HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 9:19 PM

Saskatoon Restaurants, Pubs & Retail

Inspired by W.W. La Chance's recent post on the Saskatoon Construction Forum, I thought I'd start a thread that highlights developments in Saskatoon's ever-evolving restaurant, pub, and retail scene.

To get the ball rolling, here is W.W. La Chance's post from the Saskatoon Construction Forum:

A few newish developments [in Saskatoon]....

Freshii (https://www.freshii.com/ca), the pricey health fast-food chain is opening on Broadway next to Ryde on the corner of 11th and Broadway.

Leopold's Tavern of Regina fame (http://leopoldstavern.com/) is moving into the Empyreal Building where Duck Duck Goose is or was - they are closing.

Luna & Hill (http://www.lunaandhill.com/), the retailer located in the Avenue Building is closing.

La Vie Lente (http://www.lavielentefashion.com/), the retailer located in the Kempthorne building is closing.

The Crazy Cactus (https://www.facebook.com/Crazy-Cactu...2104105156817/), Saskatoon's "gringo"HQ is moving from their location at Ruth Melrose to 3rd and 20th downtown.

Old Posted Jul 15, 2016, 9:31 PM

Persistence pays off for Saskatoon restaurateur

by Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
July 4, 2016

Ryan Sutherland figures it was his refusal to give up that convinced the owners of Shoeless Joe’s Sports Grill to let him open the company’s first franchise outside Ontario.

“When I initially applied, they kind of assumed it was a university project, (but) I phoned them every single day for at least three to four months,” the 24-year-old business school graduate said.

“Eventually they said, ‘If we fly you out to Toronto for an interview, will you stop calling?’ And I said sure. I think persistence is a huge part of it, for sure.”

Sutherland was born in Melfort but grew up all over Western Canada, due to his father’s job with the RCMP. After finishing his business degree at the University of Saskatchewan, he decided to open a restaurant with his mother Linda.

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...n-restaurateur

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 5:16 PM

The recent closure of Journeymen & Co. at 11th and Broadway was picked up pretty quickly. It appears as if a Vape shop is moving in.

Old Posted Jul 16, 2016, 8:03 PM

Looks like there are a few moves happening at the 8th and Cumberland Sobeys location. first off, Sobeys has a major expansion happening now. The Dollar store has moved to Grosvenor park (the old Bike shop location) and Blossoms is shutting down and combining with their Anthology location on B and 20th. Rumour has it that Prairie Mobile will move into the empty Blossoms store. Not sure if Sobeys will build and connect all the way to the strip mall or not.........anyone here know? Thanks

Old Posted Jul 26, 2016, 9:15 PM

Up to six Save-On-Foods to open in Saskatoon

by Alex MacPherson, Saskatoon StarPhoenix
July 26, 2016

Save-On-Foods will open three supermarkets in Saskatoon within the next 18 months and consider adding an additional three stores in the coming years, according to its president.

“We’d like to have six stores in the city of Saskatoon,” Darrell Jones told reporters following a groundbreaking ceremony for the chain’s first Saskatoon supermarket, which is expected to open in Kensington in early 2017.

“We’re building three; we’ve got three that are coming. If the response is excellent — and we believe it will be — then yeah, absolutely. This is a great city and easily able to take on six Save-On-Foods stores.”

[........]

Read more:
http://thestarphoenix.com/business/l...n-in-saskatoon

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 1:41 PM

well, 3rd save on foods announced for the city.

cumberland square, where old safeway used to be.

report came out saying there will be 6 in saskatoon in the end. as myself being a store manager for Extra foods, i think the grocery stores in the city is a little excessive, but if theres going to be 6, wheres the other 3 going

so far confirmed
1) Kensington 2017
2) brighton/holmwood 2017???
3) Cumberland square late 2017 probably early 2018?

3 other locations ( these are MY OPINIONS )

1) downtown ( even though article said no groc retail was wanted to go downtown ) this will definitely be the last of the 6
2) north east where new commuter bridge is going, i know commercial will be developed in the future
3) market mall, since all safeways will be closed at some point

thoughts anyone? im curious to hear your opinions on this one. but im sure you all agree on that we have too many groc retail stores for the size of our city.

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 3:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mitchellk12 View Post
well, 3rd save on foods announced for the city.

cumberland square, where old safeway used to be.

report came out saying there will be 6 in saskatoon in the end. as myself being a store manager for Extra foods, i think the grocery stores in the city is a little excessive, but if theres going to be 6, wheres the other 3 going

so far confirmed
1) Kensington 2017
2) brighton/holmwood 2017???
3) Cumberland square late 2017 probably early 2018?

3 other locations ( these are MY OPINIONS )

1) downtown ( even though article said no groc retail was wanted to go downtown ) this will definitely be the last of the 6
2) north east where new commuter bridge is going, i know commercial will be developed in the future
3) market mall, since all safeways will be closed at some point

thoughts anyone? im curious to hear your opinions on this one. but im sure you all agree on that we have too many groc retail stores for the size of our city.
Other possible sites would be as follows:
1. Rosewood development near the new Costco
2. Preston Crossing Phase V currently under development
3. Hampton Village proposed retail development on Claypool Drive

Old Posted Jul 27, 2016, 3:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hunter12 View Post
Other possible sites would be as follows:
1. Rosewood development near the new Costco
2. Preston Crossing Phase V currently under development
3. Hampton Village proposed retail development on Claypool Drive
forgot about the hampton commercial, that would be a good location.

forgot to mention, earlier this year, my former superiors mentioned a superstore in the NE end of the city, 2018 completion. loblaws is due for a brand new store. but that proposal was iffy. highly doubt that will happen though but it was mentioned to us managers

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 7:50 PM

i know it has nothing to do in saskatoon, but extra foods kindersley is closing.

if anyone has been wondering whats happening with the last 3 , i can tell you Taylor st will convert at some point to no frills ( which is perfect for that area ) , broadway is still figuring out what banner would suit that location ( it will stay a loblaws own store ) and as for me at canarama, were unsure...

sobeys is moving into target lawson. and seeing as loblaws owns shoppers and its right beside us, both of us in the mall have a big ??? over our heads.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 7:53 PM
the heat goes on

So broadway extra foods is sticking around (in some form or another) for a while? Losing it would be a huge loss for the area. Is it possible they will expand?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 7:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by macca View Post
So broadway extra foods is sticking around (in some form or another) for a while? Losing it would be a huge loss for the area. Is it possible they will expand?
not too sure, i think that would be a good idea...but just as of how? maybe going south a bit and connecting to the bakery and adding 2 aisles. loblaws owns that building, and theres an empty salon underneath ( for those who remember ) but who knows. that store does REAL REAL well for profit and business. its #1 in canada for sales per sq ft. . a no frills was an idea...but the clientele for that store wouldnt buy the NF type market. broadway has a wierd demographic. so thats why i think once that store does go...itll be a "first" of its kind in the city.

as for taylor st. thats a well established market. and ive made tons of profit managing that few years back as an EF. so imagine a NF...$$$$$$.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:02 PM
the heat goes on

Quote:
so thats why i think once that store does go...itll be a "first" of its kind in the city.
Not sure what this means?

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:07 PM

Quote:
Not sure what this means?
theres some markets in vancouver/toronto that have a different style of grocery retail that support downtowns. kind of like independent/citi market. thats all ive been told. something along the lines of that. broadway is too small for independent, good size for box NF, but that market wont last. so theyre looking at something different. its really confusing. that store will be the last in the country to convert as an EF i think lol. everyones scratching their heads for that one

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:10 PM

Interesting. Thanks for the info, Mitchell.

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:12 PM
the heat goes on

Hopefully that store proves the market for more urban stores (i.e. downtown).

Old Posted Jul 28, 2016, 8:25 PM

Quote:
Hopefully that store proves the market for more urban stores (i.e. downtown).
im sure it will. but that little one might take a few years to decide. i know toronto/regina shoppers drug marts have some pilot stores going into grocery/produce/deli etc. ( regina guys, speak for me please ) but if thats the case, id like to see Canarama shoppers beside me be reno'd.

with that being said...i was notified that until sobeys took target lawson, i possibly would close, but now thats off that list. ( which i think its a lie, just prolonged to see how it affects us, then that call will be made ) Canarama EF needs more work than any other loblaw store in the province. if any of you guys are customers here, my equip is always broken down , roof leaking, etc, and no help to fix it on our end. so ive been hurting for a while.

whats your thoughts on this ? im curious

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 2:40 AM

Quote:
i know it has nothing to do in saskatoon, but extra foods kindersley is closing.

if anyone has been wondering whats happening with the last 3 , i can tell you Taylor st will convert at some point to no frills ( which is perfect for that area ) , broadway is still figuring out what banner would suit that location ( it will stay a loblaws own store ) and as for me at canarama, were unsure...

sobeys is moving into target lawson. and seeing as loblaws owns shoppers and its right beside us, both of us in the mall have a big ??? over our heads.
How is Safeway allowing another grocery store into Lawson mall?

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 3:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dino35 View Post
How is Safeway allowing another grocery store into Lawson mall?
Sobeys owns Safeway

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 1:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Stormer View Post
Sobeys owns Safeway
safeway will close.

eventually ALL safeways nationwide will close. thats an old school banner.

it may take 15+ years to do so but in the end all safeways wont exist anymore.

like OK-Economy if any of you remember .

Old Posted Aug 2, 2016, 2:34 PM

Quote:
im sure it will. but that little one might take a few years to decide. i know toronto/regina shoppers drug marts have some pilot stores going into grocery/produce/deli etc. ( regina guys, speak for me please ) but if thats the case, id like to see Canarama shoppers beside me be reno'd.

with that being said...i was notified that until sobeys took target lawson, i possibly would close, but now thats off that list. ( which i think its a lie, just prolonged to see how it affects us, then that call will be made ) Canarama EF needs more work than any other loblaw store in the province. if any of you guys are customers here, my equip is always broken down , roof leaking, etc, and no help to fix it on our end. so ive been hurting for a while.

whats your thoughts on this ? im curious
I'd always thought that Loblaws was keeping the EF in Canarama simply to keep the other grocery chains out of there. I don't really see that the switch to Sobey's from Safeway in Lawson would impact that. If Loblaws was to leave Canarama, I could certainly see Co-op looking at that space, as they don't have any grocery stores near there.

Agreed that the Canarama EF is pretty tired. It wouldn't shock me to see a new tenant simply knock it down and build new to suit their prototype layout if they were to take over that space.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan