HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 8:01 PM
Closed account

Pffftttt, amateurs.
All I need is my Ascaso Dream and i/1 grinder - true espresso nirvana.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 10:30 PM

^^I think we have found the host for the next forum meetup.

Old Posted May 15, 2007, 10:57 PM
Closed account

Only had it about a week, but I'm in love.

Old Posted May 16, 2007, 1:19 AM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by flatlander View Post
^^I think we have found the host for the next forum meetup.
lol
hmm forum meetup hmm that time of year.....

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 3:41 AM

From UofW website

$3.2M Expansion to UWinnipeg’s
Duckworth Centre:
Health and Wellness

"The University of Winnipeg is committed to renewing downtown Winnipeg, encouraging active living and promoting health and wellness in our corner of the world," said UWinnipeg President and Vice-Chancellor Lloyd Axworthy at a ceremony this morning marking the start of construction. "We thank the Government of Manitoba for its support in this project and its commitment to enhancing facilities which will contribute to healthy lifestyles of our students, staff and faculty and our community."

The expansion of the Duckworth Centre will include a new 6,000 square-foot personal fitness centre on the ground and second floors equipped with state-of-the-art weight training and cardio equipment. As well, more than 1,000 square feet of new retail space will be added on the ground level for a student-operated coffee business, a Powerland Computers outlet, an expanded Wesmen sports shop, along with additional offices and classroom facilities. In addition, the University's athletic therapy clinic in the basement will double in size.

The project is being funded with nearly $1.5 million in support from the Province of Manitoba's specified capital fund - a $14-million fund originally announced in 2003 -combined with rents from retail tenants and revenues from a new student athletic levy. Earlier this year, UWinnipeg students overwhelmingly approved a $35-annual athletic levy in a referendum. As a result, students will get full access to these enhanced fitness facilities, while UWinnipeg faculty, staff and the community-at-large can make use of the centre for a very modest annual fee.

The construction project is being managed by The University of Winnipeg Community Renewal Corporation (UWCRC) which was established to develop initiatives that represent university and community interests; Prairie Architects is the project architect and ManShield Construction was the successful bidder for the construction work.

The expanded Duckworth Centre also represents a boost for UWinnipeg's nationally-recognized Departments of Kinesiology and Applied Health, Recreation and Athletic Services, and Wesmen sports teams.

"When the construction is complete, our Wesmen basketball and volleyball teams will have a revamped and more functional fitness and kinesiology facility that will better serve their needs," said Bill Wedlake, Director of Recreation and Athletic Services.

Furthermore, as part of UWinnipeg's sustainability policy, the fir trees on the east side of the Duckworth Centre have been moved to another location on campus, rather than being chopped down.

"This is a sign of the strong commitment of The University of Winnipeg to an environmentally sustainable environment," said Axworthy. "Moving established trees rather than destroying them sends a clear message that environment stewardship remains foremost in our redevelopment plans,"

Construction crews have already begun preparing the current building for the new addition at the south-east corner and east side on Spence Street. While construction is underway, access to the Duckworth Centre will be modified. Please visit www.uwinnipeg.ca for updates on construction activities. Work is expected to be completed by October 2007, followed by the installation of the interior facilities and equipment.

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 4:40 AM
visionary

awesome

Old Posted May 17, 2007, 11:07 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Diva View Post
It will be a fair trade coffee shop.
Too bad they didn't lease the space out to a real coffee chain. Nothing worse than university coffee.

Student union coffee is even worse .. socalist generic coffee. Guess students will have to keep walking blocks to find a good cup.

On the topic of fair trade coffee, did any of your know that Starbucks pays a significant premium above the market rate for coffee beans from developing countries?

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 12:12 AM
Portage & Main 50 below

Quote:
Originally Posted by newflyer View Post
Too bad they didn't lease the space out to a real coffee chain. Nothing worse than university coffee.
Not to mention its expensive as hell too.

Frick, for $1.70 a medium cup I should be pouring that stuff from a 24 karat gold decanter.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 12:26 AM
Capitalist

I saw an excellent special on Starbucks recently about the success formula of this business and one of the main overriding points was putting people first.

This included paying premiums for coffee beans. Here is a clip from the website.

Quote:
Purchasing only the best Starbucks buys the highest quality arabica coffee in the world. It is our goal to pay premium prices that result in a profit for the farmers and their families. In FY 2004, Starbucks paid on average, $1.20 per pound ($2.64kg) for high-quality coffee beans. This was 74 percent higher than the commodity market’s price during the year.

Economic transparency In 2001, Starbucks began inserting transparency into standard contracts. Today, we have economic transparency requirements for 59 percent of all coffee purchased to provide information on the payments made to farmers. This represents 177 million lbs. (80 million kg.) of coffee.

Requiring economic transparency is a relatively new practice in the coffee industry. We recognize it will pose enormous challenges, but we are committed to having transparency in prices paid to the farmer. Starbucks supports efforts to make this practice common throughout the coffee industry worldwide.
I would challenge any student union "fair trade" coffee shop to match this level of social responsibility. It has become fashionable to talk the talk, but few actually walk the walk... and sadly I fear the new UofW coffee shop will fall into this action.

Old Posted May 18, 2007, 4:02 PM

Quote:
I would challenge any student union "fair trade" coffee shop to match this level of social responsibility. It has become fashionable to talk the talk, but few actually walk the walk... and sadly I fear the new UofW coffee shop will fall into this action.
They'll probably sell Transfair coffee and pay a wage above the minimum, which I'm sure they will view as "walking the walk". I just want a decent cup of coffee.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 1:16 AM
surely you agree with me

some better images of the duckworth expansion

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 8:51 PM
Capitalist

Quote:
Originally Posted by trueviking View Post
some better images of the duckworth expansion

Are they going to paint the Duckworth yellow? Kind of reminds me of the Butter building at the UofA.

Old Posted May 20, 2007, 9:15 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Are they going to paint the Duckworth yellow? Kind of reminds me of the Butter building at the UofA.
i hope not the glass will add some light to that other words dark dreary area.....

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 3:22 AM

no, no plans on painting the brick.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:02 AM

What's the deal with those large brick slabs ...I don't know the formal term... The University of Manitoba Engineering faculty has that as well. Is there a practical aspect to it, or is it simply aesthetic?

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:36 PM
Mooderator

does anyone else find the title of this thread ironic?

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 4:49 PM

^^ Unfortunately yes.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 5:47 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post

That's hilarious. What is even scarier is that it took 36 posts for someone to spot it.

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 8:01 PM
ʇɥƃıuʞ -*ʞpʇ*-

Quote:
Originally Posted by harls View Post
probly a typo.....

Old Posted May 22, 2007, 8:30 PM
Mooderator

it just keeps getting better!

End

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan