HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin

Old Posted Apr 14, 2019, 4:33 AM

For those of you who have Amazon Prime, the Daniel Johnston documentary The Devil And Daniel Johnston is available for streaming. He was/is an absolutely incredible talent. A genius almost destroyed by his mental illness. The 1980s Austin music scene is what helped make Austin famous, and he was part of that.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Last edited by The ATX; Apr 14, 2019 at 9:49 PM.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 9:02 PM
Meh

I hope everyone is paying attention to the weather tonight. It could get rough with big hail and wind.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 9:09 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

I love severe weather. I just hope it doesn't hail on my house or truck.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 9:23 PM
Representing the ATX!!!

I studied Meteorology when I was younger including starting college with the goal of becoming a Meteorologist, however while I excel in Science, ive never been great at math. I enjoy closely monitoring weather events like this and have in the past gone on storm chases, though in our case, would not get too close but rather stayed off beyond the storms. If the right conditions and setup occurs here or close to home and if I'm free I do go off to watch the storms initiate, sometimes heading as far north as Comanche. I enjoy seeing the initiation stages personally right as the atmosphere explodes with tremendous lifting. Seeing the nimbus towers rise and transform into anvils.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 11:00 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jdawgboy View Post
I studied Meteorology when I was younger including starting college with the goal of becoming a Meteorologist, however while I excel in Science, ive never been great at math. I enjoy closely monitoring weather events like this and have in the past gone on storm chases, though in our case, would not get too close but rather stayed off beyond the storms. If the right conditions and setup occurs here or close to home and if I'm free I do go off to watch the storms initiate, sometimes heading as far north as Comanche. I enjoy seeing the initiation stages personally right as the atmosphere explodes with tremendous lifting. Seeing the nimbus towers rise and transform into anvils.
I've always wanted to do some storm chasing. Closest I got was just covering those May floods a couple years ago.

Old Posted Apr 17, 2019, 11:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by lzppjb View Post
I love severe weather. I just hope it doesn't hail on my house or truck.
Me too, except during my firefighter years, I saw the direct results first hand including the tornado that tore through Jarrell in the 90s. I still drive a 2009 vehicle that bears the dents from that major hail storm that also ruined the roof on my house. Straight line winds have knocked over my privacy fence on a few occasions. So while severe storms can be exciting and perhaps wondrous, they sure can be a pain in the ass.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 1:37 AM
Meh

Oh, man, it better not knock down our fence. I just got finished last week repairing the one the property behind us (a commercial property) put up a few years ago that had started to pull away from the posts and fall back toward another one the new owners put up. I had to set three new posts and use our dolly to lift and pull it back into place.

Old Posted Apr 18, 2019, 3:42 AM
7th Gen Central Texan

Quote:
Originally Posted by KevinFromTexas View Post
Oh, man, it better not knock down our fence. I just got finished last week repairing the one the property behind us (a commercial property) put up a few years ago that had started to pull away from the posts and fall back toward another one the new owners put up. I had to set three new posts and use our dolly to lift and pull it back into place.
The fence I share with one neighbor is a POS. It's in a low spot that holds water, so of course the posts rot and start leaning. It's up, but wind will knock it right over like a couple years ago.

Old Posted Apr 22, 2019, 10:55 PM
7th Gen Central Texan

Just a random note: I've switched over to hosting photos on imgbb because they actually show up on my work computer. imgur gets blocked.

Old Posted Apr 25, 2019, 8:16 PM
Meh

Old Posted May 6, 2019, 2:20 PM
Meh

Just a heads up, Austin peeps, I killed a kissing bug this morning in our backyard in South Austin. I've come across these before in Hays County where I've killed about 10 of them there, but this was the first one I've seen in Austin. Anyway, they're here...

https://kissingbug.tamu.edu/?fbclid=...nqUiG7INDQHHIk

https://www.cdc.gov/parasites/chagas...5xVN3PkTzyk9qM

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 9:07 PM

Saw a revew of a new book, "Barton Creek" that traces the creek all the way back to its source. I think I need to buy it!

Old Posted May 12, 2019, 10:57 PM

It's an awesome day. Hopefully someone took some photos - especially of East Austin. We could use some uplifting development news.

Things will be great when you're downtown.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 8:46 PM

Sort of reconsidering where I want to live in Austin when I move out there in January. Do you guys any recommended areas of where I should look at? I'm mainly looking for a modern, 1 bedroom apartment for under $1400. Anything that finished within the past 5 years would be ideal. Thanks in advance

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 9:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gillynova View Post
Sort of reconsidering where I want to live in Austin when I move out there in January. Do you guys any recommended areas of where I should look at? I'm mainly looking for a modern, 1 bedroom apartment for under $1400. Anything that finished within the past 5 years would be ideal. Thanks in advance
How old are you? What kind of area do you want to live in? Where is your work? Need more more info than that to give a recommendation.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 9:45 PM

Quote:
Look up the Amli South Shore on Riverside.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chinchaaa View Post
How old are you? What kind of area do you want to live in? Where is your work? Need more more info than that to give a recommendation.
I'm 26 in the tech industry working on becoming a data scientist. I've been working as a data analyst in the Bay Area for the past 4 years. I've lived with my parents the whole time so I believe I've saved up a good amount of money to live by myself now. The COL in the Bay Area is so expensive and I want to venture out by myself somewhere. Austin seems like a perfect spot for me due to tech companies coming here and I absolutely love watching construction come up.

I was looking at The Domain thinking it would be nice to walk around my dog and have easy access to bars/restaurants to socialize. I saw some reviews of the apartments and it's now refraining me from moving there. I will still consider it though if I cannot find anything appealing.

I would prefer a place that has a nice scenery to walk my dog, close to bars/restaurants OR nature such as a park, lake or river. Something that is modern and nothing old too

Quote:
Originally Posted by freerover View Post
Look up the Amli South Shore on Riverside.
This place looks amazing due to its proximity to water and downtown. Unfortunately, it looks like it will run me $1,700+ for a 1 bedroom. $1,500 would be the max I would like to spend after misc. fees (Parking, electricity, water, garbage)

Thanks again guys. I'm very eager to join your community

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:07 PM

Quote:
$1,500 would be the max I would like to spend after misc. fees (Parking, electricity, water, garbage)

Thanks again guys. I'm very eager to join your community
You won't be able to touch anything in the downtown area for that price that isn't a shoebox sized studio efficiency. Trust me, I've tried.
If you don't mind living in what amounts to a tiny hotel room, then you'll have options.
If you'd prefer a normal sized 1 bedroom apartment with ~700-800 sqft, you're going to have to look north or far south for that price budget.

Some of the newer apartment complexes on the edges of the Domain are pretty decent. You get all the benefits of being walking distance to the parks, retail, and nightlife without actually living right on top of it. And free parking. Anything downtown you can expect to pay $50-125/month for a spot.

Also, take all online apartment reviews with a grain of salt, and always remember that angry/high maintenance people are exponentially more motivated to leave a negative review than normal satisfied folks are to leave a positive one.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zrx299 View Post
You won't be able to touch anything in the downtown area for that price that isn't a shoebox sized studio efficiency. Trust me, I've tried.
If you don't mind living in what amounts to a tiny hotel room, then you'll have options.
If you'd prefer a normal sized 1 bedroom apartment with ~700-800 sqft, you're going to have to look north or far south for that price budget.

Some of the newer apartment complexes on the edges of the Domain are pretty decent. You get all the benefits of being walking distance to the parks, retail, and nightlife without actually living right on top of it. And free parking. Anything downtown you can expect to pay $50-125/month for a spot.

Also, take all online apartment reviews with a grain of salt, and always remember that angry/high maintenance people are exponentially more motivated to leave a negative review than normal satisfied folks are to leave a positive one.
Yeah, it's looking like Round Rock or far south Austin are my potential places. They're about ~$1100 for a 700sqft spot. I really prefer to live in a newer area and I'm sure I can just drive like 25 minutes to a place that has nice entertainment amenities.

Old Posted May 13, 2019, 10:47 PM

Quote:
welcome to Austin.

I would move the Domain first with an eye on downtown/central as you become established and hopefully make more money. In the meantime, you will meet a TON of friends and business connections.....if that is your thing.

I've given this advice to several clients who lived there for a few years, they met a ton of people, then bought/rented in the areas of town they really liked. In the meantime, you'll live in a vibrant "Austin-lite" area. It's not that bad, don't listen to the snobby haters, of which I consider myself one......I would never live up there. '04 fo life! But I would if I was new to town, in a New York second.

Traffic is not really that bad compared to real cities (LA, Houston, Dallas, etc) Just stay away from i-35 at ALL costs (not kidding), and avoid Mopac during rush hour....and you're good.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > Austin