HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 7:38 PM
Starring as himself

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
A few years back i spent a few weeks trying to sell pay-for-play road funding to this board. As far as I'm concerned, people should pay for every kilometer they drive on any road.
Don't gasoline taxes more or less accomplish that already?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 9:21 PM

honestly i dont understand with that pst hike last year they coulda made highway 75 a freeway all the way to the border or even the perimeter diamond interchanges cost between 15-25 mill and leave room just in case theyd have to be upgraded to parlacos in the future

Old Posted Nov 8, 2014, 9:28 PM

A direct charge is better for many reasons: it makes a communal good exclusive, it doesn't favor those who use fuel efficient cars, and it's possible to coordinate prices with demand depending on the specific stretch of road and time of day. It would also be possible to run this system through a corporation that would also directly handle road maintenance, unlike gas tax money that gets lost in general funding.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 12:35 AM

if we have toll roads gas tax has to drop thats why we have such high taxes and almost no toll roads expect private roads like 407 this country choose tax over tolls america went the other way if i was in charge id only charge big rigs because they do the most damage

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 4:57 AM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Originally Posted by biguc View Post
A few years back i spent a few weeks trying to sell pay-for-play road funding to this board. As far as I'm concerned, people should pay for every kilometer they drive on any road.
I don't think this is the best of answers. I think a street could pay for itself if it is in the style that generates value. Corydon/Osborne, Selkirk, St. Mary's Road. The land value to infrastructure cost ratio is heavily weighted on the land value side.

I remember reading the numbers on the new IKEA development. The lot has a per square foot value of $80.00. That's not even as high as the per square foot value of the beverage hotels around Euclid and Main. IKEA is actually a bigger drain on our City then the Yale Hotel.

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 6:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steveosnyder View Post
I don't think this is the best of answers. I think a street could pay for itself if it is in the style that generates value. Corydon/Osborne, Selkirk, St. Mary's Road. The land value to infrastructure cost ratio is heavily weighted on the land value side.

I remember reading the numbers on the new IKEA development. The lot has a per square foot value of $80.00. That's not even as high as the per square foot value of the beverage hotels around Euclid and Main. IKEA is actually a bigger drain on our City then the Yale Hotel.
I'm not sure that's necessarily true. IKEA needs parking for that many vehicles. The store itself - in Winnipeg, anyway - isn't valuable if people can't drive to it. And the city depends upon IKEA doing well in order to collect massive business and property taxes from it.

Theoretically speaking, you might be right. There's no doubt that you could - in theory - pack more revenue producing square footage on that site and generate a higher overall land value. But the question always becomes: can you really? I'd doubt it given our population and the fact that Kenaston and Sterling Lyon is not situated in some central hub convenient for everybody in the city; it rests at the confluence of two regional corridors that aren't designed or suitable for dense development. And a store like IKEA is a destination that draws on and services the citizens of a huge geographic area, most of whom are arriving by car. It's in everybody's best interest that they do that well.

The Yale hotel draws on people from within a few block radius, none of whom drive, most of whom shouldn't. For every dime in property and business tax that place generates, it creates a ten-fold multiplier in negative societal benefit that shows up on the bottom line of every social agency in the province....

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 6:25 PM

So we shouldn't be maintaining/upgrading the perimeter because it can't be developed like St Mary's or Henderson? Is that what I'm hearing?

Old Posted Nov 9, 2014, 8:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bomberjet View Post
So we shouldn't be maintaining/upgrading the perimeter because it can't be developed like St Mary's or Henderson? Is that what I'm hearing?
Hahaha, that's exactly what I was thinking. Steve-o definitely has a unique view of how cities work, or should work...

Old Posted Nov 10, 2014, 4:35 AM
North End Troublemaker

Quote:
Sorry... I got a little tangential there.

Old Posted Nov 17, 2014, 10:11 PM

PTH 75 public meeting is scheduled for November 20. Supposed to talk about the interstate standard flood protection. We'll see if anything interesting comes out of it.

http://www.gov.mb.ca/mit/pdf/public_...er_20_2014.pdf

Old Posted Nov 19, 2014, 11:10 PM

So I haven't been down to the PTH 100 and PR 330/Kenaston/Waverley area lately. Someone mentioned the Province had or was in the process of completing the PR 330 re-alignment and traffic lights. Was this completed? Not quite sure. But from what I can gather, it was. Just more for my own curiosity. So there would be three lights on that stretch now.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 3:50 PM

Quote:
So I haven't been down to the PTH 100 and PR 330/Kenaston/Waverley area lately. Someone mentioned the Province had or was in the process of completing the PR 330 re-alignment and traffic lights. Was this completed? Not quite sure. But from what I can gather, it was. Just more for my own curiosity. So there would be three lights on that stretch now.
If thats what I think it is, I believe the light standards have been in for awhile but no lights on them. No other work done. Unless I just havent been that far down. I use Kenaston every day to go to and from work as I live in St Norbert.

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 9:55 PM

they put up the light posts already just they covered them i cried inside when i saw that

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 10:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mattpa View Post
they put up the light posts already just they covered them i cried inside when i saw that
Is it too much to ask that people insert some punctuation in their responses? Nobody should have to read a single line three times in an effort to suss out the intent of the poster. If you've successfully learned to navigate the internet, you aren't below the capacity required to understand where a period or comma are required...

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 10:52 PM

Figured I throw it in here, but some highlights on infrastructure from the throne speech today.

http://news.gov.mb.ca/news/index.htm...ve=&item=33290

strengthen Manitoba’s primary trade corridor with new flood protection for PTH 75 including the construction of a new, higher bridge at Morris;

upgrade the Lake St. Martin Channel and build a new outlet to flow 7,500 cubic feet per second from Lake Manitoba to provide better flood protection for families and businesses in the Interlake region;

increase Manitoba’s municipal road budget and double funding for municipal bridges;

establish a special planning area to support rapid expansion, trade and strategic growth at CentrePort including development of the new CentrePort Canada Rail Park;

create a new streamlined portal for infrastructure program information and applications in partnership with the Association of Manitoba Municipalities; and

apply innovative approaches to core infrastructure design, construction and maintenance through a new Infrastructure Innovations Council in partnership with the Manitoba Heavy Construction Association.

Edit: I see Cyro beat me to it in the politics thread!

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Figured I throw it in here, but some highlights on infrastructure from the throne speech today.

strengthen Manitoba’s primary trade corridor with new flood protection for PTH 75 including the construction of a new, higher bridge at Morris;

upgrade the Lake St. Martin Channel and build a new outlet to flow 7,500 cubic feet per second from Lake Manitoba to provide better flood protection for families and businesses in the Interlake region;

increase Manitoba’s municipal road budget and double funding for municipal bridges;

establish a special planning area to support rapid expansion, trade and strategic growth at CentrePort including development of the new CentrePort Canada Rail Park;

create a new streamlined portal for infrastructure program information and applications in partnership with the Association of Manitoba Municipalities; and

apply innovative approaches to core infrastructure design, construction and maintenance through a new Infrastructure Innovations Council in partnership with the Manitoba Heavy Construction Association.

And when are they planning to accomplish this given they'll be running an internal campaign over the next five months only to begin an actual campaign starting April 1st?

Old Posted Nov 20, 2014, 11:04 PM

They don't actually do the work, they just talk about it. But yeah, they'll be pretty busy.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 2:23 AM

Quote:

No gas tax increase? Where are they getting this increase in funding? Their going to steal more property tax!

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 1:14 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Property tax is municipal, not provincial. If you paid it you would know that.

Old Posted Nov 21, 2014, 4:23 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Riverman View Post
Property tax is municipal, not provincial. If you paid it you would know that.
Actually there are more than just a few guys in here who have never seen a property tax bill! (You can tell)

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan