HomeDiagramsDatabaseMapsForum About

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 6:56 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by roccerfeller View Post
yeah...

sad thing is, one day, we will have a mayor come along who will do that work and start limiting the amount of traffic lights around the city one busy/fast roads, and its going to cost us more money vs. if we did that from the start

but hey, at least the kenaston extension isnt going to bring another traffic light intersection, which is really good news.
For now the Kenaston/Bishop connection will be with a signalized intersection. They are only building the approach work for (wait for it) FUTURE construction of an interchange.

Sorry to wreck your day, but the city never does anything properly from the start.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Last edited by Biff; Nov 7, 2011 at 9:47 PM.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 6:59 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Biff View Post
For now the Kenaston/Bishop connection will be with a signalized intersection. They are only building the approach work for (wait for it) FUTURE construction of an interchange.

Sorry to wreck you day, but the city never does anything properly from the start.
Figures

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 9:45 PM

Its true. Look at the contract tender which stipulates "construction of embankments for future flyover."

Wow... just wow. Can't wait for that new light, and then another 2 years while they figure out how to coordinate it with the other traffic lights.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 10:01 PM

Quote:

Sorry to wreck your day, but the city never does anything properly from the start.
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mininari View Post

Its true. Look at the contract tender which stipulates "construction of embankments for future flyover."

Wow... just wow. Can't wait for that new light, and then another 2 years while they figure out how to coordinate it with the other traffic lights.

there are no words.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 10:02 PM

A kitten dies every time this city screws something up, Biff.

A kitten.

Old Posted Nov 7, 2011, 10:29 PM

Bishop Grandin/Kenaston is being done with 1 fly over, that being from SB Kenaston to EB Bishop Grandin. Traffic from NB Kenaston to NB Kenaston at Bishop Grandin and traffic from WB Bishop Grandin to SB Kenaston will have a signalized intersection.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 12:14 AM
Go kicky fast, okay!

That's like one of my favourite corners too whenever I drive around that bend. Now we have to "prepare to stop" mid-corner because they placed an intersection and traffic light, when they should have made a proper interchange.

Hurray for lack of vision, again!

Now, I'm not so sure.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 1:29 AM
Starring as himself

It's a lack of money. I'm sure that everyone knows it would be preferable to have an interchange there from the start, but there's no room for it in the budget for a few years. Unfortunately cities have budgets.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:03 AM

The flyover will be completed when rt90 is extended to pth100. The traffic going into waverley west does not warrant the constrution of the flyover. I am hearing that the South-East turn will have a long light.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 7:00 AM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Andy6 View Post
It's a lack of money. I'm sure that everyone knows it would be preferable to have an interchange there from the start, but there's no room for it in the budget for a few years. Unfortunately cities have budgets.
I call BS on that. We have hundreds of millions to build a Human Rights museum and a new Stadium, but not $10 million for a few diamond overpasses?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 7:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
I call BS on that. We have hundreds of millions to build a Human Rights museum and a new Stadium, but not $10 million for a few diamond overpasses?
I don't recall the city putting up hundreds of millions towards either of those projects... You may remember that the city voted to put up $7.5 Million towards the stadium, which will come from the revenues from the sale of the land the current stadium is on. For the Museum, they put up about $5 M towards the capital costs of the project. You can add about another $15 M to that in terms of waived fees, waived lease payments, and funneled PILT into the museum as well. However, that $15 M wouldn't exist if the museum weren't getting built anyway, so it's moot (there is no PILT, development fees, etc to waive on a gravel parking lot...)

Have you ever looked at the city's capital budget? Doesn't sound like it...

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 2:11 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Bishop Grandin/Kenaston is being done with 1 fly over, that being from SB Kenaston to EB Bishop Grandin. Traffic from NB Kenaston to NB Kenaston at Bishop Grandin and traffic from WB Bishop Grandin to SB Kenaston will have a signalized intersection.

This is partially right (if i'm reading it correctly). The flyover for southbound Kenaston to eastbound Bishop will be fairly long. It will have to accommodate the western extension of Bishop that will connect with the future William Clement Parkway extension.

There will be an intersection for the new portion of Kenaston and Bishop (kind of under the flyover.) The westbound Bishop to northbound Kenaston will be free flowing with and exit lane on the inside to connect to this new intersection.

......i tried to draw it but it is hard to do curved lines in paint.
"But a city can be smothered by too much reverence for its past. The skyline must keep acquiring new peaks, because the day we consider it complete and untouchable is the day the city begins to die." - Justin Davidson - May 2010 Issue of New York

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 3:19 PM

Quote:
This is partially right (if i'm reading it correctly). The flyover for southbound Kenaston to eastbound Bishop will be fairly long. It will have to accommodate the western extension of Bishop that will connect with the future William Clement Parkway extension.

There will be an intersection for the new portion of Kenaston and Bishop (kind of under the flyover.) The westbound Bishop to northbound Kenaston will be free flowing with and exit lane on the inside to connect to this new intersection.

......i tried to draw it but it is hard to do curved lines in paint.
Pretty much right. All of the drawings are available. http://www.winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/Folder...2011&YEAR=2011

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 3:44 PM
BANNED

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jets4Life View Post
Yeah but a lot of people would use those diamond overpasses!

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 3:47 PM
Closed account

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kinguni View Post
Pretty much right. All of the drawings are available. http://www.winnipeg.ca/MatMgt/Folder...2011&YEAR=2011
Quick question:

When a link like this is posted with many other links, which one of those sublinks is the master link that showes the final design concept?

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 4:12 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Quick question:

When a link like this is posted with many other links, which one of those sublinks is the master link that showes the final design concept?
The "Drawing Cover Page" gives an index of all the drawings.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 4:59 PM
What could go wrong?

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joshy View Post
Quick question:

Check out this drawing - 604-2011_Drawing_P3316_Sht02-R0.pdf

it's about halfway down. It's two after the Drawing Cover Page.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:01 PM

Seeing that this city is a major transportation hub and geared to become significantly larger in the near future, I worry if we are delaying a very important upgrade to our transport infrastructure - namely building freeways. From what I understand, trucks can use a significant amount of fuel getting up to speed from a full stop to 100km/hr.

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 5:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dennis View Post
Seeing that this city is a major transportation hub and geared to become significantly larger in the near future, I worry if we are delaying a very important upgrade to our transport infrastructure - namely building freeways. From what I understand, trucks can use a significant amount of fuel getting up to speed from a full stop to 100km/hr.
though where would we build a freeway? no space in the city unless we convert current expressway patches to a proper full access freeway (which won't happen any time soon)

Also, consider, the future transport infrastructure is all going to be primarily centred around the Inland Port, and there is going to be an expressway system there starting with CentrePort Canada Way, and it has access to the Perimeter HWY - where most of the trucks would be

Best thing would be to make the Perimeter a freeway - get rid of the light controlled intersections, reconfigure road systems around small street exits, and street lights (for nighttime driving) around the entire ring, not just where there are interchanges or within city territory

but that's easier said than done since it would involve a concerted effort and plan of action, direction (there is some direction there but nothing "full steam ahead" that I know of) and there would have to be some sort of cooperation between the city and province since its a Provincial highway

Old Posted Nov 8, 2011, 6:47 PM
Fossil fuel & rubber

Just wondering, are there any businesses committed to moving into Centreport? I have yet to see any announcements as such and worry that this is another poorly planned road to nowhere.

This discussion thread continues

Use the page links to the lower-right to go to the next page for additional posts

Go Back   SkyscraperPage Forum > Regional Sections > Canada > Manitoba & Saskatchewan