridor, for example, lies in one of the poorest parts of Philadelphia. I don't think there are very many examples of analogues in Detroit.
Quote:
I find this statement hilarious, because I actually know the developers personally, and they're standard (though quite successful) McMansion developers.

I'm sure Randy is glad to know that his townhouses, the exact same template they're doing in sprawly burbs like Northville, are "one of the most urbane blank-slate projects in the country". Apparently he's a marketing genius.
This statement is hilariously insane. It insinuates that somehow this ...

... is suburban because its developer is renowned for McMansions such as these:

The position is demonstrably nonsense.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Last edited by hammersklavier; Mar 13, 2019 at 9:44 PM.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 2:16 AM

As someone who has followed Detroit development for the better part of two decades, what has surprised me the most has been the scale of business investment in the core. While I realize there is a back to the city trend of people and businesses leaving the suburbs for a more urban environment, I think the pace of the businesses leaving the suburbs for downtown Detroit is shocking. The only other metro that I follow that has seen a similar crush of companies leaving the suburbs for the urban core is Chicago.

To be honest, I'm not sure to what degree this is happening in other metro areas. Detroit has seen seen Ford, Coyote Logistics, Microsoft, Google, LinkedIn, Benzinga, Campbell Ewald, Amazon, TaTa technologies, Accenture, Chemical Bank, Fifth Third Bank, Ally Bank, Adient (until the new CEO cancelled those plans), Lear, Compuware, Galaxe Solutions, Quicken Loans, Rosetti Architects, Plante Moran, Title Source, Gas Station TV, Chrysler, Molina Healthcare, Skidmore Studio, and more collectively bring over 20,000 new workers to the core city. Has any other metro of a similar size seen such a huge reinvestment into it's core city?

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:01 AM
The New Republic

It's happening across Canada/US but it's especially nice to see it happening in Detroit.

- Greetings from The Six.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 2:06 PM
The City

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind field View Post
As someone who has followed Detroit development for the better part of two decades, what has surprised me the most has been the scale of business investment in the core. While I realize there is a back to the city trend of people and businesses leaving the suburbs for a more urban environment, I think the pace of the businesses leaving the suburbs for downtown Detroit is shocking. The only other metro that I follow that has seen a similar crush of companies leaving the suburbs for the urban core is Chicago.

To be honest, I'm not sure to what degree this is happening in other metro areas. Detroit has seen seen Ford, Coyote Logistics, Microsoft, Google, LinkedIn, Benzinga, Campbell Ewald, Amazon, TaTa technologies, Accenture, Chemical Bank, Fifth Third Bank, Ally Bank, Adient (until the new CEO cancelled those plans), Lear, Compuware, Galaxe Solutions, Quicken Loans, Rosetti Architects, Plante Moran, Title Source, Gas Station TV, Chrysler, Molina Healthcare, Skidmore Studio, and more collectively bring over 20,000 new workers to the core city. Has any other metro of a similar size seen such a huge reinvestment into it's core city?
It's all a lie.

I know a guy who knows a guy who doesn't think this is happening, I can give you his email address.

https://www.youtube.com/channel/UC4W...lUKB1w8ED5bV2Q

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mind field View Post

I'd say this trend is happening across the country, though perhaps it's more pronounced in Detroit due to so many companies leaving the core in past generations. Given the urban preferences of young people today, having an urban core office is a major recruitment tool. Young people don't want to work at some suburban campus, I guess outside of Silicon Valley lol.

Old Posted Mar 14, 2019, 4:47 PM
DENNAB

Sorry but I had to

Video Link

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions