HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio

Closed Thread

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 5:49 PM
Loving SA 365 days a year

SA - 27-story W Hotel Downtown

I don't want to get in any trouble but my last thread was deleted without explanation. Maybe by accident I don't know, but I will try again. Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's shoes. I just wanted this to be the official San Antonio W hotel thread.

Looks like the Kress parking lot site is bound for a W hotel. Houston Street Entertainment District is really starting to shape up. What are everyone's thoughts on this?

Last edited by sirkingwilliam; May 21, 2007 at 5:55 PM.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 6:03 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Hope we hear the firm announcement in June....

This is very exciting. Another 300 footer in DT and another surface-level parking lot biting the dust!!!!

Here is the lot we speak of...

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 7:09 PM

Why couldn't this be 10-15 stories taller...It's a shame it can't be an all glass facade...

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 10:21 PM

Sounds fun, but I would love for it to be in the 34-38 story range. That part of downtown could really use something larger than a tall-midrise. Any renderings?

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 10:56 PM
Meh

Quote:
Originally Posted by sirkingwilliam View Post
I don't want to get in any trouble but my last thread was deleted without explanation. Maybe by accident I don't know, but I will try again. Hopefully I'm not stepping on anyone's shoes. I just wanted this to be the official San Antonio W hotel thread.

Looks like the Kress parking lot site is bound for a W hotel. Houston Street Entertainment District is really starting to shape up. What are everyone's thoughts on this?
I deleted that thread because I thought it was a double post, (I thought you hadn't seen the original).

But isn't there already a thread on the possible W Hotel? Jaga185 made a thread about it back in February. There really needs to be only one thread about a topic to keep the conversation focused on it and for easy reference. It's hard to quote someone or find some information about a project from the past if it's floating around in 2 or 3 different threads.
http://forum.skyscraperpage.com/showthread.php?t=125972

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 11:25 PM

No, that's the Rio Plaza project.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 11:28 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Quote:
Why couldn't this be 10-15 stories taller...It's a shame it can't be an all glass facade..
Why can't it be all glass?

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 11:41 PM

I'm sure it'll be like similar to all the other W hotel designs. I doubt the historical committee would ruin SA's chances at getting the W brand in SA. Heck, they're on thin ice because of the heat they've brought onto themselves resulting in the Mayor wanting to reduce their size and power.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 11:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sakyle04 View Post
Why can't it be all glass?
Because it has to be art-deco, like the kress building.

Old Posted May 21, 2007, 11:56 PM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

Maybe they'll be adventurous, finding a way to blend with the neighborhood but usher into a new era as well...

For reference:

Dallas' W - 33 stories

New York's Union Sq W - Award-Winning Historic Preservation

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 12:40 AM
Meh

Quote:
No, that's the Rio Plaza project.
Fine. As long as they are two seperate projects.

Quote:
Originally Posted by SAKyle04
Maybe they'll be adventurous, finding a way to blend with the neighborhood but usher into a new era as well...

For reference:
Here's the proposed one in Austin. It should breakground later this summer. Click the thumbnail to enlarge:

Thou shall not indict

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 1:25 AM
COGSADCAJA, VP and CGO

^ Thanks Kevin.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 3:21 AM
Endless Moments...

I like the dallas one, it looks Hot. You know sleek with a little air of mystery to it...

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 5:13 AM
Member since 2001

Quote:

Another rumor? Will Disney be running this one?

Come on guys, you've got to provide some proof here; otherwise there just rumors.

Notice that in other threads, the claims are backed up by some type of proof, i.e., news article, press release, information from developer or hotel website, etc…

I'm not doubting possible inside information you may have...but please don't add to the rumor-mill going on in the SA threads. Provide some proof or at least phrase it in a way that it doesn't make it sound like it's a done-deal, which it's not at this point.

I admit, I've been wrong before, but I have a difficult time thinking Starwood would announce a W location in SA before they announce their plans for west Houston.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 7:53 AM

What does it matter what you think or believe? Are you the end all authority on what people should believe or not? Andres was nice enough to come on here and provide some very knowledgeable information, this guy isn't in the business of hyping or talking before things are a done deal. Like he said the deal is slated to close on June 1st. Believe whatever you want to, but Andres is the man.

And I find it ironic that you ask for articles to prove this and that are happening. Where do you think writers get their information from when they write those articles? People like Andres who is along every step of the way of these developments.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 8:40 AM

Quote:
What does it matter what you think or believe? Are you the end all authority on what people should believe or not? Andres was nice enough to come on here and provide some very knowledgeable information, this guy isn't in the business of hyping or talking before things are a done deal. Like he said the deal is slated to close on June 1st. Believe whatever you want to, but Andres is the man.

And I find it ironic that you ask for articles to prove this and that are happening. Where do you think writers get their information from when they write those articles? People like Andres who is along every step of the way of these developments.
Calm down, he's just askin for proof on a print of some sort. It makes sense. Hopefully they'll be some official word come june.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 9:33 AM

No need to calm down, I wasn't excited, hope it didn't come off sound that way.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 12:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GoldenBoot View Post
Another rumor? Will Disney be running this one?

Come on guys, you've got to provide some proof here; otherwise there just rumors.

Notice that in other threads, the claims are backed up by some type of proof, i.e., news article, press release, information from developer or hotel website, etc…

I'm not doubting possible inside information you may have...but please don't add to the rumor-mill going on in the SA threads. Provide some proof or at least phrase it in a way that it doesn't make it sound like it's a done-deal, which it's not at this point.

I admit, I've been wrong before, but I have a difficult time thinking Starwood would announce a W location in SA before they announce their plans for west Houston.

Most of your San Antonio post seem to question the development here. Why are you so cynical about SAT? Why should we have to wait for a news article or press release to post relevant information, especially when they are from a credible source? Do you remember when you wrote this:

Individual real estate developers/development companies are not siloed from communicating with each other (i.e., on their own little island). It is a very close-knit group of people. Everyone pretty much knows what everybody else is doing long before you or I may hear about it in some type of news media. It’s a “life-or-death” responsibility for individuals in the real estate industry to know what’s going on in their market(s).

Timing is everything in this industry. Developers don’t have the relative luxury of “waiting” or being timid. They “eat what the kill” and if there is prey out there, they’re going to find a way to “kill” it or they will starve. In pretty much any city in the world, if there is huge demand for a specific segment of the real estate market (in this case luxury high-rise condos in SA), then local, national and even international developers will take note and act accordingly.
?

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 1:20 PM
constructor extrodinaire!

nice schertz...very nice.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 2:14 PM
Endless Moments...

You know not to be the Devils Advocate or anything. But how does anyone know "Andres" is the real person. How easy would it be to create an alias (on this forum) to pull off one of the most cruelest practical jokes to a whole bunch of people that live and die by the next tallest or structure being built. I think it would be very simple to accomplish. On the other hand we may the have the real person and that is awesome. It’s a great addition to the collection of people already on here. However I do understand were GoldenBoot is coming from. He is on the side of caution, which is not a bad thing. Sometimes we must all remember to take everything "with a grain of salt."

I won’t lie and say that i don't believe, because i do. But i do have a little skepticism, which is only natural. I guess we all just have to sit and wait, as we all have been doing for so long...

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Closed Thread

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > United States > Texas & Southcentral > San Antonio