HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 5:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by iheartthed View Post
Only a history book can explain why you're wrong.
Ahh the next most common response, educate yourself!

So, I'll just assume you don't know what you're talking about as much as you might think you do and you don't know what you don't know. We can move on.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 1:54 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Crawford View Post
Pretty sure you argue everything just for the hell of it.
The pot calling the kettle black. What you call arguing is more like setting the record straight from Crawfordian nonsense.

Quote:
I lived in Mexico, for three years, and never saw a burrito for sale outside of American restaurants. My wife, who is 35, and lived most her life in Mexico, had her first burrito in the U.S. No one in her family has eaten a burrito.
You never saw a burrito for sale in Mexico? Wow, how small was your bubble? I don't doubt that your 3 year experience there isn't true. However, in the very first restaurant I found in Mexico City, burritos and tacos are on the menu. There's a review on the front page of Trip Advisor raving about the shrimp burrito.

It doesn't matter if burritos aren't for sale in central in Mexico City, they're found elsewhere in Mexico. It's a Mexican cuisine, with a long history in Mexico. They even go by different names in different geographical regions of Mexico.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 6:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jtown,man View Post
Ahh the next most common response, educate yourself!

So, I'll just assume you don't know what you're talking about as much as you might think you do and you don't know what you don't know. We can move on.
You could have answered your own question with a simple Google search:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_colonialism

The Age of Exploration is when European kingdoms, led by Spain, realized that if they sailed too far west they wouldn't fall off the face of the planet. After that realization, Spain and its neighboring kingdoms began funding explorations to any and everywhere, and then claiming those newly "discovered" lands as property of their kingdoms.

This was a critical period in history for western Europe and the world. Before Spain set off the colonialism race between itself and its neighbors, western European kingdoms were at best second tier powers. By setting off on these conquests (ever heard of the conquistadors???), which no one else really cared about at the time, western European kingdoms flipped the balance of global power to western Europe from Asia, Africa, and eastern Europe.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 9:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sun Belt View Post
The pot calling the kettle black. What you call arguing is more like setting the record straight from Crawfordian nonsense.

You never saw a burrito for sale in Mexico? Wow, how small was your bubble? I don't doubt that your 3 year experience there isn't true. However, in the very first restaurant I found in Mexico City, burritos and tacos are on the menu. There's a review on the front page of Trip Advisor raving about the shrimp burrito.

It doesn't matter if burritos aren't for sale in central in Mexico City, they're found elsewhere in Mexico. It's a Mexican cuisine, with a long history in Mexico. They even go by different names in different geographical regions of Mexico.
I think I read somewhere that "burritos" are common in northern Mexico (especially Sonora) where flour (wheat) tortillas are dominant. "Tacos" originated in southern Mexico, where corn tortillas are dominant. I like them both. I agree with Pedestrian--I don't care for burritos stuffed with beans and rice ( a little inside the burrito is OK, but no more than 1/4th the volume). I prefer the beans and rice on the side. The best burritos have just meat and some salsa, hot sauce, cilantro, guacamole, a dab of sour cream and some chopped lettuce, tomato and onion (but not too much as to overwhelm the meat). A good burrito should be large, and a meal in itself. The meat can vary--grilled and marinated pork (carnitas), beef steak or chicken. The meat should be in tender chunks, NOT ground (as commonly served in tacos). Serve with a cold beer, Dos Equis amber being a good choice. Delicioso. Enjoy.

Last edited by CaliNative; Mar 3, 2019 at 10:24 PM.

Old Posted Mar 3, 2019, 10:27 PM
Dryer lint inspector

In 1907, Juan Gonzalez Hernandez Bell founded Taco Bell in a sleepy village near Hermosillo.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 12:46 AM

Quote:
You could have answered your own question with a simple Google search:
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/History_of_colonialism

The Age of Exploration is when European kingdoms, led by Spain, realized that if they sailed too far west they wouldn't fall off the face of the planet. After that realization, Spain and its neighboring kingdoms began funding explorations to any and everywhere, and then claiming those newly "discovered" lands as property of their kingdoms.

This was a critical period in history for western Europe and the world. Before Spain set off the colonialism race between itself and its neighbors, western European kingdoms were at best second tier powers. By setting off on these conquests (ever heard of the conquistadors???), which no one else really cared about at the time, western European kingdoms flipped the balance of global power to western Europe from Asia, Africa, and eastern Europe.
So no other nation other than European countries colonized around the world? They are the only ones, ever?

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 2:44 AM
Dryer lint inspector

Quote:
So no other nation other than European countries colonized around the world? They are the only ones, ever?
On the scale of Europe? Not even close. The prevalence of French, English, Spanish and Portuguese as dominant languages throughout Asia, Africa and the Americas is testament to that.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 5:09 AM

I want me some hate talk now boys. Let's cut out the burrito b.s. All I want is for us to gauge how hated are Californians outside their pale. Let's get back to the hate talk please.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 5:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by JManc View Post
On the scale of Europe? Not even close. The prevalence of French, English, Spanish and Portuguese as dominant languages throughout Asia, Africa and the Americas is testament to that.
Of course, but I was responding to a person who said only Western Europe participated in colonialism and that's where people found out that there was a difference between white people and others.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 5:17 PM

Quote:
Of course, but I was responding to a person who said only Western Europe participated in colonialism and that's where people found out that there was a difference between white people and others.
You obviously didn't read the link I provided so you're just being a troll. The difference between colonization and colonialism was literally addressed in the first two sentences of the Wikipedia entry.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 8:48 PM

Quote:
You obviously didn't read the link I provided so you're just being a troll. The difference between colonization and colonialism was literally addressed in the first two sentences of the Wikipedia entry.
They are so damn close that makes little difference. I don't think the people in South Korea or Congo viewed their foreign occupiers any differently.

Old Posted Mar 4, 2019, 9:02 PM

Mouais... Obviously, that must be yet another American local thing.
Californians are cool to us Frenchies when we're actually over there, just as all Americans anyway.

They're grumpy at us when we're in our country, but when we travel in theirs, they're quite friendly.
I guess we French should do the same. Being gentle and welcoming to tourists and potential immigrants, while aggressive to strangers abroad.

It would be a bit mean, bitchy, however.

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions