HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 7:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Best Forumer View Post
It is a little different.
Based on the ground level site plan my hunch is the footing is octagonal to avoid the footings for the parking structure.

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 8:00 PM
Student

Can you explain this further for people who have limited construction knowledge?

Old Posted Oct 8, 2018, 10:56 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by Student View Post
Can you explain this further for people who have limited construction knowledge?
"Footings" is another word for foundations. The poster is saying the shape of the tower likely has been modified so it doesn't interfere with the four foundation elements you see surrounding it. The footings are those rectangles inside the red dashed lines. Probably reinforced concrete caissons, piers, or columns.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SteveD View Post
"Footings" is another word for foundations. The poster is saying the shape of the tower likely has been modified so it doesn't interfere with the four foundation elements you see surrounding it. The footings are those rectangles inside the red dashed lines. Probably reinforced concrete caissons, piers, or columns.
I believe they will be pile caps for auger cast piles. I got a quick look walking to publix the other night.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 12:38 PM
Back on the road again

Quote:
Originally Posted by MARTAisSmarta View Post
I believe they will be pile caps for auger cast piles. I got a quick look walking to publix the other night.
Yes, as to what they actually are, I'd need to refer to the structural and / or civil drawings. I'm a Civil Engineer, a P.E.

Old Posted Oct 9, 2018, 11:55 PM

A few thoughts on the buildings from today's Midtown DRC meeting:

903 Peachtree (8th and Peachtree). Pretty good overall. It's actually a relatively small site, since it doesn't include Bulldogs or the historic building at 8th and Juniper. It would bulldoze the Peachtree retail and the 2 story residential building along 8th. The parking podium is huge and it's not wrapped by residential. Retail on Peachtree looks great. Total height is a bit under 400 feet. 24 stories of residential above the large podium.

3rd and Spring. Another student apartment tower. This is probably the best of the bunch (compared to The Standard, University House, The Mark, etc). A more interesting facade, modeled after a circuit board. A basic L-shaped tower, but with a couple of unique overhangs, and a great retail treatment along both Spring and 3rd. Interestingly, the developer hinted that the parking deck between 3rd and 4th might get redeveloped (not as part of this project).

12th and Piedmont. 7 story condo building. This was a complete dud. Ground-level parking with no active use (a blank wall along most of both 12th and Piedmont). Boring facade. I have a feeling this is going nowhere fast without a major redesign, as it would be requesting multiple variances for height and encroachment on the required sidewalk width.

Side note - in both 903 Peachtree and 3rd and Spring, the developer hadn't included any retail parking, and someone from the DRC requested they include it, even saying "this isn't Chicago, we don't have good public transportation." It was super awkward because MARTA had a representative at the table, and bizarre that the DRC would be urging a developer to include more parking in such a transit-oriented walkable area. The DRC member specifically mentioned needed parking for restaurants for people who drive in from outside the city.

Last edited by shivtim; Oct 10, 2018 at 12:27 AM.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:12 AM

That’s a relatively disappointing update! Hah! VERY disappointing and unprofessional of that to be mentioned by Midtown DRC. Comes close enough to a reason that we should suggest they resign.

Any idea how much space the Ponce & 3rd development takes up? How much of that block? Very interesting about the parking deck maybe redeveloped.

8th & Peachtree I’m hoping has an interesting design. I’m not looking forward to it’s podium.

As for the condos, hoping they make some adjustments. That said, it’s only a few units and won’t have a major impact on the market either way if it’s built or not

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Street Advocate View Post
Any idea how much space the Ponce & 3rd development takes up? How much of that block? Very interesting about the parking deck maybe redeveloped.

8th & Peachtree I’m hoping has an interesting design. I’m not looking forward to it’s podium.

As for the condos, hoping they make some adjustments. That said, it’s only a few units and won’t have a major impact on the market either way if it’s built or not
3rd and Spring is pretty much just the NW quarter of that block. Still a huge amount of area for future development. 8th and Peachtree looked fine. Nothing amazing, basic glass tower. The podium is hulking but it was covered with fake windows and some red/orange material. Looked OK. Would be better if it were wrapped with apartments, but that would be really hard to do on such a small site. Piedmont condos will need to make huge adjustments. They mentioned they could go down two floors for parking, and add retail on the corner. I think renders of all three projects should come out soon.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:54 AM

It's going to be interesting how they develop the boundary with Bulldogs. That is a zero lot line, and probably 2' between the existing buildings. Thanks for the update.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 1:43 AM

Another tidbit from the Midtown DRC meeting is that apparently there is going to be a food hall on the northwest corner of 8th and Peachtree where the FDA building is now. No further details were shared, so not sure if this will be standalone or part of a larger redevelopment.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 3:51 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jwbab View Post
Another tidbit from the Midtown DRC meeting is that apparently there is going to be a food hall on the northwest corner of 8th and Peachtree where the FDA building is now. No further details were shared, so not sure if this will be standalone or part of a larger redevelopment.
Thanks for the update...very interesting news on the food hall...

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 12:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by shivtim View Post

Side note - in both 903 Peachtree and 3rd and Spring, the developer hadn't included any retail parking, and someone from the DRC requested they include it, even saying "this isn't Chicago, we don't have good public transportation." It was super awkward because MARTA had a representative at the table, and bizarre that the DRC would be urging a developer to include more parking in such a transit-oriented walkable area. The DRC member specifically mentioned needed parking for restaurants for people who drive in from outside the city.
Was the DRC member a platinum blonde woman, perhaps?

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:12 PM

DRC Renderings

Has anyone seen any renderings from the DRC meeting? I keep checking the ABC, Bisnow & AJC websites, hoping to catch a glimpse, but nothing yet on the proposals. I even checked Atlanta3000 Twitter page - just in case - and nothing.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DNR View Post
Has anyone seen any renderings from the DRC meeting? I keep checking the ABC, Bisnow & AJC websites, hoping to catch a glimpse, but nothing yet on the proposals. I even checked Atlanta3000 Twitter page - just in case - and nothing.
I took some pictures, however, they are not the best since I was standing in the very back. I can post them though if nobody has clear photos.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturner39 View Post
I took some pictures, however, they are not the best since I was standing in the very back. I can post them though if nobody has clear photos.

Yes please!!

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:36 PM

All these pictures are mine. I've never posted pics before, so hopefully I did this right.

903 Peachtree:
https://imgur.com/gkdaWjg

https://imgur.com/lVAbyyt

https://imgur.com/YV4okE6

3rd & Spring:
https://imgur.com/xQ3Ogrk

https://imgur.com/OVFtJnq

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tturner39 View Post
All these pictures are mine. I've never posted pics before, so hopefully I did this right.

903 Peachtree:
https://imgur.com/gkdaWjg

https://imgur.com/lVAbyyt

https://imgur.com/YV4okE6

3rd & Spring:
https://imgur.com/xQ3Ogrk

https://imgur.com/OVFtJnq
Thank You!--
Two very nice buildings (at least from the back of the room!)

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:43 PM

Dare I say the podium doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would? I like that it's glass and not stucco or some other cheap material. It blends in with the building fairly well.

The student tower looks interesting, but the materials could make or break IMO.

EDIT: And I can see why the folks in Metropolis are angry....these wide towers just destroy views....why can't we get tall and slim towers like most cities? There's gotta be something in the zoning for literally every developer to go for wide towers because it doesn't make sense why developers do slim towers in other cities and wide towers in Midtown Atlanta.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:47 PM

You're welcome! I thought they were very quality proposals, and the DRC seemed to really like them as well. They also asked for detailed information on the exact materials and pictures for the facade of the buildings.

Old Posted Oct 10, 2018, 2:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ant131531 View Post
Dare I say the podium doesn't look nearly as bad as I thought it would? I like that it's glass and not stucco or some other cheap material. It blends in with the building fairly well.

The student tower looks interesting, but the materials could make or break IMO.

EDIT: And I can see why the folks in Metropolis are angry....these wide towers just destroy views....why can't we get tall and slim towers like most cities? There's gotta be something in the zoning for literally every developer to go for wide towers because it doesn't make sense why developers do slim towers in other cities and wide towers in Midtown Atlanta.
Tall slim towers have more windows per sq ft and are more expensive to build and maintain.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Global Projects & Construction > City Compilations