HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects

Metropolitan Life North Building in the SkyscraperPage Database

Building Data Page   • Comparison Diagram   • New York Skyscraper Diagram

Map Location
New York Projects & Construction Forum

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 9:45 PM
YIMBY co-founder

Smile NEW YORK | Metlife North Building | 1454+ FT | 100 FLOORS | NEVER COMPLETED

Fewer floors, but taller than the Empire State, It would have have wrested the icon status away from the ESB (but probably not completely - both would have been icons). It's got 30 elevators (enough for the 100 storey tower) even has its own subway station.

http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=8942
what was built:
http://skyscraperpage.com/cities/?buildingID=8325

They got to the 30th floor before construction stopped. The economy in 1933 wasn't good, so they just stopped. The building is suposed to be strong enough to support a continuation, so there's always a tiny bit of hope
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Last edited by Swede; Mar 28, 2009 at 11:37 AM.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 10:33 PM

I used to work in this building. It's the World HQ for Credit Suisse and is usually just referred to as 11 Madison.

The building is AMAZING inside, and HUGE. Even at its current stumpy height, it's nearly as large as the Empire State Building. If it were built to it's planned height (which is still possible), it would easily be the largest private office building on earth.

Another cool aspect of the building is the sublevels. There are four huge and grand (high ceilings, art deco ornamentation) sublevels. You really go deep into the earth at 11 Madison.

The building also has a very impressive lobby (one of the best in NY) and two world-class restaurants.

Last edited by Crawford; May 23, 2008 at 11:26 PM.

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 11:21 PM
All aboard the Failboat

looks more like the 23rd

Old Posted May 23, 2008, 11:28 PM

^
It has 28 utilized office floors (plus four below-ground office floors), but there is at least one additional floor above the top occupied floor.

I worked on the 14th floor.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 12:32 AM

This has always been my favorite 'never built'.

Old Posted May 24, 2008, 3:13 AM

The tower looks amazing to bad it wasn't finished.

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 5:33 AM

Someday man, someday...

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 9:43 AM
YIMBY co-founder

I'm thinking the next two or three setbacks as hotel and the rest residential. Also, a public viewing platform up top, possibly. Either the exact outside look that it had in the plans, or make the windows grow slowly larger for every new setback.
Huopa, Nightsky, Jo, wolkenkrabber, ThisSideofSteinway, jacksom, New Jack City, LeCom, Ellatur, Jan, Dennis, Ace, Bardamu, AtlanticaC5, Ringil, Dysfunctional, stacey, karakhal, ch1le, Hviid, staff, kjetilab, Þróndeimr, queetz, FREKI, sander, Blue Viking, nomels, Mantas, ristov, Rafal_T, khaan, Chilenofuturista, Jonte Myra, safta20, AW, Pas, Jarmo K, IceCheese, Sideshow_Bob, sk, Ingenioren, Ayreonaut, Silver Creations, Hasse78, Svartmetall

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 10:54 AM
All aboard the Failboat

50 office floors, 10 hotel 38 residental, 1 restaurant and 1 observation

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 12:59 PM
low-riding

there's no chance they sold away their air rights to build the black office building a block north is there?

Old Posted May 27, 2008, 1:02 PM
YIMBY co-founder

^They did? Well, then it is pretty much a non-starter. There's always the possibility of changing the zoning, but I would even less hold my breath for that.

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 1:11 PM
Member of SSP since 1997

^Not sure - the black office tower seems a bit removed:

Old Posted May 28, 2008, 7:52 PM
All aboard the Failboat

The black one doesn't seem to have used up much of the air rights, the folks at 11 maddison could buy back what's left and while it wouldn't be as tall as it should have been, it'll come close.

It's so strange to think that the government could of helped ease the depression by giving many of these projects incentives. When you think about it, the ESB, Hoover Dam and the Golden Gate were all just Band Aid projects, all of the ones that fell through could have helped the country.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 12:52 AM

It would have been a very solid building dominating building.

As opposed to the ESB, this one coud have taken the antenna instead making it even taller.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 5:47 AM

This is the coolest building there ever was and ever will be.

Why couldn't they have built this one!!!

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 6:13 AM
Desert Dweller

I dont see why people are just so crazy about this building, yes it nice, but it pales in comparison to the ESB, theres hardly any detail. Had it been completed the Midtown skyline wouldnt be as centered and balanced as it is, the ESB totally dominates the area, located right in the center of the skyline (when looking north or south) had Metlife been built it would have just, blah.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MayDay View Post
WOW! looking at the building from this perspective, it's just crazy how massive this building would have been, had it been completed.

Old Posted May 29, 2008, 1:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Patrick View Post
I dont see why people are just so crazy about this building, yes it nice, but it pales in comparison to the ESB, theres hardly any detail.
Well that does look like a rough sketch, so it's not really known what it would really look like if it actually got built, unless of course there are some far more detailed renders out there.

Old Posted Jan 26, 2009, 5:18 AM

Hope Cleveland doesn't mind my using this pic to roughly show what the building would have looked like. Would have made a nice sister to the ESB.

Old Posted Jan 27, 2009, 2:17 AM
Ex Houstonian

Wow! i never knew that building was supposed to be taller. Even though its short now its still a very beautiful building. Ive always liked it. It would have been amazing if it were completed but its still a semi iconic building.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects