HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 9:32 PM
BANNED

im wondering why this didnt have to get a CDR hearing. I know there are certain thresholds in terms of size and number of units that trigger a review. I'm not sure why this doesnt qualify. It could be that they haven't submitted an application for the actual building permit yet.

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 9:38 PM
Cory Trevor Leahy

Here's a permit from April for this project. They're going with Varenhorst again for the design just like they did for 2040 Market and 1900 Arch

Permit Number

Application Type

ZONING/USE PERMIT

Permit Type

Z/U-ADDITION

Status

COMPLETED

Date Issued

December 29, 2014

Last Updated

April 10, 2015

Work Description

FOR THE CONDITIONAL APPROVAL OF THE LOT ADJUSTMENT TO CREATE ONE (1) LOT FROM TWO (2) EXISTING LOTS (2402-14 MARKET STREET AND 2330 MARKET STREET). SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN ON PLANS/APPLICATION. FOR THE ERECTION OF AN ADDITION TO THE EXISTING SEMI-DETACHED STRUCTURE WITH ROOF DECKS AT THE 5TH, 7TH, 8TH, 9TH, 11TH, AND 19TH LEVELS. STRUCTURE TO UTILIZE PUBLIC ART, PUBLIC SPACE AND MIXED INCOME HOUSING FLOOR AREA BONUSES. ALL REQUIRED AGREEMENTS AND DOCUMENTATION TO BE SUBMITTED BEFORE FINAL PERMIT ISSUANCE. ENTIRE STRUCTURE TO BE CONSTRUCTED IN COMPLIANCE WITH THE REGULATION OF THE SPECIAL FLOOD HAZARD AREA (§14-704(4)(C)(.2)). SIZE AND LOCATION AS SHOWN ON PLANS/APPLICATION.

Contact Information
STEPHEN VARENHORST ARCHITECTS
STEPHEN VARENHORST
230 N 21ST ST
PHILADELPHIA, PA 19103
Contact Type
DESIGN PROFESSIONAL

Old Posted Nov 4, 2015, 9:57 PM

EDIT: I posted the same info as above but I did find this permit issued October 8 and updated on October 30:

Quote:
FOUNDATION WORK INCLUDING MICRO-PILES FOR FUTURE OVERBUILD ADDITION ABOVE AN EXISTING SIX (6) STORY STRUCTURE AS PER APPROVED PLANS. ALL WORK WITHIN EXISTING BUILDING FOOTPRINT AND ENVELOPE. *SEPARATE PERMITS REQUIRED FOR ERECTION OF ADDITION*

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 12:10 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 1487 View Post
im wondering why this didnt have to get a CDR hearing. I know there are certain thresholds in terms of size and number of units that trigger a review. I'm not sure why this doesnt qualify. It could be that they haven't submitted an application for the actual building permit yet.
This definitely has to go through CDR. It's definitely over 100,000 square feet.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 3:12 AM

FWIW

Found this low quality picture in the CCD Developments 2014-2018 Report, page 25. This report was put together at the end of Q4-2014 so this may be outdated information, but thought I would share it anyway. Hopefully, new information will be released soon.

https://www.centercityphila.org/developments/index.php

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 3:22 AM
Philly Rising Up!

Quote:
Originally Posted by wondertwinalpha View Post
FWIW

Found this low quality picture in the CCD Developments 2014-2018 Report, page 25. This report was put together at the end of Q4-2014 so this may be outdated information, but thought I would share it anyway. Hopefully, new information will be released soon.

https://www.centercityphila.org/developments/index.php
Let's hope they spend the money on an awesome design and back it with high quality materials.

LUBERT-ADLER AND PMC PURCHASE MARKETPLACE DESIGN CENTER
4/11/14 | Philadelphia, PA
A partnership consisting of Lubert-Adler and PMC Property Group has paid $42 million to buy 2400 Market Street, otherwise known as the Marketplace Design Center, in Philadelphia. "It will be the most exciting project Lubert-Adler has worked on in 15 years,"
Quote:
said Dean Adler of Lubert-Adler. "I think it's going to be our crowning project."

"This is really the gateway to Philadelphia," he continued, citing the property's position across from University City, 30th Street Station, near Rittenhouse Square, the Central Business District as well as near Interstate 76 and the Schuylkill Expressway. "This is one of the most ideal locations for any type of use. It is in the heart of two places that are exploding and you're at the epicenter of town.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 11:48 AM

Very happy to see a great mixed use project in this location, but I really dislike the massing of this vague design that we saw long ago. Especially with its positioning on the river. I hope they have improved it.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 1:22 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by summersm343 View Post
This definitely has to go through CDR. It's definitely over 100,000 square feet.
Thats what I thought. It probably hasn't gone for review yet because they havent' applied for the actual building permit for the addition yet. They are going for permits in a piecemeal fashion. Zoning and demo permits have been issued so far. No building permit for the additional floors.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 3:10 PM

I would hope that the plans include provisions for some restaurant/bar deck component. This would be the perfect location for some Chicago River Walk style fun.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 3:52 PM

Pedestrian promenade

PlanPhilly mentioned this 2400 Market project and a, "...promenade from Market St to Chestnut St," over a year ago with this old rendering included:

http://planphilly.com/articles/2014/...become-reality

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 3:56 PM

^^^ While the project is going to fit within the footprint of the existing building, I'm not sure how much, if any, of it will remain. I recall reading somewhere that the whale mural depicted in the rendering was not going to survive.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 4:08 PM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post
PlanPhilly mentioned this 2400 Market project and a, "...promenade from Market St to Chestnut St," over a year ago with this old rendering included:

Great!

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 4:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Aaamazarite View Post
FOR THE ERECTION OF AN ADDITION TO THE EXISTING SEMI-DETACHED STRUCTURE WITH ROOF DECKS AT THE 5TH, 7TH, 8TH, 9TH, 11TH, AND 19TH LEVELS.
I didn't get that they were building on top of the existing structure, but that appears to be the case, right?

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 4:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boxbot View Post
I didn't get that they were building on top of the existing structure, but that appears to be the case, right?
Yep, the plan is for an overbuild.

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 5:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Vince_ View Post

with this type of promonade and the trail itself it will really change the face of the river.

If the development nrth of JFK ever comes to bear this streatch of the river will really be changed and act to further enhance the connection of CC and U City

maybe a ferry from here to the navy Yard would work as well for commuters if no BSL extension ever takes place

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by br323206 View Post
Yep, the plan is for an overbuild.
I don't think I ever realized that until I saw the permit and the rendering that got posted recently. I'm glad to hear it, because I think the current building looks very nice on the Chestnut side (but for the lack of access to the building).

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 11:19 PM
Philly -> Osaka -> Tokyo

2400 Market's Chestnut Street side has one of Center City's better patio locations with that deep setback. I would hope that the plan is to take advantage of it -- a beer garden overlooking the Schuylkill would be pretty cool.

Who knows but that, on the lower levels, I speak for you?’ (Ralph Ellison, Invisible Man)

Old Posted Nov 5, 2015, 11:38 PM

I hate dumping on this, but that rendering looks too much like 1900 Arch.

I really hope they can use quality materials, and their designs are becoming very noticeable. No imagination. They're too squared off looking.

Ok, I'm done bitchin'
Now, The beer garden, I can agree with!

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mmikeyphilly View Post
I hate dumping on this, but that rendering looks too much like 1900 Arch.

I really hope they can use quality materials, and their designs are becoming very noticeable. No imagination. They're too squared off looking.

Ok, I'm done bitchin'
Now, The beer garden, I can agree with!
Don't hold your breath waiting for PMC Property Group aka Philadelphia Management Company aka the worst Philly landlord ever to use "quality materials" in any of their buildings.

I lived in one of their properties and vowed never to set foot in anything they own or build ever again.

2040 Market is already falling apart inside - go on yelp and see pictures tenants have posted.
1900 Arch looks terrible and I'm sure will be falling apart soon
One Water is meh...

If it were up to me PMC would be mandated to use any money they have to renovate/upgrade their existing derelict buildings before building anything new.

If anyone from PMC is lurking just know that your designs and materials suck and need to step your game up...

Last edited by pay homage; Nov 6, 2015 at 12:07 AM. Reason: forgot one thing

Old Posted Nov 6, 2015, 5:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hammersklavier View Post
-- a beer garden overlooking the Schuylkill would be pretty cool.
Now you're talking!

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Discussion Forums > Buildings & Architecture > Never Built & Visionary Projects > Cancelled Project Threads Archive