HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:50 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by yeeg View Post
It wont be as bad for the oil industry as you might think...Back in the early 80's, the US was the dominant economy in the world, but you can see the trend starting to shift from US to China...So our dependancy on the US to buy our oil is shrinking...Dont get me wrong, its still high but not as bad as many moons ago...In less than 15 years, China will be the worlds most powerful economy and we wont be as dependant on the US...
In the event of such a crash, a economy completely dependent on oil would suffer a far greater recession then a diversified economy. If if say this more diversified economy had billions of barrels of proven reserves, it could conceivably ride out these fluctuations and make more over the long run then the dependent economy that opened the floodgates and never bothered to think of a plan b. That is interesting,thanks.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:54 AM

Quote:
Out of curiosity, where did they move back to Regina from and why?? I moved from Regina to Calgary almost 10 years ago and at this time, would never think of moving back...That goes the same for many people I know who did similar moves from Regina or Sask in general...

Regina represents a different lifestyle than Calgary so its hard to use that as a comparison...But for argument sake, I will try to list the pros and cons of each city.

Regina - Pros
- Affordable housing and this depends on when you got in. But not as cheap as you would think.
- Slower pace
- Beautiful park
- Great Restaurants
- Best football team and fans in the world
- Everyone knows you
- Killer hot summers
- beautiful lakes in Sask (ok, not regina but cant really beat northern sask)

Regina - Cons
- High Property Taxes
- High personal income tax rate
- Not enough selection of retail stores
- Considering size of city, takes a long time to get from outskirts to DT
- People like mediocrity
- Not enough jobs
- difficult to fly out of regina, need connections to go anywhere except neighbouring province
- living in a fishbowl if you are famous (Riders)
- Smaller community (everyone knows you)
- NDP
- Weak economy
- more crime per capita
- killer cold winters, although cant be as cold as Winnipeg.
- Mosaic (cant seem to experience that in Calgary)
- Grey cup festivities

Calgary - Pros
- Big city living (if you like that)
- Close to the mountains
- Food selection is tremendous
- Entertainment options galore
- High paying jobs
- Excellent opportunities if you are an entrepuer
- Go to a Stamps / Riders game and if you wear green, you are almost the majority.
- Lower income tax rates
- Lower property tax (Regina would triple my tax)
- Women are hotter here
- Golf course are much nicer
- more competitive job market which is good if yoiu are employee
- I heard that beer is cheaper too.
- I stand in my living room and see a beautiful view of the mountains
- Disposable income is higher

Calgary - Cons
- Traffic can sometimes be a mess, however, I live 22km from work and it takes me less time than it did in Regina to get from Walsh Acres to UofR.
- Housing can be expensive but depends on when you bought in.
- Not enough Sak ex-pats here
- Can be a bad feeling if you are wearing green at a Stamps / Riders game and we are losing
- a stupid field in the NW they call a park
- more gang crime
- more competitive job market which can be bad if you are employer
- culturally diverse (in Regina, people thought east indians were paki's which is not even close)

Thats about it in a quick minute...i didnt count PST and Health care premiums as they are a wash so dont even go there...
Honestly, I don't think a list like that is very useful...A lot of those things are subjective. Even if I agree with you on a certain point, it may be more of an issue for you than for me or vice versa. It really depends on what you're looking for. You're seem to be happy in Calgary...of the few people I know that moved to Calgary, all of them moved back.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 4:57 AM

I think Regina would be awesome if it was more nicely landscaped. Well i think it is really nice the way it is right now but if only we had stuff like more green and culture, some more big bridges across the lake, it would make regina seem like a even bigger, nicer city than it already is.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 5:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mayor Quimby View Post
Migs you can't back up your claims and yet state I am making stuff up.

You are a piece of work.
I already gave you examples where promotion of the city has worked. Sorry that is so hard for you to understand.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 5:03 AM
BANNED

Real proof please, You gave anecdotal evidence. It is worthless in trying to determine the effect of such a matter. You call others stupid accuse them of lying yet you are ignorant to simple common sense. This doesn't make me angry or hate you. However, I truly feel pity for you .

