HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions

Old Posted May 20, 2009, 4:24 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^allyrose.wordpress.com/

Last edited by MolsonExport; May 21, 2009 at 2:13 AM.

Old Posted May 21, 2009, 2:13 AM
The Vomit Bag.

^(re:crazy density) won't you please, won't you please. please won't you be...my neighbor.

Old Posted May 22, 2009, 3:09 PM

I don't know if this has been posted already, but I found an entire website on an expedition to Kowloon by a bunch of Japs.

It has some decent pictures, and despite the relatively poor English and annoying page backgrounds, it really gives you a good feel for the place.

http://web.archive.org/web/200202082...y/index_e.html

Old Posted May 25, 2009, 4:27 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^yes, I have read their account of their exploration, which took place just before the KWC was destroyed. I very much enjoyed the read, despite the poor grammar.

Old Posted May 26, 2009, 11:16 AM
if I sang out of tune

Quote:
Originally Posted by morfius View Post
... by a bunch of Japs.
grrrrr....

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 1:50 PM
The Vomit Bag.

well, it made it to 100K.

Old Posted May 27, 2009, 8:20 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Quote:
Originally Posted by muppet View Post
grrrrr....
I know....I don't like Japs either, but I guess they're necessary here and there.

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 4:40 AM
YIMBY co-founder

This thread is now 4th on google if you google for "Walled City of Kowloon"!

On topic: when will we see such density again? as many people living on a similar size area? will we ever?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 28, 2009, 6:58 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I think not. Ther WCK was just anomalous, in terms of being a bit of China smack dab in British-ruled Hong Kong. The closest thing to a functioning anarchy city-state. And all that went with this geographical accident, along with the never ending source of refugees from Red China needing a cheap place to lay their head.

Old Posted May 29, 2009, 12:27 AM
YIMBY co-founder

The land area of KWC was about 200 x 100m and the population about 35 000. In an area of 200x100m you could fit in 8 towers of about 80x40m. That would allow for quite a few appartments per floor - especially if the average (and median) sizes were small. So I actually think it would be doable. Not gonna happen in Europe, but maybe in one of the Asian megacities?
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 4:41 PM
The Vomit Bag.

^I just don't see it, as very few people would want to live in such density by choice. I could possibly envision a super-dense slum emerging in say, Mumbai or Lagos, but even so, I suspect that the density would not even half that of KWC.

Old Posted Jun 15, 2009, 6:53 PM
No grabbing my banana!

Such high densities are only feasible in situations where your hands are kinda tied. In other words, a bunch of people won't voluntarily live in one spot if they aren't forced to by various circumstances.

In the Walled City's case, it was the perfect storm. The city was in a sort of 'limbo' state in which it was technically controlled by China, yet it was not controlled in virtually any sense by Chinese authorities. And because British and Hong Kong authorities had no jurisdiction there, it became a sort of paradise for anarchy.

So the Triads and other gangs, people on the run from Chinese authorities, illegal immigrants, and others who were looking for haven all made their homes and businesses here. And unlike other small foreign regions that require identification papers to cross (military bases; consulates; etc.), the 'border' was completely free and unguarded. So residents of the Walled City weren't completely restricted to the stifling and dank corridors of the City, while still being able to live under no officially recognized authority.

But the term 'anarchy' only refers to the fact there were no officially recognized governments or authorities governing the City. It doesn't mean that it was a wild lawless place where anything could happen with no real consequences. Rather, my guess is that the Triads were the unofficial police of the City.

It was a mutual relationship for them. They needed a place of business that wasn't under the scrutiny of authorities, but they also needed this place to be stable enough to carry on their business with minimal muss and fuss. So they themselves did the policing of the City, with both actual policing and their reputation, in order to achieve this stability. In turn, this helped keep the City safe enough for the other residents to live and do their business without much fear.

So in reality, while many were forced to live in the Walled City out of necessity - running from the law; no official papers in either China or Hong Kong; no license to practice a profession in the Mainland or Hong Kong; etc. - they stayed and thrived there because it was safe and comfortable enough to make a life there. And more and more people came and did the same because the reputation of the City became stronger. It still probably wasn't a great place to live by any stretch, but under their circumstances with the Chinese or British government, it was the only place.

I really can't imagine such density occurring in Mumbai or other cities with big slums. Although the poor live in these slums because they can't afford anyplace else, the slums are not restricted to only a small parcel of land. Indeed, I've heard stories of slums surrounding the runways of Mumbai's airport. So these slums generally grow outwards, not upwards, as more people come to live in them.

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 11:30 PM

Where in Kowloon was the picture in post #221 taken?

Old Posted Jun 16, 2009, 11:50 PM

It's not normal for a city to be that dense.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 1:35 AM

Its ridiculously disgusting, but just as fascinating. I kinda wish it was still there. I would be there in a couple years.

Old Posted Jun 17, 2009, 1:41 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Juelz View Post
Its ridiculously disgusting, but just as fascinating. I kinda wish it was still there. I would be there in a couple years.
Well, good luck with that.

I can only imagine as to what it smells like. The look of the building seems to give the answer. It's must of smelt like elephant poo.....

Old Posted Jun 23, 2009, 9:56 AM

It seems that the Calgary public library has a couple of copies of the "In search of a Dragons Tale" documentary that is mentioned in this thread.

See <http://catalogue.calgarypubliclibrary.com/> and search on "In search of a dragons tale".

Sadly I don't live in Calgary...

Old Posted Jul 14, 2009, 5:17 PM
The Vomit Bag.

Model of Kowloon Walled City:

source: Jetsetcd http://www.flickr.com/photos/jetsetcd/3478545588/

Old Posted Jul 28, 2009, 5:18 PM
The Vomit Bag.

One thing that I can never figure out is how such a mass was never destroyed by fire, what with all the people, factories, and junk.

Old Posted Aug 2, 2009, 3:04 PM
Red October standing by

^ extreme vigilance?

-

-fflint

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > City Discussions