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 5:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Out of curiosity, where did they move back to Regina from and why?? I moved from Regina to Calgary almost 10 years ago and at this time, would never think of moving back...That goes the same for many people I know who did similar moves from Regina or Sask in general...

Regina represents a different lifestyle than Calgary so its hard to use that as a comparison...But for argument sake, I will try to list the pros and cons of each city.

Regina - Pros
- Affordable housing and this depends on when you got in. But not as cheap as you would think.
- Slower pace
- Beautiful park
- Great Restaurants
- Best football team and fans in the world
- Everyone knows you
- Killer hot summers
- beautiful lakes in Sask (ok, not regina but cant really beat northern sask)

Regina - Cons
- High Property Taxes
- High personal income tax rate
- Not enough selection of retail stores
- Considering size of city, takes a long time to get from outskirts to DT
- People like mediocrity
- Not enough jobs
- difficult to fly out of regina, need connections to go anywhere except neighbouring province
- living in a fishbowl if you are famous (Riders)
- Smaller community (everyone knows you)
- NDP
- Weak economy
- more crime per capita
- killer cold winters, although cant be as cold as Winnipeg.
- Mosaic (cant seem to experience that in Calgary)
- Grey cup festivities

Calgary - Pros
- Big city living (if you like that)
- Close to the mountains
- Food selection is tremendous
- Entertainment options galore
- High paying jobs
- Excellent opportunities if you are an entrepuer
- Go to a Stamps / Riders game and if you wear green, you are almost the majority.
- Lower income tax rates
- Lower property tax (Regina would triple my tax)
- Women are hotter here
- Golf course are much nicer
- more competitive job market which is good if yoiu are employee
- I heard that beer is cheaper too.
- I stand in my living room and see a beautiful view of the mountains
- Disposable income is higher
- culturally diverse (in Regina, people thought east indians were paki's which is not even close)

Calgary - Cons
- Traffic can sometimes be a mess, however, I live 22km from work and it takes me less time than it did in Regina to get from Walsh Acres to UofR.
- Housing can be expensive but depends on when you bought in.
- Not enough Sak ex-pats here
- Can be a bad feeling if you are wearing green at a Stamps / Riders game and we are losing
- a stupid field in the NW they call a park
- more gang crime
- more competitive job market which can be bad if you are employer

Thats about it in a quick minute...i didnt count PST and Health care premiums as they are a wash so dont even go there...
Can I show you an ad, it might change your mind ?

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 5:30 AM

Quote:
Can I show you an ad, it might change your mind ?

Company's spend billions on advertising every year...because it works. The point isn't to change someones mind. It puts the idea in their heads, though...and works to sway those who may be on the fence, or give an idea to people who maybe hadn't even thought about it in the first place. Advertising is about creating ideas, making people think and consider your product. Those ads might not work on someone like yeeg, but they will work on some of the people they are intended for.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 6:05 AM
Regina rhymes with fun!

We could be so much more if we'd stop treating the City like it's our own personal ashtray/landfill.

Inspired by our neighboUr, my wife and I regularly take one or two grocery bags with us on our nightly walks to pick up the trash we see along the way. We often don't get very far before the bag is overflowing with drink cups and assorted fast food related trash, paper, other plastic bags and car parts. I've often wanted to just focus on car parts, but my wife has said that our 15-minute walk to the grocery store will turn into a 45-minute "traffic accident reconstruction". The sad thing is that within the next two days, there's just as much new trash strewn about. Pick up your trash, you pigs.

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 6:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post
We could be so much more if we'd stop treating the City like it's our own personal ashtray/landfill.

Inspired by our neighboUr, my wife and I regularly take one or two grocery bags with us on our nightly walks to pick up the trash we see along the way. We often don't get very far before the bag is overflowing with drink cups and assorted fast food related trash, paper, other plastic bags and car parts. I've often wanted to just focus on car parts, but my wife has said that our 15-minute walk to the grocery store will turn into a 45-minute "traffic accident reconstruction". The sad thing is that within the next two days, there's just as much new trash strewn about. Pick up your trash, you pigs.
I AGREE!!!

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 1:58 PM

My buddy and I are thinking of going down to the convention center adn see what they have to say...I will make it easier on them to woo me back, if they can offer the same salary that I make today, doing the same thing with the same company, then we can talk...But there are only 10 positions for what I do in Saskatchewan...Normally if I move, I require a 20% increase to pay...

On Vibe985 this morning, they were talking about Regina and making these mock phone calls to people in Regina asking what is good about Regina....3 calls, 3 hang ups...Kinda funny if you ask me...

Old Posted May 2, 2007, 2:33 PM
BANNED

Quote:
My buddy and I are thinking of going down to the convention center adn see what they have to say...I will make it easier on them to woo me back, if they can offer the same salary that I make today, doing the same thing with the same company, then we can talk...But there are only 10 positions for what I do in Saskatchewan...Normally if I move, I require a 20% increase to pay...

On Vibe985 this morning, they were talking about Regina and making these mock phone calls to people in Regina asking what is good about Regina....3 calls, 3 hang ups...Kinda funny if you ask me...
Obviously, they didn't get a hold of Migs or they would still be on the phone.

Old Posted May 3, 2007, 12:16 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by babo View Post

This is a great idea, the city has a littering bylaw on the books but have you ever seen it enforced. In fact, the city spends 4-6 weeks every spring just picking litter. Usually there are close to 40 employees picking litter for this time, with an average wage of $15/hr. The total cost for litter pick up every year is around $150,000 or more. A littering fine is $500, so 300 tickets a year covers the cost and most likely reduces the amount of wages to clean up. The worst offenders are construction sites, they discard there wrappings and coverings anywhere and the wind always deposits them on public property. They should be charged the junk removal rate for any clean up resulting from their garbage.

Good point.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 2:38 AM

Well, can't remember which of you two hates your mayor, and which one supports the on-going marketing of Regina...

But, I'd have to say that "Think Regina" was all over Calgary for the past few days - including Fiacco on the A-Channel's BT (among other interviews). It received a very good dose of local news attention, and had some nice flashy inserts in the Calgary Herald.

I would really like to know how successful it was (or how they measure it) - but my guess is they did what they set out to do. I'm sure there will be a few more moving from Calgary.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 2:43 AM
Canadian Urbanite

Quote:
Originally Posted by IntotheWest View Post
Well, can't remember which of you two hates your mayor, and which one supports the on-going marketing of Regina...

But, I'd have to say that "Think Regina" was all over Calgary for the past few days - including Fiacco on the A-Channel's BT (among other interviews). It received a very good dose of local news attention, and had some nice flashy inserts in the Calgary Herald.

I would really like to know how successful it was (or how they measure it) - but my guess is they did what they set out to do. I'm sure there will be a few more moving from Calgary.
If you see any news clips on the internet regarding the event, could you please post them?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:18 AM
BANNED

Quote:

Pat does love the camera and promotion is his forte. However, running a city takes a wee bit more then that.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:22 AM

How much do residents of Regina like "mediocrity"?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:26 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by chris View Post
How much do residents of Regina like "mediocrity"?
Hmm..are you talking about the Habs or the Expos ?

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:31 AM

Quote:
Pat does love the camera and promotion is his forte. However, running a city takes a wee bit more then that.
That's fine Quimby, but I was talking specifically about the "Think Regina" event - not the overall success of Mayor Fiacco...

Regardless, he spoke well, and promoting ones city is part of the job.

CCF - I'll do a quick look to see if I can find anything...I have online access to the Herald, I'll see if I can find it now. Sorry, I just wasn't thinking about posting at the time.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:35 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Regardless, he spoke well, and promoting ones city is part of the job.
Well actually, it isn't.

That is usually for the Director of Communications/ Marketing( or whatever title for the department). The Mayor's job is to run the city and tend to governing it. Somewhere along the way, the mayor became a face, not a leader. It is truly sad. This isn't just Regina either. most cities have gone this way. The office is becoming a joke.

Old Posted May 4, 2007, 4:55 AM

^I didn't mean it was his full time job, but what mayor doesn't go for these types of trips to promote their city? It only adds credibility to it...

On a similar note, Calgary did the same thing a couple years ago with a big campaign in Toronto...Mayor Bronc showed up at that.

It is most definitely part of a politicians job.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan